BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#66359 - 09/11/08 04:11 PM Wood or Synthetic?????????
Pacifca Lefty Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 49, Male, Pacifca, CA USA
Afternoon All,
this might be a multiple topic question as I get into it...
1st lets start with throwing the ball on each surface;
On synthetics you throw the ball straighter cause if you throw it out its a gutterballo and on wood you can throw straight or
go deeper theres more give on the wood.. I've decided to bowl on sythetics this winter to prep me for next year's Nationals in Vegas. My first question is: is my preparation for Vegas good?
My second is: what do you prefer or bowl better on?
thanks,
Pacifica Lefty.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#66360 - 09/11/08 04:29 PM Re: Wood or Synthetic????????? [Re: Pacifca Lefty]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
I hate to tell you this but nothing you can bowl on will prep you for Nationals. Don't get me wrong, it is a fun time but the conditions can be brutal. Think of the most amount of oil you have ever played on in league. Now triple it. Get the ball outside of 8? Hope you get 3. Pull the ball a board left of your target? Hope you get 3.

Best thing you can do to prep yourself for Vegas is to find a sport shot league. Also, work on your spares. If you have a spare ball, get really aquanted with it. If you don't, get one and learn to like it. Hooking the ball at spares at Nationals is a recipe for disaster.

#66398 - 09/12/08 04:11 AM Re: Wood or Synthetic????????? [Re: General Pounder]
180fury Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 30/m/hatton,al
humm i bowl on wood. i see a difference on both. i like both really but i love the wood sound. oil holds better on syn but wood is just more fun to me because it seems tuffer to bowl on. but thats just what it seems to me. i have better scores on syn but woods a challenge that i can't pass up laugh

in my bag :
15# track--up rising
15# brunswick--super zone powerkoil international release
15# track--kinetic energy
16# morich--awesome finish
15# ebonite--clash
14# lanehawk-- lucky strike

#66404 - 09/12/08 08:37 AM Re: Wood or Synthetic????????? [Re: 180fury]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: m/ Michigan
I prefer wood, only because thats what I have the most experience with. But thats going to change next year as my house will be converting to synthetics. Rumor has it that they will be doing this just after the season starts. So we will bowl on wood untill October, then synthetics after that.

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#66418 - 09/12/08 10:55 AM Re: Wood or Synthetic????????? [Re: Tim Gerard]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Wood hands down. However, its a dying breed. Soon there will be no wood lanes. We only have one wood house in Sac. and its scheduled to go synthetic anytime. Or at least when AMF gets around to it.

Sea Bowl is synthetic isn't it? We go there next month for travel league.

As for practicing for Nationals. I agree with GP. The lane surface alone will not prepare you for what's going to be in Vegas next year. Best thing to do is ask your center to put out the National shot. Its no secret, and usually posted around bowl.com somewhere. You can find a PBA or Sport league but even that will not be the flat pattern used at Nationals. Still they will give you a taste.

First time going to Nationals? You'll have a blast and the condition will be like nothing you've ever seen before. Plus the atmosphere is bowling bowling bowling.

Erin

#66420 - 09/12/08 12:21 PM Re: Wood or Synthetic????????? [Re: Atochabsh]
Reconbbs Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 21/Male/York Pennsylvania
All of the bowling alleys around where I live have all converted to synthetic. I haven't been bowling long enough to experience the transition from wood to synthetic lanes. I'm not even sure If I've ever even bowled on wood lanes lol.

Hammer Black Widow Bite
DV8 Misfit
DV8 Reckless
Visionary AMB Centaur

High Game-300x2
High Series-836

Fall League Averages
Tuesday 234
Thursday 225

#66453 - 09/12/08 05:28 PM Re: Wood or Synthetic????????? [Re: Reconbbs]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Wood lanes? What are those? I've bowled once on wood lanes. Around me its mainly AMF centers and the houses that are wood have synthetic overlays is makes them synthetic. The one time I bowled on wood my plastic ball was really moving and covering at least 15 boards, of course this was also midday and the lanes probably weren't oiled since the night before.
HS:763

#66468 - 09/12/08 10:34 PM Re: Wood or Synthetic????????? [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Justinmill14 Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 18/male/Tennessee
I normally bowl on wood, thats the only thing within 45 min. away but occasionally bowl on synthetics, mainly when our highschool has away matches. Wood does give alot more, I get a lot more reaction out of my Tornado on wood than I do synthetic but I do agree with what general pounder said

Edited by Justinmill14 (09/12/08 10:35 PM)
Cell Pearl
Furious
Reign
Natural
Hammer Onyx Vibe
Columbia 300 Outburst

#70367 - 11/08/08 11:20 PM Re: Wood or Synthetic????????? [Re: Justinmill14]
SimplyAmazuring Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 23/M/Dallas; TX
It's not the wood or synthetic issue that will be your challenge - the oil pattern itself and adjusting to how quickly it will break down will be the biggest challenge for nationals. I agree about getting sport pattern experience, as most people who usually throw a big hook on a house shot find their balls in the right gutter 30 feet down the lane on a sport pattern (misses to the right will not come back). Good Luck! - SimplyAmazuring

Oily Lanes, Later Hook, More Hook, Sharper Break:
#15 Odyssey (Roto-Grip)

Drier Lanes, Sooner Hook, Less Hook, Smoother Break:
#15 Cross Fire (Ebonite)

Spares:
#15 Blue Dot (Columbia 300)

Current Average:207
High Game:287
High Series:741

#70375 - 11/09/08 06:34 AM Re: Wood or Synthetic????????? [Re: SimplyAmazuring]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Erin said, "First time going to Nationals? You'll have a blast and the condition will be like nothing you've ever seen before. Plus the atmosphere is bowling bowling bowling."

I just bowled is State Tourneys and a few Invitationals out of State, when I used to bowl. but, in the 24 year layoff I had, Nationals has become the top dog. Bowling on it the first time was really a treat. Got goose bumps walking down the center Aisle at the introduction. Then, it was focus and bowling, bowling, bowling.

Then, seeing my score on the big board was a little unnerving. Especially, when the frame didn't go well.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 02:32 PM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 09/23/18 10:56 AM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 09/12/18 08:37 AM
For the good of the sport?
by Dennis Michael - 09/07/18 04:48 AM
End of Days
by steveA - 09/05/18 04:25 PM
Off-Spot Rule and Pinspotter Operation Question
by BOSStull - 09/01/18 06:43 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.