BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#68989 - 10/19/08 10:38 PM 2 Handed Slow Motion
howiegroove Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 28/M/Orlando, FL
Hey everyone, just the other day, I was tinkering with my release and I had some trouble getting from the strong position in my swing around quick enough to give me more revolutions. I just wasn't finishing and it just wasn't happening.

This is when I thought that I would try throwing with two hands. It was fun watching my ball hook out of the park on a scorpion pattern, but not too fun being inconsistent. So as I make a journey into this style, I would like to do something that I am good at, so that anyone that wants to get into it can get some tips on how the best in the world do it. I slowed a few videos down for all to see. I hope everyone enjoys the videos and keep the thread alive. All comments are welcome.

Back View

Front View

Jason Belmonte

15# Ebonite NVD
15# Hammer Hot Sauce
15# Track Uprising
15# Track Kinetic Pearl
15# Hammer Emerald Vibe
15# Roto-Grip Clear (spares)

VISE IT System

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#69009 - 10/20/08 12:06 PM Re: 2 Handed Slow Motion [Re: howiegroove]
AmpleSound Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 34/M/CO
Not sure if it's different with the 2 hand approach. Though it seems as if you're over extending your slide step. So you might be taking away from your power step.
Columbia Plastic - (Spares/Dry)

My best:
HGS - 300
HSS - 769

#78283 - 02/02/09 10:14 PM Re: 2 Handed Slow Motion [Re: AmpleSound]
cherry scented Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 31/m/vt
Did they charge you for the broken pins?
Elite Death

Avg: 210
High Series: 725
High Game: 287

#79419 - 02/10/09 10:45 PM Re: 2 Handed Slow Motion [Re: cherry scented]
untutored Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 35/m/arizona
Check 0:16 in the first video against 2:26 in the Belmonte video: see how much bend Belmonte's elbow has? The other guy's trying to get it done with brute strength IMO. (I think Belmonte opens his body more, too, though it's hard to tell because of his leftward drift.)

You might want to check out Osku Palermaa, as well. Palermaa hasn't had the success of Belmonte, but I've seen him praised specifically for his form.

#79427 - 02/11/09 12:28 AM Re: 2 Handed Slow Motion [Re: untutored]
Dr. Seuss Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 40/M/Brattleboro, VT
If you look at 7:56 in the last video you can really see the skip step he has in his approach, both feet are off the ground and his landing goes into his slide. While his results are impressive I would not advocate having both feet of the ground during an approach.
15# Captain Midnight

Average - 215
High Single - 278
High Series - 733 (248-245-240)

#79432 - 02/11/09 01:11 AM Re: 2 Handed Slow Motion [Re: Dr. Seuss]
untutored Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 35/m/arizona
Brian Himmler has the same skip-step. I think it's a function of relying on forward momentum for ball speed, and of not being able to "release" his armswing while he's drifting left.

Think of a right-handed quarterback trying to throw to the right while fading left. If he can't plant his feet, he has to try to set his body in the air, right?

#79433 - 02/11/09 01:12 AM Re: 2 Handed Slow Motion [Re: Dr. Seuss]
Luksa Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 29/M/Slovenia
The skip step is pretty common for two handed bowlers. Both Belmonte and Palermaa have it as well.

You can see videos of Palermaa's approach at http://www.oskupalermaa.fi (click on the english flag if you get the finnish version. The videos are then located under "Photos and videos").

Here's a slow motion close-up of his release (Notice how his hand is completely under and on the inside of the ball. Also, he's laying the ball down on the 12th board, not hooking the whole lane - this was shot on the short pattern):

Bowling klub

#79456 - 02/11/09 08:23 AM Re: 2 Handed Slow Motion [Re: Luksa]
Handful Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 32/male/St Pete, FL/ usa
The skip step is necessary to clear your hips for the arm assisting the shot (the left arm for belmonte). If you try to walk normally, that left arm hits your right hip/leg unless the backswing is very low.
Slingshot

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
This is a damned shame
by djp1080 - 10/17/20 08:32 PM
Undercover Boss Bowlero
by BOSStull - 10/12/20 07:16 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.