BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#71816 - 12/01/08 07:14 AM Re: More swearing on ESPN... [Re: Dennis Michael]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: m/ Michigan
Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael

About 10 pm, I called my satellite service to see if there was anything I could do. Got some young lady in Idaho, who put me through some restart, and unplug/replug routines. All to no avail.

Dennis,
At least you did'nt get someone trying to fix your problem in Chicago, giving you advice from.. India...in broken english non the less.

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#71824 - 12/01/08 10:11 AM Re: More swearing on ESPN... [Re: Brian Longo]
Chubbs Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 30/M/Niceville, FL
Originally Posted By: Brian Longo
What bothers me is the double standard that sponsors and viewers seem to have. I didn't hear any outrage from viewers or sponsors after Tiger Woods had this outburst. Nobody's asking to take away the mics from the tee box or from the fairway reporters. Tiger might've been fined, but nobody's saying, "Gee, how unprofessional of him to do that." Golf seems to be pretty strong and it's still selling, and it's supposed to be a "white collar sport" and "gentleman's game". But let's not swear on the lanes - no no, what a travesty that would be. People aren't as "shocked" by swearing on TV or by athletes as much as they were 20, even 30 years ago.

You're right, there is a double standard in the case of TW. To hear Nike, the PGA, AMEX etc. tell it, he's a water walker. I'm one of a handful of golfers/golf fans who don't like his act. Appreciate the scope of his talents, yes, but that's where it ends.

It's not golf that's strong and still selling, it's Tiger.How much have you heard about golf in the past few months outside of the occasional interview with Tiger about his rehab? Even at the Ryder Cup, while the Americans were winning without him, the conversation always came back to the god that is Tiger. It's ridiculous. You don't hear anybody hold Tiger accountable for things like you mentioned because to do so would be to become a pariah. He's become bigger than the sport, and it will eventually do serious harm to the game of golf in America. You can already see it in the lack of interest in the game when he's not playing. How will it be when he quits playing altogether?

To sum up, you're correct that there is a double standard. However, it doesn't excuse anybody's conduct.

Quintana...that creep can roll, man. -Dude

Wow, that ball hit like it was plastic. -Jeff Carter

#71827 - 12/01/08 11:39 AM Re: More swearing on ESPN... [Re: Chubbs]
eastwest Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: No. VA
Wow, what an opinionated thread this came to be. Some of y'all got quite defensive :-o

I'll make my point again that the swearing does not bother me personally. I, as I'm sure you all do, hear "colorful" language on a daily basis. What DOES seem to be the problem about swearing on the PBA broadcasts, is the negative effect this could have on the growth of bowling.

I understand fully there are bigger issues at hand for the sport, but it by no means helps our situation by having Rash, Simard, Malott or any pro casually dropping F bombs and what not on a weekly basis. Think of the youth bowlers who will personally choose, or have their parents decide for them, that they don't want their kid turning to a sport filled with bad actors. That's not what our sport is, but when the only exposure to a national audience is the Sunday event, the pros should do what they can to elevate bowling.

As the saying goes... "if you're not growing, you're dying".
------------
R.I.P. DC ABT Chapter >:-|
------------
My 6th-Round.com MMA news and opinion site

#71839 - 12/01/08 05:57 PM Re: More swearing on ESPN... [Re: eastwest]
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Jacksonville, NC
I guess, as always, I am an "oddball" with my thinking. I really don't care about "image" - you do something because you like it and you do the best you can at it. I didn't decide to resume playing golf 8 years ago because of Tiger. I didn't play hockey as a kid because of Wayne Gretzky. I didn't play basketball because of Michael Jordan. I didn't play football or baseball because of (insert 80's superstar here). I did them because I liked them. If those "idols" did something stupid and broke the law or *gasp* swore, well, Holy Moses, you mean they're actually human? They're not gods or immortal? You don't say...

Yes, I, too, am colorful with my language. I use the f-word and the like as everyday adjectives, nouns, and adverbs. I also am very harsh on myself when I screw up, and, invariably, those words come flying out and I'll cuss myself like a dog. I haven't cussed out another bowler in a few years, at least someone who didn't deserve it (the last time for that was nearly 20 years ago). People have been known to put a pool on me to see when I'll blow up next, and, like JedC, I've been rather "tame" and "disappointing" as far as entertainment value, but I've had my moments and probably will struggle with my "passion" for as long as I play the game.

I understand the flip side of the argument, but I don't buy it, really. I know that by default, sports figures are iconic in nature and are held to be "role models", but kids' icons and role models should be their parents and their elders, not some guy/gal on TV. Oh, sure, I idolized Jordan, Gretzky, Mark McGwire, etc. when I was growing up. But I knew they were a) human and b) the elite of their respective sports, and because they weren't actually immortal, they would make human mistakes. But that's because my true idols, my parents, taught me the difference a long time ago. I agreed with Charles Barkley when he said, "I am not a role model". He wasn't. Society made him a role model, but he was not a role model, and he wasn't mine, but he had entertainment value almost in a "WWE-like" fashion. I thought he was hilarious.

