BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 12 of 315 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 314 315 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#68630 - 10/14/08 02:54 AM Re: What'd You bowl today? [Re: leftykev]
Jock Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 51/M/France, right handed
Originally Posted By: leftykev
....bowling on the scorpion pattern for 4 games shooting 206, 202, 212, 196 and of course didn't win a game since I used a ball not drilled for PBA patterns......

I must be missing something here. We're supposed to drill balls for patterns now?? We don't adjust anymore?? Do you guys know in advance what oil pattern you're going to find on the lanes?

I knew that, drilling wise, you can have a setup to roll early or to get more length, but a drilling for each pattern??

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#68652 - 10/14/08 01:18 PM Re: What'd You bowl today? [Re: Jock]
leftykev Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: Spokane, WA
Originally Posted By: Jock
Originally Posted By: leftykev
....bowling on the scorpion pattern for 4 games shooting 206, 202, 212, 196 and of course didn't win a game since I used a ball not drilled for PBA patterns......

I must be missing something here. We're supposed to drill balls for patterns now?? We don't adjust anymore?? Do you guys know in advance what oil pattern you're going to find on the lanes?

I knew that, drilling wise, you can have a setup to roll early or to get more length, but a drilling for each pattern??

I apologize for not supplying all the details for Jock smile When I bowled on Sunday, it was originally for practice only, with a ball drilled for length, since I bowl on a 9:00PM league with dry lanes. So, because I only intended to practice with this specific bowling ball, the only other ball I had was my plastic ball. When I arrived at the lanes, I was invited to bowl pot games on the scorpion pattern. I understood I needed to make major adjustments to get the ball to work on this pattern due to the larger volume of oil on the lanes, versus the normal house shot. Based on the scores I shot, I am happy with the way I bowled and I only lost each games by less than 10 pins.

But, I was at a disadvantage using a ball drilled for dry lanes on a PBA pattern, when everyone else used balls with more aggressive drilling.

So, I hope this provides the needed 'set the stage' for my original post. smile

Edited by leftykev (10/14/08 01:21 PM)

#68659 - 10/14/08 03:29 PM Re: What'd You bowl today? [Re: leftykev]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
On Friday I threw a 590. 4 opens in the last 5 frames of the third game really hurt me. I don't know what it is but I can't seem to pick up the 2,4,5. I had 5 of those on Friday that I missed and 3 more that I picked up.

On the upside, I believe that I found a decent fix to my fit until I get my fit fixed. Also it was the second time that week that I bowled league and finished with a higher series than my anchor bowler.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#68660 - 10/14/08 04:04 PM Re: What'd You bowl today? [Re: TheDemolitionMan]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
If you left 8 2-4-5's, you probably need to move right.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#68666 - 10/14/08 05:01 PM Re: What'd You bowl today? [Re: cgeorg]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

I was having some balance, drifting, being too low at the line (if that's possible) and ball speed issues. Having a relatively good fit is very new to me as is the freer swing that accompanies it. I'm still trying to get the ins and outs of both while at the same time break old habits.

And I don't know if it was 8 2-4-5s. It might've been less but it sure felt like that was a majority of the spares I was shooting at and missing. I don't have the score sheet on me so I can't say for sure, but right now the 2-5 or the 2-4-5 seem to be my bane when it comes to spare shooting. I either hit the 5 and leave the other two or hit the 2-4 and leave the 5. Quite annoying really, but I'll figure it out. I got a little help from one of my friends so I'll have to give his advice whirl and see what happens.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#68673 - 10/14/08 06:25 PM Re: What'd You bowl today? [Re: TheDemolitionMan]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
No matter what the cause, if 1/3 of your shots are coming in that light, and you can't fix it while you're bowling, move right.

If I really pure a 7 iron, I can hit it 190. So, when I have a 190 yard shot in front of me, do I use my 7 iron? No. I am not likely to pure it. I'll use my 6, swing easy, and more than likely end up on the green.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#68676 - 10/14/08 08:09 PM Re: What'd You bowl today? [Re: cgeorg]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

First the golf analogy is lost on me. Not my sport, I know very little about the game.

I do understand what you are saying though. Most them were bad shots on my part so I was rather reluctant to move because I also had a lot of good shots where I was. I also had a lot of bad shots because I was doing somethings I don't fully understand or have control of yet. I mean I hardly moved at all. I think I moved a board left the entire night.

And actually now that you mention it, that was probably too far. I should've went with my gut and only moved half a board left (yes I play half boards). Those last couple of frames it seemed like that one board move was too much and I should've moved back to the right a little.

I was puzzled at the end of the night though. I have never had a night where I had to move only a half a board through three games. I think the pattern was right for me so I didn't have to worry about transition until the very end i.e. last 5 frames.

Edited by TheDemolitionMan (10/14/08 08:14 PM)

#68715 - 10/15/08 04:26 PM Re: What'd You bowl today? [Re: TheDemolitionMan]
johnw1 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 66/m/Wynantskill/ny/usa
I almost duplicated my last score while shooting a 646. This was an erratic series as there was a 139 difference between my second and third games. I went from a 146 to a 285. The 146 was a fishing expedition which was solved starting with the third game where I went to the Lamemasters Hornet.

#68754 - 10/16/08 12:45 AM Re: What'd You bowl today? [Re: ]
Satyuros Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 19/m/Alberta Canada
What did I tell ya, eh? It's a mental thing, you've raised your level of game, so now it will happen more frequently. And one of the things you said that is one of the best things to hear is that you're "having a blast". That's what it's all about, isn't it? I know that now that I'm bowling quite well, I get crazy excited for league every week. It's a great feeling. Keep practicing and keep up the good work, and you'll only improve.
Storm T-road Pearl
Ebonite Maxim Blazing Fire
Hammer Black Widow Venom
Morich Seek and Destroy(old)

High Single: 300
High Series: 747
League Average: 209

#68772 - 10/16/08 09:07 AM Re: What'd You bowl today? [Re: Satyuros]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
562 ARGH!!!!!!!!

Page 12 of 315 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 314 315 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Any interest in a winter virtual league?
by SteveH - Yesterday at 10:22 PM
Nothing worse than falling apart late in a game
by Jason_C - Yesterday at 10:04 PM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 09:15 PM
Which ball
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 06:18 PM
Entry Angle
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 12:09 PM
Honor scores 2017-18
by Fin09 - 11/17/17 07:27 PM
My low track
by Jason_C - 11/17/17 01:38 PM
Back-up Bowling
by djp1080 - 11/16/17 08:31 PM
Has this happenned to any one
by 82Boat69 - 11/14/17 01:24 PM
Two handed with pinky and ring
by Dylan585 - 11/13/17 02:48 PM
2017 U.S. Open
by Dylan585 - 11/12/17 05:48 PM
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by SteveH - 11/05/17 09:51 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2017 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.