BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 27 of 149 < 1 2 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 148 149 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#67072 - 09/22/08 10:41 AM Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2008 [Re: AmpleSound]
eastwest Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: No. VA
Had an absolutely abysmal past couple of weeks and really need to practice. I'll be heading to the lanes for a "all you can bowl" 9-11pm practice tonight. Third game of league last night was decent, with a turkey in there, but I allowed myself to mentally get frustrated. It's like I'm afraid to commit to the shots I'm throwing. When I finally relax, think, and go for it...the magic happens. I'll get back to my 200+ games, but for now I need to make consistency and confidence top priorities.
------------
R.I.P. DC ABT Chapter >:-|
------------
My 6th-Round.com MMA news and opinion site

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#67085 - 09/22/08 03:31 PM Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2008 [Re: AmpleSound]
jsigone Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 28/m/San Diego, CA
got a new ball, my buddy just got a BW Bite on friday, picked up his Venom for $40 bucks. The Vemon is barely used, he didn't like the backend snap. No mods really needed, his thumb is a bit bigger but I can work with it. I already changed out the finger tips with some I had laying around. He sanded it down to a 2000grit so we'll see how it acts tonight, might polish it back ti OOB. Looks to be about 5" from PAP with the MB in the stacked layout. so 5x4??? maybe....

Storm Dimension 4" PAP 2000grit
Track Kinetic 4 3/4" PAP x 4" 600grit
Old Plastic Rhino

#67092 - 09/22/08 04:07 PM Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2008 [Re: jsigone]
Let1Hang Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 36/M/Akron, OH
Well last week was another dismal outing. I had my lowest series to date at 128, 126, 159 = 413. I had figured going in that some things would change as I had my first lesson the prior Saturday but geez. At least I was able to pull in another individual point in my last game but so far for the season we haven't won a game.

I have a feeling that this week will be much... much different. I was doing some "lawn bowling" the night after my outing trying to figure out what in the hell I did wrong. To say the least it was my release. After trying a few things out I had a couple lightbulb moments.

I figured out that my grip was a bit too weak. By that I mean that my grip pressure was extremely light causing my wrist to go limp, causing the ball to come off my hand prematurely, causing my fingers to be more on top of the ball, causing a slow rev rate, etc. I am now using a bit more pressure in my grip so that I don't allow my wrist to break back during the swing/release. I've got my wrist to be at least straight if not slightly loaded. I'm now feeling the ball come off my thumb first and then my fingers. This position is also allowing me to loft the ball further onto the lane too. smile

The second lightbulb was the "turning of the doorknob" at the release point. Bulb 1 allowed for my hand to be in the proper position to do this. Doing the doorknob turn for high axis of rotation still needs some work but the mid and low rotation releases are working out quite well.

Bulb 3 involved the snugness of my thumbhole. It turns out that I was making it too tight for this new release as I kept getting hung up. I now know how snug to make the thumbhole for the proper hand positioned release.

I ended up bowling 12 games for practice yesterday working primairily on my release. The good thing also is what my coach and I were working on at my lesson laid a good foundation for me to get the proper leverage at the release point that I can take advantage of. I was throwing the ball much harder than I have been and the ball had enough revs that it grabbed and drove to the pins in the dry... well at least when I released it properly. I haven't really had this happen very often in the past while throwing at the speed I was at last night. Usually the ball would sail past the pocket right into the 3... if I was lucky.

Next week I'm getting in the handicap pots as I feel like I've turned a corner. When I was actually trying for score last night I averaged about 190 over 5 games, 40+ pins higher than my current average.
HG: 276
HS: 727 (267,276,182)

Avg: 204
HG: 255
HS: 721

Avg: 194
HG: 263
HS: 679

Avg: 187
HG: 257
HS: 636

Career
LHG: 300 - 12/28/09
LHS: 727 (300,226,201) - 12/28/09
PHG: 268
PHS: 691

#67124 - 09/23/08 12:01 AM Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2008 [Re: Let1Hang]
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Jacksonville, NC
This is kind of a two-week post. Last week was the first night of the scratch league and man, was it ever brutal. Only 6 out of 60 bowlers cracked 600 and yours truly fought like hell to eek out a 502 (169-186-147). Odd thing was I had a total of 6 opens all night long, but few of my non-strikes (and there were many, let me tell you) were 9 counts. I had a lot of 8 counts and I wasn't really adjusting well to the shot. I was trying to play more direct but I could not keep my shoulders in line. First night of the year and I still only bowl once a week so I have to give myself some slack. Yes it was tough but I wasn't the only "scratch bowler" to be far below last year as some people were in the mid-400's. It always amazes me how just a little extra volume of oil and a little less blend tends to bring scores back to Earth.

