BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#71646 - 11/27/08 11:14 PM Me bowling...advice?
whiz Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 25/M/OK
here goes nothing! ;P

What are the main things you can see wrong? i just started my first league this fall and im trying to iron out the kinks. i have alot of trouble with balance but alot of times i may fall or slip my shot still hits my mark and strikes why is that? how can i fix it?

the shots of me in shorts are about a year old...any that i have on pants are taken since this fall league started....

Edited by whiz (11/27/08 11:21 PM)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#71649 - 11/27/08 11:40 PM Re: Me bowling...advice? [Re: whiz]
Upriser Offline
2 x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 34/male/australia/south austra...
Hey Whiz, i dont think im at the level to give advice, but i enjoyed watching your vid...Just throw your strike (hahaha)
Storm Heat
Track Spare

#71650 - 11/27/08 11:59 PM Re: Me bowling...advice? [Re: Upriser]
NewEnglandBowler Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 24/m/MA, USA
From what i can tell (and you already have noticed), the main problem is the balance issue. it seemed to be worse in the older clips (ones with shorts instead of long pants) and better in the newer ones, so it looks like you have improved in that. good job. the only other thing i can see as a problem could be that your shot seems to be very muscled. do not quote me on that, though. One of the more experienced members could offer better advice than i could.
HS: 766 (4/25/13)
Career:
HG: 300 (4/11/12) VG Nano
HS: 766 (4/25/13) Jet Black Taboo

League
Innovate, First Blood, Jet Black Taboo, T-Zone Orange

#71651 - 11/28/08 12:09 AM Re: Me bowling...advice? [Re: NewEnglandBowler]
J.Brown Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 31/Ohio/USA
I'm no expert but to me it looks like your leaning over to the right to much which is why your falling over at the end of your shot. Your chin should be more inline with your foot then it is atleast this is what my ball driller/lesson giver has told me lol, and your pulling your arm across you which looks like in most shots that's how your counter balancing your body being to far to the right. Your arm should end up to the right of your head not the left. And the swing does look muscled alot towards the end.

I maybe be wrong lol and i'm sure there's alot more. I used to do alot of the same things your doing, my hook also decreased when i started changing all that stuff.

Edited by J.Brown (11/28/08 12:28 AM)

Grape Vibe
Onyx Vibe
T-Road pearl
Tropical Storm

#71666 - 11/28/08 02:13 PM Re: Me bowling...advice? [Re: J.Brown]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
It would be a lot easier without the speed changes. From what I can see, most of your problems come from 2 things - lack of knee bend, and trying really hard to hook the ball.

You have a great hand position - you really don't need to rip through it like that. Try keeping your arm straight and letting the ball roll off your hand. You'll be surprised how much reaction you get.

As far as knee bend, you are basically finishing in a standing pose. Get your left knee bent when you slide, and sit your hips and butt low. It should be like sitting in a chair - hips back, chest fairly upright. Make sure your trail leg moves out of the way of the ball, get that deep knee bend, and let the ball roll off your hand, and you will see yourself get a *lot* more strikes.

I see you're a 153 average, so working on your spare game would probably help your average the most, but working on the things above should help you leave less spares, and easier ones.

To answer your question about bad shots striking, that is typical of a house oil pattern. Not sure how much you know about this, so I'll go basic - you probably know there is oil on the lanes. It only goes down part way, about 2/3 of way to the pins. There is a bunch of oil in the middle, and less towards the gutter, so if you miss inside, the ball slides into the pocket, and if you miss outside, the ball hooks earlier and gets back to the pocket. Harder oil patterns won't give you that luxury.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#71682 - 11/28/08 09:48 PM Re: Me bowling...advice? [Re: whiz]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Here are the issues I see that you need to work on the most:

1. You need to start your swing about 1/2 step sooner, you have long arms and it is making your timing late to the point where you have to cut off your swing and pull the ball through at the line.

2. Try to let the ball swing from your shoulder without following the ball down with your upper body after the push away.

3. Your left leg doesn't seem to bend much, is there something wrong with your left knee or hip that is preventing you from bending into the slide?

4. Your release is very grabby, but that is the least of your problems for now, work on 1,2 and 3 and post a follow up video when you are ready.

#71683 - 11/28/08 11:34 PM Re: Me bowling...advice? [Re: CoachJim]
whiz Offline
League Bowler

- there was a point in time when everytime i went to bowl my lower left quad / left knee began to hurt. the more i bowled the worst it got. then ive noticed the pain completely left maybe 2 months ago...no need to wear a knee brace or anything..maybe i was bending my knee then and somehow stopped to compinsate(sp) now? im going to focus on bending my knee to get lower instead of leaning and see if the pain comes back...and stick with it at least long enough to see how my balance improves...

- as far as my arm swing i think the bottom of it is muscled/controlled but i try hard to keep the beginning free. it seems hard to have a completely free swing unless im throwing the ball straight at spares or throwing end over end strike ball that i practice from time to time. it seems like the stronger the finger position i try to keep the more muscled my swing becomes (even though i still get more revs)

- ive tried to play around with my balance hand out in front of me with my thumb down (chris barnes, pete Weber, norm duke) but it seems to throw me even more off balance or i keep my balance and my shot is extremely futher left or right of were im aiming?!?

Edited by whiz (11/28/08 11:42 PM)

#71687 - 11/29/08 01:57 AM Re: Me bowling...advice? [Re: whiz]
JStevensMD Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 27/M/MD
That pain can also be attributed to compression of the sciatic nerve from a lower back issue such as a bulging disc. The disc might have healed up in the meantime.
15# Sidewinder
15# Hy-Road

#71694 - 11/29/08 07:52 AM Re: Me bowling...advice? [Re: whiz]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Quote:
as far as my arm swing i think the bottom of it is muscled/controlled but i try hard to keep the beginning free. it seems hard to have a completely free swing unless im throwing the ball straight at spares or throwing end over end strike ball that i practice from time to time. it seems like the stronger the finger position i try to keep the more muscled my swing becomes (even though i still get more revs)

The reason your swing gets more muscled when you try to put more revs on it is because you are trying to put revs on it instead of just keeping your wrist in position and letting the ball just roll off your hand. It takes much practice and patients to learn to do this and everybody seems to have this problem from time to time. You have to learn to build trust that if you keep your wrist and hand in position to the release point that the ball will hook, it may take a long while to build up this trust, but when you do your scores will take off, so stay with it at least in practice.

Your balance arm needs to be up and out at shoulder height, keeping your balance arm down causes your weight to shift too far to the right and shifts your center of gravity to the right which causes you to slide to the left. This takes much practice to get used to as well, and will help prevent soreness in your legs and back like JstevensMD said. I don't know if your back was hurting or not, but watching you bowl was making mine hurt, so please head his and my advice before you hurt yourself.

#71702 - 11/29/08 12:01 PM Re: Me bowling...advice? [Re: CoachJim]
whiz Offline
League Bowler

whaaaa, i forget to mention i was also doing heavy wieght lifting in the gym(deadlifts and squats) and repetive somewhat heavy lifting 8 hours a night at work stocking. i had no back pain whatsoever and the leg pain only showed up when i bowled never during anything else but i got so wore down working and working out that i got a new job and stop wieght lifting for that time being. i just started again last week but i have different goals im going to take it easy.

yep jim im going to work on that i cant risk getting hurt!

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - Yesterday at 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.