BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#70653 - 11/14/08 07:35 PM almost shot 800
Steven manier Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: 15/male/california
well last night i was bowling my league and i felt real good about bowling. start off with a pocket 10 pin then i go 10 in a row and pocket 10 my last shot for a 289. next game i strung quite a few after a couple spares and shot a 259. last game i open strike spare then strike up through the 8th frame. going up to the 9th frame i knew i need to punch out to shoot 259 ( i needed 252 for the 800) i throw my bal and i got it out a little too far then bookm pocket 7 pin... i struck out for a 238 and a 786 series which is now my highest series. man that would have been cool to shoot my first 800 at 15... oh well i can wait
Current average: 213

Columbia 300 Momentum Swing
Storm Hy Road
Roto Grip Rogue Cell
Brunswick Maxxx zone
Brunswick Fury Pearl
WD Spare ball

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#70656 - 11/14/08 08:40 PM Re: almost shot 800 [Re: Steven manier]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Congrats on the new high series. That's still some good bowling.

Next time you are throwing the ball that good though, try not to think about what you need to get to that score, you just put too much pressure on yourself that way.
HS:763

#70657 - 11/14/08 08:45 PM Re: almost shot 800 [Re: Steven manier]
NewEnglandBowler Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 24/m/MA, USA
Nice series. thumbsup

just a tip for if and when you're ever in the same situation again. you say you needed a 252 for the 800, yes, but thinking about it is going to make it a lot harder, because instead of using muscle memory to throw the ball you are now trying to make sure in your head that you throw the ball the same every time, which will make you more likely to make a mistake somewhere. try not to keep track of your scores as the games pass, or at least don't think about a specific score that you "need" to get, just throw your game and let the series sit till the end, then you can calculate the total.

i had the same problem as you until a few weeks ago, not for 800s but for 700s. i would get close to 500 the first two games and then have a terrible third game because i was thinking too much about the 700 and therefore trying too hard to throw good shots. then, i had a 278 and a 206, and then only thought about the score i needed once, which i had miscalculated at 214 but was actually 216, at the beginning of the game. after that, i forgot about it, and just threw the ball the same as i had the first two games, and rolled a 238 for a 722.

if you need a little phrase to help you remember to just play your game, use "try easier." I heard that from Buck Martinez, who was commentating during the MLB playoffs, and i liked the idea of it.
HS: 766 (4/25/13)
Career:
HG: 300 (4/11/12) VG Nano
HS: 766 (4/25/13) Jet Black Taboo

League
Innovate, First Blood, Jet Black Taboo, T-Zone Orange

#70663 - 11/14/08 11:13 PM Re: almost shot 800 [Re: NewEnglandBowler]
leftykev Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: Spokane, WA
Not to dismiss what it means to shoot a 300 game, but so many 300's are shot every year as to become unimpressive. Shooting back to back 300's gets people's attention since it is more a messure of consistancy.

But, 800 series are not so frequent and more impressive as a sign of skill and consistancy, despite how easy the lanes conditions may be that night. Even more so when that 800 serise comes on a sport condition.

My high series in league is 761 and 789 in practice. Everytime I consider how close I was to 800, it was even more amazing how far I was away from 800.

Lastly, how many people do you hear bragging about how many 800 series they've shot?

#70665 - 11/15/08 07:17 AM Re: almost shot 800 [Re: leftykev]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
A year or so I toyed with an 800. Not that this was a plan, but after a 269-279 start, it definitely is on your mind. It's hard to maintain focus and tempo. After all, how many times do you bowl realizing that you need a 250 score? Can't remember ever saying I needed 250, and actually got it. There is an element of luck involved to maintain that level of scoring. Like a trip 4 or a tap of a 10, or a messenger.

Anyhow, that was some good shooting.

My highest ever sanctioned is 758 for 3 and 992 for a 4 game set. And, I am pretty happy with those.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#70673 - 11/15/08 11:46 AM Re: almost shot 800 [Re: Dennis Michael]
Silent Mike Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 39/M/Poconos PA
That is some good bowling especially for your age. I've only flirted with an 800 series a few times. Most recently (last year) I had a 777 and 784 series). The 300s were nice an 800 is what I really want. I fall victim to counting pins to see what I need. At all costs I try not to do that and focus on making one good shot at a time.

