BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#68639 - 10/14/08 12:28 PM Kegel Sport Patterns
NewEnglandBowler Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 24/m/MA, USA
from what i can gather on the bowlsk site, the kegel patterns are a step below the PBA patterns and a step above THS patterns. are these shots typically used for regional tournaments?

the only reason i ask is that there was a regoinal tournament at the house where my morning league is, and i believe they were putting the shot down for the tournament before we did league play, so for the last two weeks i've been bowling on what i believe is what of these kegel patterns (though which one is a mystery)
HS: 766 (4/25/13)
Career:
HG: 300 (4/11/12) VG Nano
HS: 766 (4/25/13) Jet Black Taboo

League
Innovate, First Blood, Jet Black Taboo, T-Zone Orange

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#68650 - 10/14/08 01:13 PM Re: Kegel Sport Patterns [Re: NewEnglandBowler]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
The Kegel patterns are simple a set of patterns of different lengths and oil ratios that Kegel has developed.

They actually come in 3 levels of difficulty - a Recreation series, which have much more oil in the center than the outsides (like a typical house shot), the Challenge series, which are flatter but not quite sport compliant, and the Sport series, which are USBC sport compliant. The 4 patterns in each series are all different lengths - 3 of the 4 Recreation series ones would play similar to a THS, the 4th would play a bit tighter due to its length. The Sport series of patterns should play just as hard as the PBA shots. The Challenge series would lay somewhere in between.

To answer which shot was actually laid down, PBA Regional tournaments use the PBA animal patterns. You can actually see which pattern is used for each tournament on the website.

I don't see a regional tournament that recently occured in your area though... http://www.pba.com/regional/region.asp?ID=2

If by "regional" you just mean a large tournament in your area, then the center/tournament director can put down whatever they like. Your best bet to find out what you're bowling on during league is to ask the lane man. Second would be to ask a manager, and third a desk person - the desk people usually don't know though.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#68654 - 10/14/08 01:44 PM Re: Kegel Sport Patterns [Re: cgeorg]
NewEnglandBowler Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 24/m/MA, USA
yes, i did mean a large tournament in the area.
HS: 766 (4/25/13)
Career:
HG: 300 (4/11/12) VG Nano
HS: 766 (4/25/13) Jet Black Taboo

League
Innovate, First Blood, Jet Black Taboo, T-Zone Orange

#68909 - 10/17/08 10:38 PM Re: Kegel Sport Patterns [Re: NewEnglandBowler]
slap Offline
USBC Bronze Certified Coach

A/S/L: boston, ma
One of my leagues is using the Kegel patterns. Cgeorg explained it perfectly, each level gets progessive harder. If the houses you visit use newer Kegel machines, it's highly possible that you could see one of these patterns. Supposedly it's almost "plug & play" for the laneman to program the machine.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
For stubborn straight-bowlers
by SteveH - Yesterday at 05:20 PM
best defiant in the line from roto grip?
by champ - Yesterday at 03:37 PM
First Day with the Storm Crux
by SteveH - Yesterday at 02:58 PM
Thumb Tape Help - Gets sticky.
by Mkirchie - Yesterday at 09:18 AM
Changing a polished ball
by Fin09 - 10/23/14 10:22 PM
Ah yes, elbow inside
by SteveH - 10/23/14 06:22 PM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2014-15 thread
by Richie V. - 10/22/14 10:28 PM
The Weak Ten pin?
by steveA - 10/21/14 07:11 PM
Adding new ball to the arsenal
by spectral - 10/21/14 10:16 AM
Fall '14 Week 6 virtual league results
by SteveH - 10/20/14 08:26 PM
Help choosing a new ball
by Cray - 10/20/14 12:45 AM
1500 abralon pad
by Dave800 - 10/19/14 07:58 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2014 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.