BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#71243 - 11/22/08 09:01 PM follow up of playing the inside part of the ball
chipmunk bowl Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 14/M/UK
i read a post on playing the inside part of the ball and it stated that the pros get a higher rev rate and playing the inside part of the ball plays a part in that. but i use a four step approach, on the first step i put my hand the release position, second step i begin to level it out, third step i level it out and have my hand postions about 11 o clock then on the follow through i drop my shoulder which helps me get more revs and then i tear round with my hand and i get pretty good revs doing that (with a conventional grip). is there something unusual about this as i do not keep my hand any where near the inside part of the ball and i get pretty good revs with fingertip i get even more revs 9after testing my mates Ebonite tornado

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#71249 - 11/22/08 09:53 PM Re: follow up of playing the inside part of the ball [Re: chipmunk bowl]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Welcome to the site.

When someone refers to playing the inside of the ball it is during the swing and at the release is when you "come around" the ball. This is really coming around the ball so much as coming to the back of the ball as the thumb comes out. You can get decent revs not doing this, but even more when you do. A finger tip ball also gives you better revs when compared to conventional and if you add the two together a good amount of revs.
HS:763

#71256 - 11/22/08 10:25 PM Re: follow up of playing the inside part of the ball [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Its not just the hand you have to think about. But when the say "work the inside of the ball" they are also including the arm swing. The Pros keep their arm swing very close to their body and they NEVER chicken wing the ball with their elbow flying out.
Erin

#71265 - 11/23/08 08:32 AM Re: follow up of playing the inside part of the ball [Re: Atochabsh]
chipmunk bowl Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 14/M/UK
theres my problem with playing the inside part of the ball i always chicken wing it and also get even less revs

#71457 - 11/25/08 06:47 PM Re: follow up of playing the inside part of the ball [Re: chipmunk bowl]
coasterlover420 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 17/M/NM
One way to help with chicken winging is to concentrate, not necessarily on keeping your elbow straight, but pointing it towards tour body. When you keep your elbow in, there's no way you can get your hand around the ball, thus keeping it behind the ball where you want it. Keeping your elbow completely straight is not a necessity in bowling; it might actually hinder your game a bit because it could throw you off balance. Also, when your elbow is completely straight, you are relying completely on the strength of your wrist to hold the ball in position, which could cause injury (depending on what weight you throw).

Also, another thing that could cause getting around the ball would be slumping forward. If you aren't upright at the foul line, then your hand will most likely rotate around the ball. You can see even just standing up right where you are. Stand up and see where your hand is, then slump forward and you'll notice that it turns in toward your body. Keeping upright also requires a very steady head. If you jerk your head at the end of your approach, then you'll probably get around the ball. Keeping your head steady will not only help you stay balanced, work the inside of the ball, and keep you upright, it will also make you much more accurate.

Try this. Fold up a towel to maybe 6" by 6" or so and place it on the top of your head. Throw a ball, and if the towel flies off, then you're jerking your head. This is a really easy practice tool; you may look like an idiot, but you'll end up being the one throwing more strikes (and spares too).

#71462 - 11/25/08 07:51 PM Re: follow up of playing the inside part of the ball [Re: Atochabsh]
howiegroove Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 28/M/Orlando, FL
Originally Posted By: Atochabsh
chicken wing Erin

mmmmmm....CHICKEN WINGS.....mmmmmmm

15# Ebonite NVD
15# Hammer Hot Sauce
15# Track Uprising
15# Track Kinetic Pearl
15# Hammer Emerald Vibe
15# Roto-Grip Clear (spares)

VISE IT System

#71489 - 11/25/08 08:18 PM Re: follow up of playing the inside part of the ba [Re: howiegroove]
Rack Wrecker Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 19/M/Cleveland, Ohio
wow! This really made me laugh! Thank you for that! And chicken winging is such a pain... I hate when I screw up and oops, there goes the elbow. Curses. Focus and concentration plus relaxing helps me with this issue laugh

I'm an English major, "if my doctor told me I had only 6 minutes to live I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster."

#71502 - 11/26/08 01:23 AM Re: follow up of playing the inside part of the ba [Re: Rack Wrecker]
NewEnglandBowler Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 24/m/MA, USA
chicken wings are good w/bleu cheese. laugh

omnomnomnomnom. <---website, put www in front and com at the end, and you will understand if you don't already

but a chicken wing (singular) is my worst enemy ATM. i had the front 8 at the state scholarship tournament and chicken-winged the 9th shot and left 4 pins. frown
HS: 766 (4/25/13)
Career:
HG: 300 (4/11/12) VG Nano
HS: 766 (4/25/13) Jet Black Taboo

League
Innovate, First Blood, Jet Black Taboo, T-Zone Orange

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Lane transition and changing balls
by Dennis Michael - Today at 10:10 AM
No interest in PBA Experience Leagues
by Dennis Michael - Today at 10:06 AM
Summer Leagues 2014 thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 10:34 PM
Sign-up for Fall '14 V-league open (close 8/17)
by Richie V. - 07/29/14 02:30 PM
Tournaments 2013-2014
by Joe Bowler - 07/28/14 11:54 PM
Brunswick sold
by BIGHMW - 07/28/14 10:07 PM
The Sinister Unfolds
by SteveH - 07/26/14 12:58 PM
2013-2014 Honor Scores
by BOSStull - 07/26/14 08:46 AM
Add Bowling Revs By Adding Lag
by BOSStull - 07/26/14 07:57 AM
Very Strange Ball Track Problem
by Dennis Michael - 07/24/14 02:05 PM
Resurfacing the Storm Byte
by djp1080 - 07/23/14 11:55 PM
Trying to understand this statement
by SteveH - 07/23/14 10:24 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2014 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.