Not to get off the topic, do you realize the most 800s thrown by any one person is at ONE HUNDRED. The guy is some what local to my area, his family owns the lanes and the shot is what I've heard it to be a funnel to the pocket. The center's claim to fame is it hands out the most honor scores of any center around. I avoid it, I'd rather earn them on what may be a THS but not THAT easy of a THS.
Storm - Natural

#70683 - 11/15/08 04:54 PM Re: almost shot 800 [Re: Silent Mike]
Steven manier Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: 15/male/california
yea when you bowl the first 2 games great its kind of hard not to think about what you need for an 800. before the last game started i laughed to my mom about "just need a 252 game for an 800 i already did it twice" i really didnt think i had a chance until i started stringin the strikes then i realized wow i can really shoot 800. same thing goes for a 300 game. its hard to to think about how many more strikes you need for the 300. i just took my deep breaths and bowled like i had been doing all night but unfortunately the POCKET 7 PIN!!!!! oh well

Edited by Steven manier (11/15/08 04:55 PM)
Current average: 213

Columbia 300 Momentum Swing
Storm Hy Road
Roto Grip Rogue Cell
Brunswick Maxxx zone
Brunswick Fury Pearl
WD Spare ball

#70714 - 11/16/08 10:02 AM Re: almost shot 800 [Re: Steven manier]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
Congrats on the nice series. You'll get there. Breaks like that happen. You're going along and then you leave something like that. My first time I was going for an 800, I needed to punch out in the 10th for an 802. As I was getting up in the 10th, the lane broke down. After 5 minutes it got fixed. Buried the first ball for a strike. Buried the second ball, 8 pin. Spare, 791. Not much you can do at that point. Just go back and go to it the following week.

#70718 - 11/16/08 11:06 AM Re: almost shot 800 [Re: leftykev]
Stormin Norman Fan Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 42 / M / Independence, Mo
Originally Posted By: leftykev
Lastly, how many people do you hear bragging about how many 800 series they've shot?

I do all the time. LOL

Seriously though, nice bowling. It will come, just let it happen and try not to think about it too much. I bowled with a guy that used to beat himself up all of the time, trying to shoot 700. He'd start out with the first two games being 460 to 480+, then he'd mention "I only need 227 (or whatever) for my first 700". And every time I'd tell him, to just bowl the way he's been bowling and forget about the series. And to no avail, he'd end up shooting 180 - 200 that final game, ending up 20-30 pins short.

His comeback one time was "I know, but you do it all the time, tell yourself what you need, to shoot a certain series and more times than not, go out and do it." So I explained to him that, yes that may be true, but I was a much more experienced bowler than he was and that just because I say it, doesn't mean I'm thinking about it. I just go about my business, doing what I know how to do. And that that was part of the reason why I averaged 220, not 180 like him.

And to further add to what leftykev said, I too am more pleased about my 800s than my 300s. People ask me all the time, what I'm most proud of and without a doubt, it's my 800s. As kev said, it's a model of consistency, not a one time good deal. Just this summer, I bowled a 300 and ended up with a 650+ series, because I had started out with a 156. While I was pleased with that game, I still didn't hit my average for the series. LOL

Keep it up, it'll happen.

"I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying."

- Michael Jordan -

#70724 - 11/16/08 11:55 AM Re: almost shot 800 [Re: Stormin Norman Fan]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
There are 2 things that I have not done..... 800 series and clean 30. I know the 800, but am guessing at the clean 30, because 30 years ago, when I last bowled, it wasn't that big of a deal to achieve. Never heard it mentioned.
First time I heard the term was in a Sport League, 3 years ago.

I now want them both.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 03:09 PM
Trying to keep my throw straight
by Dennis Michael - 11/14/18 11:23 AM
Ebonite Day at my Proshop
by Dennis Michael - 11/07/18 01:11 PM
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Dennis Michael - 11/03/18 10:05 AM
Gouges and scratches on bowling ball
by Dennis Michael - 10/31/18 11:54 AM
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by djp1080 - 10/22/18 10:42 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.