BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#70055 - 11/04/08 07:40 AM Re: First ball questions (2nd try) [Re: JPBowler]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: m/ Michigan
If the pro-shop you go to is reputable, they should actually watch you bowl a few frames. Then they would be able to offer you suggestions as to how the ball should be drilled. How strong or weak a reaction might be best for your style. You don't want it to be so strong that you can't control it, and visa-versa, you don't want to have a ball drilled so weak that it does not move at all. That would be discouraging. Good Luck!

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#70390 - 11/09/08 09:44 AM Re: First ball questions (2nd try) [Re: Tim Gerard]
JPBowler Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: Japan
Update: I went bowling today and talked to the guy at the Pro Shop, and after talking about what to do for my ball for awhile, he let me bowl with his personal 15# Playmaker (span was slightly short for me), and another 14# Revolution IST they had lying around. The holes on the latter weren't a good fit for me, but I got to bowl 3 games with them, so who's complaining?

Anyway, I didn't have a problem with the 15#'s weight, but I decided to go with a 14# because I have a huge problem generating revs, and I think the lighter ball will make that easier for me. So ultimately I ordered a 14# Avalanche Solid. It was $270 including drilling, which probably sounds horrible, but when you factor in shipping of about $100 and the drilling fee, it didn't end up being much different than if I ordered one online, so I figured it'd be better to go with the Pro Shop. I should have it by next weekend, so I'll try it out and report back.

One more question: Should I get a thumbslug?

#70391 - 11/09/08 10:11 AM Re: First ball questions (2nd try) [Re: JPBowler]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
If you think you will eventually get more bowling balls, definitely get the thumbslug. The different coverstocks on the differnt bowling balls will feel different and in bowling consistent feel is important. I would recommend it even if you don't plan on buying more balls as the coverstocks are gripping on the skin and can cause issues.
HS:763

#70393 - 11/09/08 12:35 PM Re: First ball questions (2nd try) [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
JPBowler Offline
Bumper Bowler

All right, that's certainly convincing enough. I'll go with the thumbslug then. Cheers.

#70394 - 11/09/08 01:02 PM Re: First ball questions (2nd try) [Re: JPBowler]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

Good luck with the ball and hope you are happy with it when you get it.

#70396 - 11/09/08 06:37 PM Re: First ball questions (2nd try) [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Rack Wrecker Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 19/M/Cleveland, Ohio
Absolutely, best of luck with your new ball when you get it. The only thing I am sorry for is the price of the ball... ikes. I order through the Pro Shop because the balls are no where near that expensive. I could have gotten the same ball ordered and drilled up for probably $170. I don't mean to rub it in or anything, I suppose its probably just based on the areas we live in. Over here in the US I suppose it might just be cheaper than in Japan. its funny how that works, but then again you did say that it probably sounds horrible to some of us, so it seems as though this is nothing new to you. But on a brighter note, enjoy your new ball and the best of luck bowling with it too!

I'm an English major, "if my doctor told me I had only 6 minutes to live I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster."

#70409 - 11/10/08 09:27 AM Re: First ball questions (2nd try) [Re: Rack Wrecker]
JPBowler Offline
Bumper Bowler

Yeah, the prices suck here, but what can ya do? If the shipping wasn't so insane I'd get it from America anyway, but when that alone is another 100 bucks, it starts to be less worth it. At least this way, if anything happens with the ball during the ordering/drilling process, the Pro Shop will take care of it. I suppose that's worth the $20 difference or so that it would end up being if I got it online.

Bowling in general is really expensive here, not only the balls. My area has only one center, and it's about $4.80 per person per game on weekends, and $4.30 on weekdays. No specials, no discount days, no all you can bowl deals. Bleh... but it's all I have, so I gotta make the best of it.

Anyway, I hope I like the ball too, but at any rate, once I finally have a ball that's fitted to my hand, I can hopefully eliminate the death grip and start properly working on my technique.

Cheers!

#70413 - 11/10/08 09:58 AM Re: First ball questions (2nd try) [Re: JPBowler]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Quote:
and it's about $4.80 per person per game on weekends, and $4.30 on weekdays.

That's cheap by California standards

Good luck with the new ball
Erin

#70440 - 11/10/08 03:43 PM Re: First ball questions (2nd try) [Re: Atochabsh]
Rack Wrecker Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 19/M/Cleveland, Ohio
Based on the ohio prices I'm paying over here, which I've mentioned before so I won't go into it again, but I couldn't afford that type of living. lol. Bowling can be an expensive sport as far as equipment is concerned already and when you add all that extra on top of the bills I already have I think I'd be screwed.

I'm an English major, "if my doctor told me I had only 6 minutes to live I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster."

#70451 - 11/10/08 06:07 PM Re: First ball questions (2nd try) [Re: Rack Wrecker]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

The prices of bowling around me is around $4.25 or so, maybe even $4.50 but I haven't paid full price in years. Since I'm usually a league bowler in the center, I get a league discount which is around $1.50-$2.75 depending on the time of day, if it's a weekday or weekend and which chain its part of, or which independent center it is.

Now the price of equipment is a different story. I guess either way its added shipping charges that drives the price up.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Richie V. - Today at 09:25 PM
Made it.
by RGR - Today at 07:56 AM
Ball choice and strategy for Wolf pattern
by champ - Yesterday at 10:15 PM
My Senior League wants to change Houses
by BOSStull - Yesterday at 05:21 AM
tennis elbow
by BOSStull - Yesterday at 03:58 AM
12 pound ball?
by W9JAB - 02/15/18 02:52 PM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 02/11/18 07:19 AM
Brunswick "The Grizz" Vintage Urethane ball
by nord - 02/11/18 04:20 AM
Hammer Purple Pearl Urethane
by nord - 02/10/18 03:24 PM
Honor Scores Not Received By USBC
by Mkirchie - 02/10/18 10:54 AM
Competing against high rev, high speed players
by BowlerBill - 02/07/18 09:36 PM
Old bowling ball on synthetic lanes - good or bad?
by Dennis Michael - 02/04/18 03:52 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.