BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#70255 - 11/06/08 07:25 PM Re: I bowl with 2 fingers only, is this bad? [Re: Vincent123]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
They will plug the ball with a material, sometimes colored to match the ball, sometimes clear, sometimes black. When they redrill, they will probably drill out some of the hole, but not all of it. You'll be able to see the part of the plug that they don't drill out.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#70262 - 11/06/08 11:56 PM Re: I bowl with 2 fingers only, is this bad? [Re: Vincent123]
Reconbbs Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 21/Male/York Pennsylvania
As a thumbless bowler....The key to the ten pin for me was to use a plastic ball. It solved my problem. If I hit my mark I make the spare. It's as simple as that. I couldn't pick the 10 pin up to save my life with my strike ball tho.

Hammer Black Widow Bite
DV8 Misfit
DV8 Reckless
Visionary AMB Centaur

High Game-300x2
High Series-836

Fall League Averages
Tuesday 234
Thursday 225

#70264 - 11/07/08 12:08 AM Re: I bowl with 2 fingers only, is this bad? [Re: Reconbbs]
Rack Wrecker Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 19/M/Cleveland, Ohio
I don't mean any offense in saying this, but I am impressed with your scores Reconbbs! Again, I by no means am intending this rude of degrading, I just have had such horrible luck with a thumbless release, and such terrible inaccuracy with a two fingered release that it is very impressive to see a 2 fingered bowler hitting such high scores, simply because the release is often plagued with the stigma that it is more inconsistent and has carry issues, speed sensitivity issues, etc. I commend you for that and only hope that I myself can improve my game well enough to get a perfect game one day soon. I just stink without the thumb, all there is to it

I'm an English major, "if my doctor told me I had only 6 minutes to live I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster."

#70324 - 11/07/08 09:11 PM Re: I bowl with 2 fingers only, is this bad? [Re: Rack Wrecker]
Vincent123 Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 19/M/CA
I dropped my ball off yesterday at the Pro Shop to get it plugged/redrilled. But I didnt really know what drill pattern to give him so I told him to recommend me whatever he thinks is good. I hope i made a wise decision, but he said he couldnt really decide on what drill pattern to use without seeing me bowl first. So he just drilled a "conventional" pattern. Not really sure what that means..

#70340 - 11/08/08 07:23 AM Re: I bowl with 2 fingers only, is this bad? [Re: Vincent123]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
I'm hoping he didn't give you a conventional span, and that by "conventional" pattern he means a basic layout that is controllable for a new bowler on house shots. Like I said the best bet would have just been to just plug and move the thumb where needed for you and use the same finger holes. This way the dynamics of the ball really isn't thrown off.
HS:763

#70553 - 11/13/08 12:24 AM Re: I bowl with 2 fingers only, is this bad? [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Vincent123 Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 19/M/CA
I already got the ball plugged and redrilled. I've been trying to bowl with it a few games using my thumb but its very difficult for me. One thing that bothers me is that when I'm about to release the ball, it feels as if my thumb is getting stuck in the thumbhole. The guy at the Pro Shop said that the hole is more than big enough, he told me to keep my thumb straight while bowling and not to try and "grab" it. Not really sure what i'm doing wrong, should i invest in a few one on one lessons with my Pro Shop?

#70556 - 11/13/08 07:37 AM Re: I bowl with 2 fingers only, is this bad? [Re: Vincent123]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
You're squeezing the ball. You have to learn trust. Bowling is not a game of muscle, it is a game of trust. You learn to stop using your muscles, and trust that gravity will swing the ball for you. You learn to stop using your muscles, and trust that the ball will stay on your hand. If you relax your thumb and the ball falls off, that means your thumbhole is too loose.

If your Pro Shop says it's big enough, I have a hard time believing that it's not. In fact, it's probably too big, and so you need to squeeze it to keep it on your hand. Just relax and let it roll off your hand. Don't try to swing it, don't try to pull it, don't try to squeeze and let go, and don't try to turn it. Just let the ball swing and roll off your hand. It won't hook much (if at all), but that's ok for now - get the feel of a free arm swing and relaxed grip, and then work on the release.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Mkirchie - 10/14/18 12:15 PM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.