BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#70696 - 11/15/08 10:58 PM New practice vids
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
It's been a while. Found pretty quickly that the lanes hadn't been touched by a machine since cosmic bowling, so there was very little in the way of backend. It actually played a lot like a broken down sport shot - not much hold inside, not much recovery outside. Anyway, the first few shots are just me working on my "stop doing stuff to the ball" release. Trying to just keep my hand in a strong position and not hit on it. Next one or maybe 2 is the same, but trying to get around it a bit more (that's the one from inside), followed by a go at a straighter release. After that I decided to learn how to play in front of the ball return. This one is very close to the lane - I could only fit a power step and my slide. The first 2 from behind and the side are from the beginning, when I was figuring out my timing, how far from the return I needed to be, and just getting comfortable in general. Not trying to hit the pocket, just trying to figure out what it's like. The shot where I moved back to filming from behind and am actually hitting the pocket is from the end of the game where I was playing that line trying to score. I was probably somewhere around 200 that game - I actually left a stone 9 playing in there, 6th arrow with the Cell. Fun stuff. My spare game was really good today too - I only missed 2 non-splits, and both of those were washout variants. All in all, a great 4 games.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#70706 - 11/16/08 03:02 AM Re: New practice vids [Re: cgeorg]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
I would have watched more if that music wasn't so loud. But, from what I did see, your axis of tilt has changed for the better. The slomo shows it really well.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#70707 - 11/16/08 03:47 AM Re: New practice vids [Re: Dennis Michael]
GunsTariq Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 25/M/Gwynn Oak, MD
Cg you weren't the only one who liked that last shot. I liked it off your hand and down the lane. I even said myself "That's a good one."

Like it or not, bad strikes keep continues strings.

#70708 - 11/16/08 07:28 AM Re: New practice vids [Re: cgeorg]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
I like what I'm seeing, my favorites are the shots at 1:36 and 1:50 because they are clean off your hand without hardly any grab to them.

Nice lofting over the gutter, that's not as easy as it looks, and you did it well too.

Keep up the good work.

#70711 - 11/16/08 07:58 AM Re: New practice vids [Re: CoachJim]
cgeorg Offline

Dennis, the music wasn't that loud, your speakers were just turned all the way up wink You mean my tilt, or my axis rotation? My tilt has always been next to nothing, but in those first shots I was definitely working on staying behind it more.

Guns: Yeah, once I realized my Cell would actually come back from that spot, I was getting a pretty good feel of which balls had a chance off my hand. I thought that one was 10 back. Only 9 cooperated. The one that really boggled me was the stone 9. The kids on the next lane came very close to hearing some daddy words.

CoachJim: Thanks. The main thing I'm concerned with on my regular shots is my swing plane. Any thoughts?

#70715 - 11/16/08 10:32 AM Re: New practice vids [Re: cgeorg]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

I don't see anything wrong with your swing plane, I do see your alignment being slightly to the left, or square to the foul line. Your swing plane starts off under your head, swings back slightly to the left of your head, then straight down by your ankle, 90% of the guys on tour have the same swing plane. I wish they would show shots from behind so you could see.

I would like to see you speed your swing up a little, it looks a touch slow on your strike shots, your spare shots seem to be a bit faster. A faster swing would force you to speed up your footwork a touch the next to last step going into the slide. I think the extra ball speed would help you play farther outside when needed, and might increase your rev rate as well.

#70725 - 11/16/08 01:47 PM Re: New practice vids [Re: CoachJim]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
I also thought your arm swing was a little slow. You might be slowing it down a touch without noticing it.

The other thing I noticed is that your fingers look like they might be getting out of the ball a little to quickly. It seems like you could keep them in the ball a fraction longer and extend through the ball, towards your mark a little more. I could be wrong on that, but that's the way it looked to me.

#70728 - 11/16/08 02:17 PM Re: New practice vids [Re: Lefty]
cgeorg Offline

I agree with you Lefty - when I miss, it's usually because I come up out of the ball instead of following through it, which lowers my revs and cuts down my axis rotation. Something I'm working on, and it's getting easier to follow through like that as I've been working on letting my release just happen, instead of trying to make it happen.

Now that I think about it, I think I was holding the ball a little lower on my full approach yesterday than I usually do. Probably why my swing seemed slower. I do usually throw it quicker - I'll get some new video soon. Having a tripod makes taking the video much more fun - I think it really helped for the release shots.

#70760 - 11/16/08 09:56 PM Re: New practice vids [Re: cgeorg]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

I would like to see the ball on your fingers longer too, so long as you can still get the ball down on the lane as quick, I don't want to see you start getting grabby. Try to extend your fingers to the floor and through the break point, low and long.

#70773 - 11/16/08 11:35 PM Re: New practice vids [Re: CoachJim]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
Yeah, don't grab the ball. Get your thumb out the same, but stay with it longer after your thumb is out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plastic or Urethane?
by LindaDelcamp - 11/12/19 03:19 PM
Good morning everyone...
by Mkirchie - 11/10/19 09:52 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.