And you can single out the bad seeds of any sport - the "Pacman Joneses" of any sport - but really, those are few and far between. Pete Weber, for years, was a j erk, and honestly, still is to a certain degree, but he's now considered "intense and passionate" as opposed to "a jack-ass" 20-30 years ago. Sure, for some it would be nice to see 4 or 5 guys being "pleasant" on the lanes week after week, but not me. Bowling is a "do or die" sport - there are no mulligans or second chances. I want to see someone's passion for the sport, whether it's deemed "good" or "bad", not some stupid robot that throws a ball in the ditch on a 4 bagger and says, "oh, pooh, I made a boo-boo". That's unrealistic. I would dare say the bulk of you who read and post to this board don't go "oh, pooh, I made a boo-boo" when you make some really bad mistake at work, now do you? I'm sure something short of the "f-bomb" is let loose at some point unless those words aren't in your vocabulary. You may not openly show your disgust at yourself, and if you don't, cherish the fact that you can control your emotions that well, but the rest of humanity isn't blessed with that kind of control.

But back to the actual topic; if you want to eliminate the opportunity for a cuss word to come out, take away the mics, whether it's strapped to the athlete themselves, or on the field of play (the parabolic mics on the sidelines of NFL games come to mind as well as the tee box mics on the golf courses). If that's not plausible, do the delay. Otherwise, if you want "up front, edge of your seat, real-time action", you're going to have to put up with "up front, edge of your seat, real-time action language", and it's not always G or PG rated.

#71840 - 12/01/08 06:10 PM Re: More swearing on ESPN... [Re: eastwest]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Eastwest, I found this to be a rather nice discussion that covered a variety of topics including some great technical support from a satellite company.

Dennis, throw snowballs at the dish to dislodge snow? You would think that people that work for a satellite company would know that hitting them can knock them off alignment. Over the last several months I've been working in rental apartment and townhouse complexes where these dishes are installed on a cinder block, in a bucket of concrete or attached to a rail and we try to avoid touching them at all.
HS:763

#71841 - 12/01/08 07:35 PM Re: More swearing on ESPN... [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Originally Posted By: infernocal

Dennis, throw snowballs at the dish to dislodge snow? You would think that people that work for a satellite company would know that hitting them can knock them off alignment. Over the last several months I've been working in rental apartment and townhouse complexes where these dishes are installed on a cinder block, in a bucket of concrete or attached to a rail and we try to avoid touching them at all.

In most cases, it is against apartment rules or Condo Declarations to permanently afix a satellite dish to the building. Hence, the concrete bucket and a pole. But, that never stopped the cable guy from running cable all over the outside of the building to wire from room to room.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#71842 - 12/01/08 08:16 PM Re: More swearing on ESPN... [Re: Dennis Michael]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
I know its against the rules to permanently afix a satellite dish to a building in most of those properties. My point is that we who don't have anything to do with the satellites know that you don't do anything that could cause the dish to move slightly yet someone that is part of technical services is giving advice that can do so. Even if we are working on a single house residence that has a dish installed on the house we take great care around it as to not throw off it's alignment with the satellites its receiving signals from.
HS:763

#71846 - 12/01/08 09:54 PM Re: More swearing on ESPN... [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Cal, and others interested:

Check this out. A snow/rain cover for your satellite dish.

http://www.wedgiecovers.com/
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#71856 - 12/02/08 05:05 AM Re: More swearing on ESPN... [Re: Dennis Michael]
180fury Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 30/m/hatton,al
dennis just shoot the dish and the snow will surely fall off laugh and you would also have a drain hole for the rain and snow to go through. thumbsup or just throw a bowling ball while your at it. geez i know what you mean cal by people in a tech department telling you to do something like that. but most have no real idea that there is a real world out there either.

the espn thing.... just lose the mikes and problem solved. i agree with erin. also look at nascar and anything that is ufc or wwe. not much people losing interest there. so i think its going to be ok if something gets past , but the 5 second deley's not a bad idea either. yes bowling has a bad rep. but so does nascar. i love both and i love watching ufc to. and it most defently has a bad rep. but it is 2008 and thats just how things is now or days. things anit going back to the 40's or 60's sorry. people just think it is and its not. if things like american idol and anything on mtv can be on TV then things are not going to get better. but that is also espn's fault for letting them guys have mikes. and they shouldn't be live. just taped and cut. about it. also i do like your outlook on it brian. it makes sense. plus i'm no saint either. so i agree with ya.

in my bag :
15# track--up rising
15# brunswick--super zone powerkoil international release
15# track--kinetic energy
16# morich--awesome finish
15# ebonite--clash
14# lanehawk-- lucky strike

#71860 - 12/02/08 07:10 AM Re: More swearing on ESPN... [Re: 180fury]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
Ok, I missed this the first time around, so I went back on my DVR last night and watched.

I fail to see the big stink. The guy, in his second time on TV, trying for his first title, shoots a 289 with the front 10. In a moment when there is no reason for any microphone near him to be on, he expresses genuine nervousness/excitement/almost relief that the pressure of that game is over. It seemed almost like he had been holding his breath for 10 frames, and finally let it out with that comment to Wes.

Good for him for being human.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by SteveH - 09/17/19 11:06 AM
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - 09/12/19 12:24 AM
USBC Rule 12
by Dennis Michael - 09/10/19 07:26 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Mkirchie - 09/03/19 03:33 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.