BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#70546 - 11/12/08 07:36 PM Re: Wood or Synthetic????????? [Re: leftykev]
Scott Gannon Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 51/M/California
Originally Posted By: leftykev
My 10 year absence was the best thing that happened to my game, since I got to relearn bowling on the much heavier oiled synthetic lanes of today, in conjunction with the bowling balls of today, sure make bowling easier.

I think that was the worst thing that happened to me. Because I have 20 years of bowling on wood lanes programmed in my head it has not been easy to adapt.
Fall 2013-14-League Average-178, HG-228, HS-631

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#70548 - 11/12/08 08:45 PM Re: Wood or Synthetic????????? [Re: SilentTuba]
Mkirchie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 39/M/New Jersey
Hey Tuba, I'm a Rutgers graduate too. Lived on Busch all 4 years, my older brother went to Cook. Thanks for putting up the picture, I knew there were lanes under Loree, but I never bowled there. I had heard that they barely maintained the lanes, so many others and I refused to bring good equipment there. I mostly bowled at Carolier when I was at RU.

Mark

#70549 - 11/12/08 10:39 PM Re: Wood or Synthetic????????? [Re: Mkirchie]
SilentTuba Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 25/M/NJ
Originally Posted By: Mkirchie
Hey Tuba, I'm a Rutgers graduate too. Lived on Busch all 4 years, my older brother went to Cook. Thanks for putting up the picture, I knew there were lanes under Loree, but I never bowled there. I had heard that they barely maintained the lanes, so many others and I refused to bring good equipment there. I mostly bowled at Carolier when I was at RU.

Mark

Yeah, being a music major, all of my spare time was spent in a small room with a tuba and a metronome. I think I managed to go bowling twice during college...once at Woodbridge Lanes, and once at Carolier. I'd heard the same about the Loree lanes, from people who have bowled there (and been pin setters).

Ah, good old New Brunswick...it might be time to take a trip down there for dinner at Stuff Yer Face on Easton Ave....

#70552 - 11/12/08 11:57 PM Re: Wood or Synthetic????????? [Re: SilentTuba]
Satyuros Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 19/m/Alberta Canada
Wood all the way, baby. Grew up on it, and just generally like it more. I don't like the sound of synthetic when the ball hits, haha. But I practice at a synthetic house as well (only two houses in my city, one's wood, the other synthetic.) so it works out well for me. There's an adult tournament in january that I'll be defending (woot.), 8 games at one house, 8 games at the other house second day. Really is a perfect display of how different they are, people were having problem staying off the face at the wood house, then the second day people couldn't hit the pocket because it was flooded on synthetic. amusing, to say the least.
Storm T-road Pearl
Ebonite Maxim Blazing Fire
Hammer Black Widow Venom
Morich Seek and Destroy(old)

High Single: 300
High Series: 747
League Average: 209

#70560 - 11/13/08 08:31 AM Re: Wood or Synthetic????????? [Re: SilentTuba]
Mkirchie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 39/M/New Jersey
Originally Posted By: SilentTuba
Ah, good old New Brunswick...it might be time to take a trip down there for dinner at Stuff Yer Face on Easton Ave....

I could use a good trip to the grease trucks, I haven't been there in a long time now, they were great after late classes.

I ended up bowling a bit at college, we briefly had a club team at Rutgers, but it fell apart the 3rd year I was there. After that, I just went to practice at Carolier when I had the time. I usually managed about one a week.

Speaking of lane surfaces, when I did bowl at Carolier, before they replaced the wood lanes there with synthetics, they had Guardian on top of the wood. I couldn't stand Guardian, lots of friction when it is worn out, anyone else here have any experience with it?

Mark

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - Yesterday at 07:42 AM
Plastic or Urethane?
by LindaDelcamp - 11/12/19 03:19 PM
Good morning everyone...
by Mkirchie - 11/10/19 09:52 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.