BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#70774 - 11/16/08 11:53 PM Re: League rule help [Re: SilentTuba]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
Jekyl - It doesn't matter how many times you explain it. It's against the rules.

Here's a Q&A about switching hands.

Quote:

118e/1
May a bowler switch his/her delivery after the start of the season due to injury?

Yes. However, the bowler is required to obtain permission from the league’s board of directors. If the bowler were later able to return to their original hand delivery, permission would again have to be obtained from the board. No combination of scores bowled both right- and left-handed can be used in computing an average. Therefore, two separate averages would have to be maintained. A bowler who switches without permission forfeits those games.

By USBC rule, the games you bowled with the hand other than the one you started the league with are forfeited.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#70775 - 11/16/08 11:56 PM Re: League rule help [Re: SilentTuba]
Lefty Offline
Legend

Originally Posted By: SilentTuba
Others have explained that they think it is not a foolish rule, and have gone so far as to explain how severe the penalty might be for breaking it.

There's really not a "might be". The rule is that the games are forfeit. The league may have chosen to break the rule and not make him forfeit the games, but that's still what's supposed to happen.

#70780 - 11/17/08 01:22 AM Re: League rule help [Re: SilentTuba]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Man, you think an internet forum is rough? How do you get by in real life?

You asked we answered. It didn't go your way and you tried to rationalize your actions repeatedly with hints of "you're picking on me".

Its true you were lucky. Some leagues around here would hold the league to the forfeiture rule and the entire league would now be in chaos due to your actions. Sorry if you don't like the reply but its my opinion from my experience. 10000 bowlers and over 200 leagues in our association.

So much about this game is out of our control, the lane conditions the type of balls on the market. But the rules are there period. They are not out of our control they are the rules for USBC league play. Our association has a lot of non sanctioned leagues. If you want a league without such rules, ask around your local centers for a non sanctioned league.

Erin

#70817 - 11/17/08 12:46 PM Re: League rule help [Re: Mkirchie]
Jekyl6573 Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: cali
Quote:
I can't believe that someone even let you establish two different averages with two different hands in the same league in the first place. You were essentially listed as two different bowlers, not one. Not only that, but that they let it go on for as many weeks as you have stated, that should have been handled the second week the first time you changed hands. Although it is against the rules, they let it go way too long.

Mark

exactly

I was subbing for 8 weeks and nothing had been said. I thought everything was fine as long as I told the opposing team. The company just received noticed that I was suing them and all of a sudden there is a problem. That's why I had to ask. But then this topic got outta hand.

Edited by Jekyl6573 (11/17/08 12:47 PM)

#70820 - 11/17/08 01:27 PM Re: League rule help [Re: Jekyl6573]
ExBronxiteBowler Offline
PBA Senior Bowler

A/S/L: M 66 Staten Island, NY
What does the company you used to work for have to do with anything? Aside from the fact that the sect works there?? Tell ya what, if you had attempted that in any league I bowl in, and you would have been called on it immediately with perhaps a verbal warning but the rules are very clear about the penalties about establishing an average with both the left and right hand in the same league.... and if the league officers did not address it, you can be sure I would have addressed it by emailing USBC National headquarters... If the league was not Sanctioned by the USBC you can do whatever you want, but since it is, you are bound to adhere to USBC rules and regulations. You can still do anything you want, but bear in mind that there could repercussions as far as games being forfeited, etc.... if usbc rules are not adhered to.

#70821 - 11/17/08 02:00 PM Re: League rule help [Re: ExBronxiteBowler]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
I think that the main thing about it is that he was allowed to do it for so long and then was told no after the law suit was filed.

I can see a stink brought up about doing it in the same league. What about different leagues? Say Monday righty and Tuesday lefty?

#70825 - 11/17/08 02:28 PM Re: League rule help [Re: General Pounder]
ExBronxiteBowler Offline
PBA Senior Bowler

A/S/L: M 66 Staten Island, NY
No issue there since its not the same league. I could see the rule being challenged in another way though.. if he pays for two spots, and bowls on the same team, one lefty and one righty, establishes an average for lefty and one for righty, and does not switch hands in the middle of a frame they might let him do that. That might be worth checking out with the USBC to see if that is allowed....

#70827 - 11/17/08 02:43 PM Re: League rule help [Re: ExBronxiteBowler]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
I remember a few years ago, there was a college pitcher who could throw right and left handed. They made him declare which hand before each player but when he wouldn't change hands once he started a game. He could be his own relief pitcher.

Exbronxite:

I think that you may have a point. Plus, he was told which hand he had to use. I don't think that is correct. I think that he should be able to choose.

#70831 - 11/17/08 03:04 PM Re: League rule help [Re: General Pounder]
Lefty Offline
Legend

Quote:

I think that you may have a point. Plus, he was told which hand he had to use. I don't think that is correct. I think that he should be able to choose.

He chose on the first night of bowling. Once he threw a ball with either his left hand or right, that's the hand he has to use unless he gets approval from the board of directors that he can switch to the other hand.

#70850 - 11/17/08 06:41 PM Re: League rule help [Re: General Pounder]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Originally Posted By: General Pounder
I remember a few years ago, there was a college pitcher who could throw right and left handed. They made him declare which hand before each player but when he wouldn't change hands once he started a game. He could be his own relief pitcher.

To go off on this tangent, I read about something like this happening this past spring. The pitched could throw with either hand, and the batter was also a switch hitter. When one switched the other switched. I forget what all happened, I know the umps stepped in as the at bat was taking forever.
HS:763

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - Today at 07:42 AM
Plastic or Urethane?
by LindaDelcamp - 11/12/19 03:19 PM
Good morning everyone...
by Mkirchie - 11/10/19 09:52 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.