Ten years ago I would've lost my composure around, oh, frame 7 of the first game...seriously. I would've been lucky to shoot a 450 and would've threatened to quit and would've been quite the horse's "you-know-what" on the lanes. I did get irritated at myself the last game and began to fume but I was able to clear my head long enough to get myself over 500. I think that alone is a testament to my mental game and the work I've done to improve. I am not pleased with a 500 but I can accept it a whole lot more knowing I kept my composure than if I lost it. Even my opponents who knew me and my attitude when I first bowled there 10 years ago were quite complimentary of the fact that they didn't have to "duck for cover" after a bad shot (and man, there were plenty). I'm always a work in progress, but out of all the accomplishments I've had in bowling, right now, this tops it all.

This week was a different story (score-wise, not attitude-wise). I was rolling the ball much better (more relaxed, more hand, less effort) and I was actually up inside the OOB (as opposed to skimming it last week) playing a line I haven't played in 5 years with a ball that I wouldn't think could make the corner (my Xxxcel). I went 187-181-234 for a 602 and I was very pleased with my 2nd and 3rd games. My first game I could tolerate, but I made dumb mistakes shooting multi-pin spares which cost me a 200 (I had 3 opens, all 3-6 combos). The second game had 2 splits (none made - one was a pocket 7-10 that I came about 8 inches from picking up) and 9 counts or strikes. The third game was clean; I had 7 strikes, 2 seven counts and two nine counts. My timing was better and I was pleased at my patience. I got upset with myself a little bit the first game but I didn't let it affect me for long.

Overall, scores are WAY down thanks to the new pattern. There isn't a lot of griping, surprisingly, but that might be because it was announced that the shot was going to be tougher and nobody was caught off guard. Frankly, I like it because people are earning their scores instead of having their ball funneled to the pocket. Sure, it's fun to throw strikes and I would be lying if I said I hated averaging 223 last year, but I would rather earn a 650 or 700 with accuracy than to have 5 boards to shoot at, really. A bowler's true mettle comes out when there's only 1-2 boards to shoot at and you're punished for being 1 MPH off between shots.

I think part of my problem the first week was I was "over-analyzing my game" as I was going to do the BowlSK thing that Chris set up. I ditched it after 6 frames but I think it affected me for the rest of the night. I'm an idiot for trying because I ought to know my own game better than that. When I'm tracking every little thing on the lane, my game goes to pot in a hurry. I do my best when I'm thinking less and just making "feel adjustments". Now, I am not knocking the idea of BowlSK - I think it's a terrific idea and I commend and applaud Chris for all the hard work he's done with it. Those who feel they need to track every ball, go ahead. I will say it's not for me and will stick with the "overall results" instead. wink But I did want to plug BowlSK because I know there was a tremendous amount of effort put into the conception and coding of the site and those of you who use the site should thank Chris for his services. If I could do it, I would, but frankly, it's more of a hinderance to my game than a help. I did try, though.

Hmmm...actually, I just noticed that there's a "simple" interface. That I'll use because I'd rather track scores than every individual shot. Again, thanks a lot, Chris, for the wonderful site. If I can help you in any way, let me know.

#67137 - 09/23/08 03:19 AM Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2008 [Re: Brian Longo]
jsigone Offline
Action Bowler

i gave up doing the bowlSK thing WHILE bowling!!! I take my blackberry after the game is over and take a picture of the screen shot, so I can do it on my own time and not get mental about the game since you write down everything.

Tonight was another scratch league night, we played the heavy hitters. The bottom two guys are the ones that win 99% of the tournys here in San Diego and maybe even LA area. I played the new Venom, which is a very speed picky ball to say the least, tad fast on the same break and the ball won't flip, it arcs. Tad slow it flips to the head. Left the ball with the sanded 2000grit ab finish. Rolled a 181 first game, all strikes on the left lane, and nothing on the right, had two roman churchs and the rest were spare, no good. Second game, I added more snap to the release and tried to keep the ball speed up and consistant. Rolled a 226. Last game had some carry issues, left alot of 6 and 10 pins ended with a 213. 620 for the night, we lost all though, my top guy rolled a 679, second guy fought all night with light pocket and had a 510 or something, my anchor is getting moved from last for bowling a 521. Two weeks in a row he been in a slump, and these games are coming down to the 10th frame. We aggred to move me back to anchor so it can take some pressure off him.

My thoughts of the Venom. AWESOME pin act but speed picky. I am going hand sanded it down to 1000 grit to give it some more traction and hope a lil more consistant. Since pin is above my ring, I think it's too far from my PAP and goes too deep for my style. Sanding it should give me another entry angle into the pocket compaired to the Dimension and Kinetic. This ball love speed and revs, need the revs for the pin action.

