BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 62 of 63 < 1 2 ... 60 61 62 63 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#67475 - 09/26/08 08:22 AM Re: Weekend Leagues Get Ready!! [Re: Dennis Michael]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Oops, the censored word was complain, but a synonym that rhymed with witch.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#67652 - 09/29/08 03:48 AM Re: Weekend Leagues Get Ready!! [Re: Dennis Michael]
Bikedad Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 57/male/New Zealand. Right han...
Hi Dennis. I am moved by how closely your recent experience at an alley, that seems H*ll bent on driving away it's bread and butter, match my own. Your descriptions of the lanes and approaches are ones I could have written.
I have a great deal of sympathy for you, as VP, trying to deal with the problems, too. That is not the way to enjoy your bowling and I know that it does have an effect on your ability to concentrate when all around are moaning in your ear about this, that and the other thing! frown
The only reason any of us stuck it out for so long was the fact that we had nowhere else to go and we still wanted to bowl.
Personally, I decided that I would just have to get better and try to learn to bowl well in less than ideal conditions, so I worked hard in my practice times. There may be a pay-off now that the lanes have eased up and I am enjoying bowling again. For you and your friends, who are suffering, I can only wish the best of fortune and hope that things will come right eventually. You do, at least, have the option of voting with your feet if it should prove too much of a challenge but I'll bet that most of those left are stubborn, like me, and will stick it out and try to make it work. I wish you luck and good bowling, however bad it may seem. smile

Cheers,
Allan

Edited by Bikedad (09/29/08 03:51 AM)
Edit Reason: fat fingie syndrome

#67661 - 09/29/08 09:26 AM Re: Weekend Leagues Get Ready!! [Re: Bikedad]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

Allan,

You are right. There have been many similarities between my current exsperience and your previous discussions. We, fortunately or unfortunately, have other Houses and alternatives. In the long term, the one who suffers will be this house when it loses bowlers.

In my 4 years of bowling there, this House has gone from a competitive but fair house with many competitive bowlers, to one that is losing leagues. This is unfortunate, but I have already decided, after 4 weeks, that this will be my final year there.

#67758 - 09/30/08 05:06 AM Re: Weekend Leagues Get Ready!! [Re: Dennis Michael]
Bikedad Offline
High Roller

Fair enough, Dennis. If you have options then you would be mad not to exercise them. I know that we have lost a lot of bowlers (180 league bowlers now compared to 400+ two years ago) who simply could not stand another week/month or season on those conditions. They have not been sighted in the place since they left.
I bowled as a "Pacer" in the league tonight and it was miserable. Scores of 160, 117 and 144. There was simply no place for anyone swinging a bit of the lane tonight. The straight bowlers and "chuckers" scored through the roof. Those of us who hook the ball a bit had zero room for error. I suspect that the lanes were conditioned early in the day and the public have been all over them (school holidays at the moment). The pattern was long in the middle with lots of hold area but the edges were unreliable. I had nothing for the condition so just stuck at it the best I could. I'm glad we pre-bowled as we would have got killed on this condition! frown I was disappointed, not so much that I didn't bowl well, because mechanically, my game was as good as it has been these last few weeks but because I couldn't find a place to bowl that would give a consistent reaction. I think I will be down there on Sunday for practice and see what the pattern is like fresh... just in case the machine is playing up and not putting out the pattern that has been so good of late.
Right, that is my report for the night.
Good luck and good bowling to all.

Allan

#68575 - 10/11/08 07:12 PM Re: Weekend Leagues Get Ready!! [Re: Bikedad]
Bikedad Offline
High Roller

Well, the honeymoon is over! After three or four weeks of decent conditions we are back to the old rubbish lanes and sticky approaches. After bowling a 398 series last week as a "Pacer" I was seriously doubting what I was doing. I was completely baffled by what I was seeing my bowling ball doing and couldn't find any place to bowl with any of the three balls I took down (Depth Charge, ProHook and my Optyx plastic). The best ball on the night was the Optyx.
This morning, the Coach and I went down to check out my form to see what had gone wrong so quickly. It didn't take long for him to realise that there was little wrong with me but a LOT wrong on the lanes. Personally, I thought it was a good session because I averaged 160 over six games, but that was only because it was better than I had done the last two weeks! smile It was certainly not easy to find a line to the pocket, starting with feet on 45+, bowl over 20 at the arrows and out to 12 with my Big deal, got there when the lanes were absolutely fresh. That line disappeared after only half a dozen shots. After that, it was chase a bit of oil all over the lane, trying to find somewhere that worked. The most reliable shot was the OPtyx (again) up 7 or 8 with a bit of pace on it but even that went away eventually. Top score was 170, botton 144, average 160, so I wasn't too bad, mainly because I could pick up spares but there were plenty of unmakeables as well, which kept the scores down.
The coach bowled and he, also struggled with what was out there and averaged quite a bit lower than me, mainly because he didn't have a plastic ball with him. Even his weakest ball (Tropical) was too strong and unpredictable. He spoke with the tech staff to find out what was going on and it turns out that they have modified the pattern and they are no longer cleaning the approaches. The place has turned into a joke.

