BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#71484 - 11/25/08 06:40 PM Hit the wall badly tonight!
Stuart O Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: 37, Male, West Sussex, UK
Boy did I suffer tonight. I'm back bowling after a five year absence (see my post in The Lounge - 'Greetings from the UK') and so far have been riding high on a 200+ average hitting 600+ series. Great start to the league so far. Well it came tumbling down tonight.

The lanes were FLOODED tonight. Hardly any movement and nothing in my arsenal to combat it. After three games bowling trios, my ball was still coming back with a solid oil track on it - and there were at least two other people on our lanes playing a similar line to me.

I started tonight with a 212 average, I finished the night with a 507 series (153 / 192 / 162). God knows how I got a high second game, I think it was down to spares 'cos it certainly wasn't strikes.

I'm now on the hunt for something that can handle heavy oil.

Stuart.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#71493 - 11/25/08 09:50 PM Re: Hit the wall badly tonight! [Re: Stuart O]
Jay R. Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 21/M/Tacoma, WA
Get a Maxxx Zone for that stuff if you're seriously getting a heavy oil ball soon.

Bad nights happen sometimes, especially when we're caught off guard by something different. Fortunately, this post wasn't about what I thought it was. When I read the title I was thinking you smashed your hand into the wall some how.

#71498 - 11/26/08 01:02 AM Re: Hit the wall badly tonight! [Re: Jay R.]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Well at least you should now be on the watch for extreme conditions. Its tough when you have fairly consistent lane conditions and then get blind sided. Doesn't mean it'll happen next week too, probably be different again. But you hung tough for 500 series.....that's good for being blind sided. Don't know if a new ball would have helped,maybe, but next time you see the same lane symptoms it might pay to take a huge step in lane position (something you might not normally do) before you battle with it all night.

Good going, could have been worse.

Erin

#71507 - 11/26/08 07:55 AM Re: Hit the wall badly tonight! [Re: Atochabsh]
Stuart O Offline
Junior Coach

Hi Erin,

I was moving a few boards right on the approach but I wasn't able to get a consistent line. Before I stopped bowling five year ago I had Storm Trauma which I used to throw wide (just outside of second arrow) and it used to come back. Now I appear to have hit a physcological block in that I can't throw past third arrow at the moment.

I'm going to see if I can get some coaching this weekend.

Stuart,

#71510 - 11/26/08 08:32 AM Re: Hit the wall badly tonight! [Re: Stuart O]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: m/ Michigan
Stuart,
I ran into a similar situation just last week and really struggled. I eventually did just what Erin has suggested. The only thing that remotely worked for me was to play way outside, I'm talking between the 5 board and the 1 board. Its a tough place to play, but it can really become quite a weapon once you get used to it.

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#71511 - 11/26/08 08:36 AM Re: Hit the wall badly tonight! [Re: Stuart O]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
You'd get over that quick at our center, since the house shot plays around 7 - 5. When its oily then you have to slow down, target closer or get even further outside. And a lot of fellow league bowlers are using things like the dull Cell, Ebonite Big One dull, Infinite One. In other words they are using dull strong equipment too. Unless you have a bunch of hand, you'd be leaving washouts aiming the third arrow. I think people like Leanne Barrett only shoot 3rd arrow and deeper at our center.

Seems like you are doing fine though. The Trauma is probably quite oil soaked. You'd be surprised at the reaction you'd get from a new ball.

Erin

#71551 - 11/26/08 03:54 PM Re: Hit the wall badly tonight! [Re: Atochabsh]
Stuart O Offline
Junior Coach

Quote:
Seems like you are doing fine though. The Trauma is probably quite oil soaked. You'd be surprised at the reaction you'd get from a new ball.

The Trauma has been retired. I bought a new Brunswick Smash Zone at the end of Sept and that's what I have been using so far.

Stuart.

#71552 - 11/26/08 04:02 PM Re: Hit the wall badly tonight! [Re: Stuart O]
leftykev Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: Spokane, WA
I can relate. Just last week in league, I started with a 257 game, and about midway through the 1st game, I started getting erratic with my overall approach and shot. It got worse the 2nd game, resulting in a humbling 138 game. I didn't panic and stayed calm, working though my approach till I worked out the issue, finishing with a 206 for an impressive 601 series.

At the end of the night, I was target of everyone's jest for that 2nd game, and we all had a good laugh.

It pays to stay positive and focused on the moment.

#71559 - 11/26/08 05:29 PM Re: Hit the wall badly tonight! [Re: leftykev]
eastwest Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: No. VA
Cheers for hanging touch and grinding out a 500+ series bud.
------------
R.I.P. DC ABT Chapter >:-|
------------
My 6th-Round.com MMA news and opinion site

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - 09/12/19 12:24 AM
USBC Rule 12
by Dennis Michael - 09/10/19 07:26 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Mkirchie - 09/03/19 03:33 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.