BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#68796 - 10/16/08 01:32 PM Need some advice
hi_there Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 24/M/Montana
I just got my cell redrilled to fit my span better and in the process, the Pro Shop guy moved my pin to above the fingers. He told me this would give me a stronger reaction so that sounded fine to me. Originally I had the pin to the right in a 4 by 4 layout I think. This was supposed to produce a strong contiuous reaction to the pocket. Although the ball fits better, I'm not liking the reaction quite as much. I don't know if the ball will now react on oil like it should, because it doesn't seem to get near the arc it used to. Do you think this is due to lane conditions, the new pin position, perhaps my release, or a combo of several of these elements? Any thoughs are appreciated.
Black Widow Pearl 15 lbs
Roto Grip Cell 15 lbs
Hammer Blue Vibe 15 lbs
Hammer Razyr 15 lbs
plastic spare ball 15 lbs

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#68816 - 10/16/08 06:42 PM Re: Need some advice [Re: hi_there]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
It could be the lane conditions. My Cell is usually out performed by my Widow Solid because there isn't enough oil on the lane. Your Pro Shop guy could've set you Cell up for more oily conditions. It sounds like the ball is burning up too much energy too early.

It sounds like you might want to also try finding a new line to get the reaction you're looking for.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#68819 - 10/16/08 07:44 PM Re: Need some advice [Re: TheDemolitionMan]
FuseG4 Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 21/M/Saint George, UT
Hmm, a pin above the fingers vs. pin to the right...sounds like this would make the ball go longer. Where exactly is the pin now? Is it above the middle of your fingers or above the fingers but still to the right? Where is the RG and where was it before?

If you were playing your cell on medium oil or house shots and the cell was hooking too early or rolling out, I would move the pin higher and/or further from the PAP. But I dont usually like pin-over drillings for heavy oil, I can get the ball to start up soon enough.

Otherwise with that drilling you may wanna play just a bit straighter, especially on heavy oil.

Arsenal
Roto Grip Odyssey (cracked on 12/28/08)
Roto Grip Cell Pearl
Roto Grip Horizon Pearl (cracked on (1/4/09) RIP!!
Roto Grip Saturn

#68821 - 10/16/08 08:05 PM Re: Need some advice [Re: FuseG4]
hi_there Offline
League Bowler

Sorry, I don't even know what I'm talking about. Pin is right below the fingers as you can see on link.
http://www.photodump.com/Guest/1ce39402dd305f81.jpg.html
I think I spin the ball too much, or in other words, I'm turning my hand too much and making the track go further out. I think he may have redrilled it with that in mind, because he did advise me to keep my hand behind the ball longer. Something else I need to work on I guess.
Black Widow Pearl 15 lbs
Roto Grip Cell 15 lbs
Hammer Blue Vibe 15 lbs
Hammer Razyr 15 lbs

#68822 - 10/16/08 08:18 PM Re: Need some advice [Re: hi_there]
FuseG4 Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 21/M/Saint George, UT
So that's kinda like a drilling that will go long but take just a bit longer to transition from skid-to-hook-to roll. So It should be good for fresh oil patters because it wont over-react to dry boards. A controlled reaction but with strong backend, angular but definately not a super-flipy kinda deal.

Play this ball a little straighter on heavy oil and on medium oil you can get a bit deeper.

I'm sure that if you get the feel for this ball you will love it.
It's gonna be different from your pearl widow. I would use the Cell as the first ball out of the bag and as the lanes dry up, I would switch to the widow. I use an Epic Odyssey and Cell Pearl in that way and I dig it.

Arsenal
Roto Grip Odyssey (cracked on 12/28/08)
Roto Grip Cell Pearl
Roto Grip Horizon Pearl (cracked on (1/4/09) RIP!!
Roto Grip Saturn

#68840 - 10/16/08 10:51 PM Re: Need some advice [Re: FuseG4]
hi_there Offline
League Bowler

Ok. Thanks for the info. Thinking of getting the Track uprising in a couple of months too. I'm thinking I might need a weeker ball sometime as well for when the lanes really dry out, but my widow seems to do alright on medium to dry lanes by changing of wrist positions, so I'm good for awhile anyway.
Black Widow Pearl 15 lbs
Roto Grip Cell 15 lbs
Hammer Blue Vibe 15 lbs
Hammer Razyr 15 lbs

#68856 - 10/17/08 09:02 AM Re: Need some advice [Re: hi_there]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
I have my cell drilled similarly - a bit weaker, actually. The key is that it's very responsive to changes in axis rotation. If you throw it straight, it will not create much hook on its own. If you give it rotation though, it will store some energy and come back plenty hard on the backend. It's actually my weakest drilled ball, but it will outhook any of my other equipment because of the energy it saves

That my boy... that's pro quality.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 10:42 AM
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Mkirchie - 10/21/18 07:57 AM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.