BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#68173 - 10/05/08 05:19 PM bowling is becoming more and more frustrating
Steven manier Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: 15/male/california
my name is steven manier and im 14 years old turning 15 in two days. i got first introduced to bowling when i was able to walk because my parents bowled alot. i bowl 3 leagues and average at least 200 in all of them. i win many tournaments and i find bowling fun but over the last year or so its become very frustrating... i realized that even though i have been bowling for so long and i average pretty high that i cant seem to bowl a 300 game. my high game is a 287 and ive had at least 20 279 games. when im bowling and i get about 6 or 7 in a row then i leave a pocket 10 or tug it and miss it makes me not even want to bowl anymore because it seems i just cant get to perfection. i plan on trying to get a scholarship to a decent school and maybe go pro some day. any suggestions on what i should do would be appreciaated
Current average: 213

Columbia 300 Momentum Swing
Storm Hy Road
Roto Grip Rogue Cell
Brunswick Maxxx zone
Brunswick Fury Pearl
WD Spare ball

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#68175 - 10/05/08 05:49 PM Re: bowling is becoming more and more frustrating [Re: Steven manier]
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Jacksonville, NC
First, Steve, welcome to the board. Sounds like you're a pretty accomplished junior bowler and I hope that carries on into your adult bowling someday. Now, for your post...

Originally Posted By: Steven manier
...any suggestions on what i should do would be appreciaated

I have one suggestion and one only - be patient. You're 15 years old and this game isn't easy. If you keep working at your game (especially your mental game), you'll find that the game will come easier. Believe me, you have a lot to learn. If it was easy we'd all have a basket full of honor scores before we got 5 years into the game. But to appreciate success, you also need to taste the agony of defeat.

I admire the fact that you're pursuing perfection, but don't let it consume you. When I was your age I was in the 190+ average range, had quite a few 270 games but my one and only 300 eluded me for many years until I was 29 years old. During those 14 years, though, I averaged in the 190+ range in 4 different states and bowled on some really tough conditions that made me a much better overall bowler

The moral is the more you press, the worse you'll do. Take what the lanes give you and don't try to do too much. If you shoot a 279 then that's what you shoot. Do it 3 times and it's an 837. But stay within yourself and don't be too consumed with "posting scores" because the more you worry about numbers, the harder you will find it is to achieve them. Just focus on the moment - that ball - and you'll find your scores will be even better.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

#68177 - 10/05/08 06:02 PM Re: bowling is becoming more and more frustrating [Re: Brian Longo]
Steven manier Offline
Junior Coach

thanks brian. and i bowl JBT tournaments (junior bowlers tournament) so i have tasted the agony of defeat a few times haha. thanks for the advice and i bowl a league tonight so ill let you know how i do with the advice.

Storm Hy Road
Roto Grip Rogue Cell
Brunswick Maxxx zone
Brunswick Fury Pearl
WD Spare ball

#68180 - 10/05/08 06:22 PM Re: bowling is becoming more and more frustrating [Re: Steven manier]
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Jacksonville, NC
If you can shoot the scores, then you most likely have a good physical game. I'm sure you can improve in a few areas (we all can), but it might be worthwhile to begin working on your mental game a lot more, and I gave you a start. Use your leagues to work on your game so you'll bowl better in tournaments.

I can tell you from personal experience (because I used to press for a 300 and an 800 before I got both), and others on this board will tell you the same, but once you start changing your vision from "what I need to do to shoot such-and-such" to "what I need to do to carry this ball", you'll find better results around the corner. Don't look at the "big picture" too soon because there are a lot of steps that compose that big picture. If you miss any of those steps, then the picture doesn't shape up like you envisioned it.

Just focus on the ball that you need to shoot at that time, whether it's a first ball or second ball. Get pin count when you leave a split, especially if you're on a strike. If you miss a spare, it's ok to get upset at yourself but at the same time you need to realize that you're human and you'll make mistakes, so don't dwell on "what happened last frame", but instead focus on what you need to do to walk away from the next frame throwing only one ball (in other words, focus on what you need to do to strike) and only let that ball enter your head.

Like any sport, when you make a mistake, you have to have a "short memory" otherwise your mistakes will eat you alive. You can't change the past. You can't change the future, either. The only thing you can do is work within the present. Everything else will shape itself for you.

#68187 - 10/05/08 10:20 PM Re: bowling is becoming more and more frustrating [Re: Steven manier]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Hi Steven, welcome to the site.

If you could post a video of yourself bowling from the side and from behind I might be able to see if you can do something to improve your physical game.

First here are some check points that will help you improve:

1. Hold your balance until the ball hits the pins

2. Watch the ball all the way through the pins

3. Develop a feel for where on the lane you want the ball to hook (break point).

4. Watch the ball reaction and break point of other bowlers who are doing well and try to get your ball to hook back to the pocket from the same area. If you are a power player and the straighter players are doing well playing up the 5 board and hooking the ball to the pocket at 45ft from the 5 all you need to do is figure out where you need to stand and aim to get the ball to the 5 board at 45ft. If you are a straighter player and the power players are crossing the 20 board at the arrows and the ball is going out to the 5 board at 45ft then you just need to figure how to get your ball to react from the same point by choosing the right ball and standing on the right board, aim at the right board and use the right amount of side rotation and speed to get your ball to do the same. Don't just keep grinding in the same shot over and over and expect different results because it will not happen.