So, with no other alternative but to vote with our feet, we will be giving the League on Tuesday one last go and, if no improvement has been made following letters of complaint and verbal complaint this week, we will be pulling the pin on our bowling. I suspect that if we go, others will follow us.

Fun times ahead!

Cheers to all,
Allan

#68578 - 10/11/08 10:04 PM Re: Weekend Leagues Get Ready!! [Re: Bikedad]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

That's pretty serious. But, the lanes have to know how to treat their bread and butter. I certainly hope our fix on the lanes last longer.

#68583 - 10/12/08 04:52 AM Re: Weekend Leagues Get Ready!! [Re: Dennis Michael]
Bikedad Offline
High Roller

Yeah, I hope yours last longer, too! Coach and I discussed it all again this afternoon but came to the same conclusions we had this morning.. one more go, if no good, then we are outta there.
Shame, really, as I was going to enter the local area championships this year after not doing so for the last three. My bowling has been poor and I have not been in good form when the champs come up but this year, I am bowling well and have been in decent form for a while. Not that I fancy my chances... there are some good bowlers around, enough to make me an "also ran" but I'm in good enough nick to possibly make top ten. But trying to bowl on ratty conditions is nothing but an exercise in frustration... I can do that any day without paying an additional $130 for the privilege! smile
OK.. that's it for me for now. I will report back after Tuesday and see what happens.

Cheers to all,
Allan

#68601 - 10/12/08 10:39 PM Re: Weekend Leagues Get Ready!! [Re: Bikedad]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
I hope they fix it, before league on Tuesday Allan, it would be a shame to quit if you enjoy it, but there is no reason paying good money to chuck rocks a sticks, you are paying to bowl, and not getting what you paid for.

#68607 - 10/13/08 09:37 AM Re: Weekend Leagues Get Ready!! [Re: CoachJim]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: m/ Michigan
Thats a shame Allen,
That they are basically forcing you to cut something out of your life that you enjoy. Hopefully they come to their senses and realize that leagues are the life blood of a center and fix the problem before everyones gone. Why would you not clean the approaches? To save a little $$ on labor?? You would think that they would want to keep them clean to prevent any mishaps for liability reasons. Modify the pattern why?? Again to save money I suspect. Seems dumb to me.

Improving conditions so bowlers would want to bowl at their center seems like a better option to me. Offer a quality product at a fair price and people will buy it. Charge bowlers to bowl basically on a parking lot..and they will leave in droves.

Edited by Tim Gerard (10/13/08 09:44 AM)

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#68656 - 10/14/08 02:50 PM Re: Weekend Leagues Get Ready!! [Re: Tim Gerard]
Bikedad Offline
High Roller

Hi Guys, thanks for the support, it is much appreciated.

It would seem that our plea was heard... the lanes, approaches and Bowlers Area were as good as I can ever remember! smile We went prepared for the worst, with an HUGE arsenal of bowling balls, shoe soles, socks and all.. and when we went to bowl, it was apparent immediately, the lanes and approaches were in excellent condition and the pattern was the one developed earlier. When we had a look around the Bowlers Area we found that it was CLEAN, no food stomped into the floor, drink spills had all been cleaned up.. a real transformation and very pleasing.
So.. to bowling... I had a very solid night with 219, 213 and 197 for 629 series. This is my new high series in league play. Very pleased with that. My son rolled 692 series and our young lady 468 (she had a really "off" night). The team we bowled against had 99 pins per game on us but we managed to take all the points even though they also bowled above their average. THAT was the difference the lane conditions made to almost everyone.

For now, we are back in the game, and very pleased to be there. Long may it continue! smile

Cheers and good bowling to all (Dennis, CoachJim and Tim in particular) smile

Allan

Page 62 of 63 < 1 2 ... 60 61 62 63 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Any interest in a winter virtual league?
by SteveH - Yesterday at 10:22 PM
Nothing worse than falling apart late in a game
by Jason_C - Yesterday at 10:04 PM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 09:15 PM
Which ball
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 06:18 PM
Entry Angle
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 12:09 PM
Honor scores 2017-18
by Fin09 - 11/17/17 07:27 PM
My low track
by Jason_C - 11/17/17 01:38 PM
Back-up Bowling
by djp1080 - 11/16/17 08:31 PM
Has this happenned to any one
by 82Boat69 - 11/14/17 01:24 PM
Two handed with pinky and ring
by Dylan585 - 11/13/17 02:48 PM
2017 U.S. Open
by Dylan585 - 11/12/17 05:48 PM
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by SteveH - 11/05/17 09:51 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2017 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.