BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#70328 - 11/07/08 11:37 PM Interesting discussion with Laneman today
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
We have been having trouble with the oil patterns at my main house, that seem to now be fixed. While bowling this afternoon, the laneman approached me and asked how the lanes have been. My response was I felt they are becoming easier, as I see the scores increasing over the past 3 weeks.

He informed me that this House, and he in particular, have been given directives by the Regional Manager, this being a Chain location, to increase the scores. He said he looked at an Honor score listing from the House and found that myown 298 was the highest game for 5 years in this house. We have had 2, 300's since March, the first for 6 years.

Seems they are targeting higher scores in their shot, since it is their opinion that league bowlers are going where the higher scores can be bowled. And, this house is losing bowlers.

This house has been know for its tougher shot, and a reason why I bowl there. But, the almighty High Score seems to be where the money is.

What are your thoughts on this?
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#70341 - 11/08/08 07:37 AM Re: Interesting discussion with Laneman today [Re: Dennis Michael]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Unfortunately its true. Most bowlers want the high scores even if it means bowling on the easiest shot. The house I am bowling my only league in this season is one of those houses that lends itself to high scoring. Some bowlers refuse to bowl there as to not establish too high of an average for tournaments and such. The center is full of leagues though, and it also treats the bowlers well, or it did before the GM change. Just between last Friday and Saturday I think there were five 300 games, an 800 set or two, and a few more 290+ games. This house also attracts some of the better bowlers in the area that can take advantage of the condition.
HS:763

#70345 - 11/08/08 10:09 AM Re: Interesting discussion with Laneman today [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
I wish this weren't true but nowadays it seems working hard at something is disappearing. Don't get me wrong I'd like to have a high average and high scores but there is more satisfaction when it's thrown a tougher shot. I mean it was the combination of the PBA shot league that I threw over the summer and a couple of Ron C.'s tips that very woke me up and told me I needed to really work on my swing. I couldn't figure out why my stuff wasn't working. Hellooooo, tougher shot equals lower scores when you're used to adult bumper bowling. Regardless I think I'm going to find a PBA shot league to bowl in again and a different house for the summer.

Plus tougher shots are more challenging hence more fun (for me at least) because it's something I haven't seen that I try to get to figure out. It might be frustrating at first but it'll be more satisfying when I get it.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#70346 - 11/08/08 11:49 AM Re: Interesting discussion with Laneman today [Re: TheDemolitionMan]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
I think the house is right.

You or I or We may not like it, but its the truth. Keep in mind that that percentage of bowlers that feel as you do about the game is minimal and to the houses' perspective NEGLIGABLE.

They need to keep the doors open and this last year has been a struggle to say the least. They cannot keep the doors open by catering to a slight percentage of customers. No operation can.

I think the best you can hope for is a center thriving off its house shot putting down a PBA shot for a league or special occasion. But you need a thriving center first. I don't think you can have it the other way around, unless you are in a specialized location of non compete for customers. Even then you might find customers that just opt to not bowl rather then travel further to an easier house or continue in the difficult one.

Erin

#70350 - 11/08/08 11:58 AM Re: Interesting discussion with Laneman today [Re: Atochabsh]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
There is a house by me that is known for higher scores. All of their leagues are full. Why? Cause of the reasons listed above. A lot of bowlers want higher scores. The house is about half the distance from the house I bowl at now. It is the toughest one in the area. I will continue to go there for that reason.

#70364 - 11/08/08 09:40 PM Re: Interesting discussion with Laneman today [Re: General Pounder]
Justinmill14 Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 18/male/Tennessee
The only way I would want to bowl on the easiest shot there is, is if I were going somewhere and really just wanted to show off Lol. But, I'd rather be bowling on the toughest patterns there are because that is the best way to improve.
Cell Pearl
Furious
Reign
Natural
Hammer Onyx Vibe
Columbia 300 Outburst

#70384 - 11/09/08 08:34 AM Re: Interesting discussion with Laneman today [Re: Dennis Michael]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Did your laneman say if this was just the tip of the iceburg, or was that as easy as they were going to make it.

The bowling center I bowled at before I got injured has been doing the same thing, gradually making the shot easier and easier. One of my students is averaging 239 with a 300 and several 750+ nights she was averaging in the low 200s two years ago then 2teens last year, so they are gradually making the shot easier and easier.

#70389 - 11/09/08 09:24 AM Re: Interesting discussion with Laneman today [Re: CoachJim]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Coach, let me give you a little update. This is a Brunswick house.
This was the house where the oil patterns were just "UNPLAYABLE".
The original laneman transferred in Aug.
The Backup, who was still in training was helped by the Asst Mgr, and they screwed up the shot, and apparently also caused the outside spray nozzles to malfunction.
New lane man was hired in Oct, and immediately send to classes to work on and learn the machines.
We had an entire league disband, and some teams merged with out league.
After 2 weeks, 2 teams quit, and some bowlers too. Everyone complained.

3 weeks ago, the shot was finally playable, and bowlers commented favorably.
Mgr said there was still some tweeking to do, since, the outside was OK, but still couldn't get a good read at the break. That seems to have been improved.
I believe they are done with the machine tinkering.

New laneman gave me the indication that now his schedule is to perform much neglected maintenance, as on Fri, he had 3 machines torn down and laying on the lane.

1 was lane 16 where I bowled and 6 balls got damaged a month ago. He explained that problem as ball roller in the ball return was worn badly, and balls would just bounce against the metal frame, causing ding marks in balls. I counted 122 ding marks in one of mine.

Some results are the Asst Mgr, who is a PBA card holder and a 230 average has averaged at the 190 mark. In the last 3 weeks, his low series is 750.
I had much trouble and had a 170~ for the first 5 weeks. Checking BowlSK, I am averaging 212 for the past 3 weeks.

The laneman rules. But, the bowlers are happier.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#70412 - 11/10/08 09:55 AM Re: Interesting discussion with Laneman today [Re: Dennis Michael]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
That is the house trying to do something right. They had a condition that was unplayable and machines that were not right messing up the shot. The houses that upset me are the ones in working order and they tweek the shot to get the high average from the house up to 240 from 230. Those are the places that aggravate me. The occasional 300/800 for a house is nice. When they happen every few days, that is an issue.

#70442 - 11/10/08 03:48 PM Re: Interesting discussion with Laneman today [Re: General Pounder]
Rack Wrecker Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 19/M/Cleveland, Ohio
I agree. I have heard that the lanes I bowl at is fairly easy to bowl on but I still have had my rough nights and can get similar scores, if not exactly the same, on other lanes as well. I guess I am just anxiously awaiting my day of hitting those big numbers, 270 and above... 300 would probably cause me the same fate as this older gentleman in my area a few weeks ago. the story goes: he was 66 and finally bowled his first 300 game at that age. Then in his enjoyment they say he had a heart attack and died. I don't mean to make light of the situation but wow, what a way to go... in a blaze of glory I suppose

I'm an English major, "if my doctor told me I had only 6 minutes to live I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 03:09 PM
Trying to keep my throw straight
by Dennis Michael - 11/14/18 11:23 AM
Ebonite Day at my Proshop
by Dennis Michael - 11/07/18 01:11 PM
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Dennis Michael - 11/03/18 10:05 AM
Gouges and scratches on bowling ball
by Dennis Michael - 10/31/18 11:54 AM
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by djp1080 - 10/22/18 10:42 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.