5. After doing #1 and #2 check your slide foot to see if it is on the same board every time and that you aren't drifting. Drifting = finishing in a different spot every shot, not finishing on a different board than you started.

6. Keep your release smooth, grabbing the ball at the release is never a good thing.

To work on your mental game you must first understand what the mental game is. The mental game is not just staying focused and concentrating and deep breathing, all of those things help, but they all go away as soon as you don't know what to do. Frustration leads to a downward spiral, the worse you do the more frustrated you become and the more frustrated you become, the worse you do.

You must figure out why you are leaving all of those 10 pins, or why your ball goes high on the head pin one shot, then washes out after you make adjustments for the ball going high.

All of these frustration points are questions and the lack of answers cause the frustration to grow. What specifically is causing your frustrations can be answered and then you develop your skills to deal with it so the next time it happens you will know the proper adjustment and it will not kill your entire outing.

#68192 - 10/05/08 11:34 PM Re: bowling is becoming more and more frustrating [Re: CoachJim]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Believe it or not there are bowlers that average over 200 and NEVER shoot 300 their entire lives. Its really not owed to you. When it happens it will just happen. If you talk to people that have shot 300 (and I'm sure you have) they will almost all tell you they never saw it coming. They didn't wake up that day and feel like they had to get to the lanes because their 300 was waiting. You have to stay in the moment and just keep doing the best that you can.

What are you going to do if you bowl 300? Are you going to be forever different, comb your hair different, brush your teeth different? How is doing so going to impact your future bowling career? What if you never shoot 300 are you going to quit bowling? If so when? How long are you going to give it? If I were in your shoes, at this stage of your life, I'd hope that a 300 waits until I am out of Jrs then you can get a ring instead of the Jr medal.

Like Brian said, if you press it will only inhibit you from higher scores. And don't be so hard on yourself. I know you've been bowling a long time, but you have years and years ahead of you. You think you have been bowling a long time, but my partner averaged over 200 for 18 years before he shot his first 300 at age 35. It'll happen you just need to turn your focus away from the score to the Execution of the shot. Heck, I've known people that have shoot 800 series before they've shot 300 game. What happens if that happens to you?

Erin

#68196 - 10/05/08 11:55 PM Re: bowling is becoming more and more frustrating [Re: Atochabsh]
Steven manier Offline
Junior Coach

its not that i think its owed to me its just to get this weight off my shoulders because i dont know why but it frustrates me alot. thanks for all of that advice jim

Storm Hy Road
Roto Grip Rogue Cell
Brunswick Maxxx zone
Brunswick Fury Pearl
WD Spare ball

#68197 - 10/05/08 11:55 PM Re: bowling is becoming more and more frustrating [Re: Atochabsh]
Steven manier Offline
Junior Coach

its not that i think its owed to me its just to get this weight off my shoulders because i dont know why but it frustrates me alot. thanks for all of that advice jim

Storm Hy Road
Roto Grip Rogue Cell
Brunswick Maxxx zone
Brunswick Fury Pearl
WD Spare ball

#68198 - 10/06/08 12:36 AM Re: bowling is becoming more and more frustrating [Re: Steven manier]
jsigone Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 28/m/San Diego, CA
it will come in time, I've shot well over a hundred 279s, got frustated too. It WILL happen.

I'd forget the 300 and work on getting an 8, was much more satisfying

Storm Dimension 4" PAP 2000grit
Storm Xfactor ACE 5" PAP 4000grit
BW Venom 5X4 layout
Lane#1 Gforce EVO 5" PAP 1000grit
Track Kinetic 4 3/4" PAP x 4" 600grit
Old Plastic Rhino

#68199 - 10/06/08 12:57 AM Re: bowling is becoming more and more frustrating [Re: jsigone]
Reconbbs Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 21/Male/York Pennsylvania
I'd agree with jsigone that achieving a 800 which I haven't done yet is much more satisfying than a 300. Yes...getting my first 300 was pretty sweet but I have yet to string 3 high games in a row for a 800 plus series. I don't know how satisfying getting a 300 is but I'm sure that its a lot better than a 300.

Hammer Black Widow Bite
DV8 Misfit
DV8 Reckless
Visionary AMB Centaur

High Game-300x2
High Series-836

Fall League Averages
Tuesday 234
Thursday 225

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - Today at 03:29 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by 6_ball_man - Yesterday at 10:22 AM
no one on for 5 days
by 82Boat69 - 05/23/18 04:38 PM
True Motion vs. Black Widow Urethane
by Mkirchie - 05/20/18 07:28 AM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Dennis Michael - 05/12/18 06:43 PM
For the good of the sport?
by Dennis Michael - 04/29/18 10:29 PM
Superstitions?
by Dennis Michael - 04/26/18 06:09 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.