BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#71338 - 11/24/08 10:17 AM please analyze
Lebman Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 24/m/Austria
Hello guys

I've been bowling for one month now, and I've been improving on a steady basis. Still I'm far away from having a proper technique, and my game is still at a very early stage, so please keep that in mind.

I do have a coach, but maybe you guys could give me a few hints as well. Can’t really wrap up 50 bucks each week for a decent coach, but I’ll try to take lessons at least twice a month from now on.
I've uploaded a few videos of myself, maybe you guys could give me some critique.

I won’t just post my strikes, since most of them weren’t good shots anyways and noone cares about some lucky strikes. I’d rather post my disastrous shots, so I can get some real critique.

a few of my “better” shots (far from good, and I still suffer from the same problems mentioned above, but those were a few shots that didn’t feel totally wrong)

a few HORRIBLE shots:

a few shots from the side (bad cameraman):

Things I've been noticing about myself:

1) My left foot isn't pointing towards my target, it's pointing to the right.
That leads to me playing out near the gutter, instead of playing straight over the 2nd arrow and I don’t have the revs to get the ball back to the pocket with the line I’m playing (yet)
When I manage to keep my foot straight, I almost always miss my target, and the ball goes way to the left.

2) I really try to keep my upper body straight, still I feel like I'm almost crouching throughout the approach.
When I try to keep my upper body straight, and bend my knees during the slide/release I almost always screw up the release

3) My wrist is pretty loose. I have no problems tightening up my wrist, I also get way more revs that way, but when I do so, my armswing isn’t free anymore. When I tighten up my wrist, I can feel that I’m guiding the ball through the swing, rather than letting gravity do it’s work.

4) I have huge balance issues

As you can see in the “horrible shots” section, I have problems keeping my balance after the release.Why is that? Is that a timing issue, or is my stance after the release incorrect?

I’d really appreciate a few pointers from you guys, and don’t be shy with critique, I can take it.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#71339 - 11/24/08 10:20 AM Re: please analyze [Re: Lebman]
howiegroove Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 28/M/Orlando, FL
Let me know if anyone wants to see this in slow motion.

15# Ebonite NVD
15# Hammer Hot Sauce
15# Track Uprising
15# Track Kinetic Pearl
15# Hammer Emerald Vibe
15# Roto-Grip Clear (spares)

VISE IT System

#71345 - 11/24/08 10:38 AM Re: please analyze [Re: howiegroove]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Quote:
As you can see in the “horrible shots” section, I have problems keeping my balance after the release.Why is that?

Feet are moving too fast. or arm is moving too slow. Since for me its easier to slow down my feet that's what I recommend. It'll feel almost like slow motion at first. But if you can slow down to the point where you can get your balance, you can speed up later. But first you need to get that feeling of balance at the line. Make sure your second to last step is not too big, and use this step to set up your balance instead of waiting for the last one. Keep in mind when you are trying any physical change in your delivery you cannot also expect accuracy at the beginning. So when you say I do "X" for example and my accuracy is off, don't worry about it too much. Of course your accuracy will be off when you are trying to establish new skills.

Also stay down at the line. You are almost perfectly upright throughout the approach and come up more at the release. This is where the knee bend thing comes into play. You want to gradually lower yourself into the release and then stay down there. Instead of thinking knee bend, think....lower hips. The whole package has to go down.

Erin

#71347 - 11/24/08 10:39 AM Re: please analyze [Re: howiegroove]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
You don't really look too comfortable going to the line. You also seem to cut off the backswing, and as a result you have to run to the line in order to get your timing synched up. It looks like you end up getting there a little early though. My expert advice:

Let the ball swing behind you. You're holding it above your waist, but the backswing stops just past knee height. It should get a good bit higher on its own. Slow down the first steps just a pinch. The swing will be longer, so you will need to take a little more time getting to the foul line. The speed of the last 2 steps is pretty good, so try just making the first 2 a little slower. You want the ball to be next to your left ankle right after your foot has stopped sliding. Finally, getting more knee bend and less forward lean would help you out. It should be like sitting in a chair - torso pretty upright (there should be the slightest bend forward), deep knee bend, butt low.

1) Let the ball swing
2) Slow down first step (keep the speed of the last steps)
3) Butt low, chest up

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#71352 - 11/24/08 10:57 AM Re: please analyze [Re: cgeorg]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Lebman, where's the fire? Slow your feet down. You get to the line way before your ball. You cut your swing short, and pitch the ball. All, to get the ball to catch up to your feet.

When you do this, your arm goes in different directions than straight at your target.

Relax.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#71360 - 11/24/08 12:12 PM Re: please analyze [Re: Dennis Michael]
Lebman Offline
League Bowler

thanks a lot for all the input guys.
Seems like I have a to work on my timing/armswing much more.

I'll keep that in mind the next time I'm going to the lanes.

Pretty funny considering I've spent the whole last week slowing down. I've been rushing the approach much more just two weeks ago.
Seems like I didn't slow down enough tho.

@howie

I'd love to see a few shots in Slo-mo

#71370 - 11/24/08 02:22 PM Re: please analyze [Re: Lebman]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
The first thing I would like to see you work on is your arm swing.

Right now your swing is cut off and very short, I would like to see a long flowing swing. Your next practice start off the session by taking some practice swings and see how high you can comfortably swing the ball without forcing it, then do your approach with the same swing you did in the practice swing. Then record a couple more shots from the side from head to toe.

Don't work on anything else until you get your swing fixed first because that dictates how everything else should fall in place, so increase your swing and post another video.

Welcome to the site.

#71371 - 11/24/08 02:25 PM Re: please analyze [Re: CoachJim]
Lebman Offline
League Bowler

thank you very much for your input CoachJim.
I've been doing swing exercises for 2 weeks now (swinging at the foul line and releasing the ball, as well as swinging throughout the approach)

I'll keep doing that and I'll post another video on Sunday. (got 2 more practice sessions till then)

#71375 - 11/24/08 02:52 PM Re: please analyze [Re: Lebman]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Sounds like a good plan, swing first everything else later.

#71513 - 11/26/08 08:55 AM Re: please analyze [Re: Lebman]
Lebman Offline
League Bowler

I have a 3 hour pratice session today, I'm going to work on my armswing some more.

I'm wondering if a 5 step approach would help me with my timing issues. I can feel I'm rushing the approach too much, and I have real problems keeping the first step in sync with my arm.
I've heard from a lot of people that switching to a 5 step approach has helped them slowing down a bit.

opinions?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Belmo and the 2020 US Open
by champ - 02/25/20 02:22 PM
This is a damned shame
by champ - 02/24/20 06:12 PM
What to do?
by Mkirchie - 02/01/20 07:45 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.