Old Plastic Rhino

#67147 - 09/23/08 07:51 AM Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2008 [Re: jsigone]
SilentTuba Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 25/M/NJ
Well last night was absolutely abysmal. Didn't make my (already pretty low) average all night. Kept pulling my arm across my body, missing easy spares...really awful night for me, bowling wise.

It wasn't all bad, though. Last night, we bowled some of the best bowlers in the league....2 of their guys had 190 averages. After we were done, one of them spent a good ten minutes giving me advice, based on what he saw me doing all night. I'm really excited, and may try to go practice this week before my next league night, to try out what he told me.

So even though I bowled very poorly, it ended up being a productive night.

#67169 - 09/23/08 11:03 AM Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2008 [Re: SilentTuba]
TPO298 Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 18/M/St. Paul Park, MN
just had a decent series 230 211 182 for 623
i have been just rolling the hell out of the ball this year
idk what it is
i averaged 182 last year in my junior league but this year i am at 201 in an adult league beating everyone on my team

5th year and this year is my first year in Adult leagues.

2008 High Game: 256
2008 High Series: 629
2008 Average: 201

#67184 - 09/23/08 01:06 PM Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2008 [Re: SilentTuba]
jsigone Offline
Action Bowler

Originally Posted By: SilentTuba
Well last night was absolutely abysmal. Didn't make my (already pretty low) average all night. Kept pulling my arm across my body, missing easy spares...really awful night for me, bowling wise.

It wasn't all bad, though. Last night, we bowled some of the best bowlers in the league....2 of their guys had 190 averages. After we were done, one of them spent a good ten minutes giving me advice, based on what he saw me doing all night. I'm really excited, and may try to go practice this week before my next league night, to try out what he told me.

So even though I bowled very poorly, it ended up being a productive night.

its good to hear people are helping you out. Just remember what they pointed out next time your are up. Even better go there today and throw a few games while it's fresh in your head.

Old Plastic Rhino

#67187 - 09/23/08 01:33 PM Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2008 [Re: Brian Longo]
NewEnglandBowler Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 24/m/MA, USA
Originally Posted By: Brian Longo

I think part of my problem the first week was I was "over-analyzing my game" as I was going to do the BowlSK thing that Chris set up. I ditched it after 6 frames but I think it affected me for the rest of the night. I'm an idiot for trying because I ought to know my own game better than that. When I'm tracking every little thing on the lane, my game goes to pot in a hurry. I do my best when I'm thinking less and just making "feel adjustments". Now, I am not knocking the idea of BowlSK - I think it's a terrific idea and I commend and applaud Chris for all the hard work he's done with it. Those who feel they need to track every ball, go ahead. I will say it's not for me and will stick with the "overall results" instead. wink But I did want to plug BowlSK because I know there was a tremendous amount of effort put into the conception and coding of the site and those of you who use the site should thank Chris for his services. If I could do it, I would, but frankly, it's more of a hinderance to my game than a help. I did try, though.

Hmmm...actually, I just noticed that there's a "simple" interface. That I'll use because I'd rather track scores than every individual shot. Again, thanks a lot, Chris, for the wonderful site. If I can help you in any way, let me know.

i think i'm in the same boat as you are here. the first two weeks i brought the bowlSK sheets to bowling and found that i was trying to hard to do things (because i was notcing more when i missed the mark or ball speed was too low) and therefore everything was out of whack. i find that this is likely one of my issues with the start of this year because, after the first week, my coach helped me find a mark which had been elusive to me all day, and rather than keeping track of everything about the shot i was just throwing the ball and not worrying about much of anything, which drastically improved my shot quality. Next week i am going to bring my power machine with me (which is drilled for early roll) and leave the paradigm at home (which basically gets no action because it does nearly the same thing as my ace, with a little more, and less controllable, hook) and also leave the scoresheets at home, and see if i don't do better this week.
HS: 766 (4/25/13)
Career:
HG: 300 (4/11/12) VG Nano
HS: 766 (4/25/13) Jet Black Taboo

League
Innovate, First Blood, Jet Black Taboo, T-Zone Orange

#67189 - 09/23/08 02:18 PM Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2008 [Re: NewEnglandBowler]
bradw Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 37/M/oklahoma city
I only keep track on my pins on the bowlSK sheets. i figure i won't need any reference to missed marks in the future but it is nice to see what pins i leave and how many spares i missed.

just keeping tracks of the pins doesn't take my mind away from my game.
Lane #1 - Agent Orange
Lane #1 - Blue Death
Lane #1 - Teal THS
900 Global - Bank
Motiv - Recon

HG: 255
HS: 647

Page 27 of 149 < 1 2 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 148 149 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Mkirchie - 10/14/18 12:15 PM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.