BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#66462 - 09/12/08 08:16 PM lightbulb core?
NewEnglandBowler Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 24/m/MA, USA
alright, i believe it was brian longo that said that i was missing something that was more predictable, something with a little less differential (bowling balls currently in the bag(s) listed below), and he mentioned something about looking for a medium-strength ball with a lightbulb core. i did some research and found that the following have lightbulb cores (or something similar to said core):

Brunswick Avalanche (solid and pearl)
Street Rod (solid and pearl)
Ebonite Clash

are there any other balls on the market now that have a lightbulb core (or something similar)?
HS: 766 (4/25/13)
Career:
HG: 300 (4/11/12) VG Nano
HS: 766 (4/25/13) Jet Black Taboo

League
Innovate, First Blood, Jet Black Taboo, T-Zone Orange

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#66465 - 09/12/08 10:21 PM Re: lightbulb core? [Re: NewEnglandBowler]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
I can't think of any other newer equipment right now with a light bulb core, but several of the early '90s balls had a light bulb core.
HS:763

#66470 - 09/12/08 11:14 PM Re: lightbulb core? [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
NewEnglandBowler Offline
High Roller

oh ok. i have an early 90's ball (cuda 2000) that my friend found at a tag sale (you may have read that in another post), but i don't roll it because there is some hairline cracks around one of the fingers. i was contemplating fixing it, but decided that it would be better to wait until i can get a decent income and get a new bag and then something specifically for medium lanes (as my sig shows, i don't really have anything like that). was looking at one of the above balls or possibly an ebonite playmaker. the playmaker looks very solid to me.
Career:

League

#66474 - 09/13/08 12:05 AM Re: lightbulb core? [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Jacksonville, NC
If you cannot find a lightbulb core it's not that big of a deal. The main thing is to find a ball that has a symmetrical core and a relatively weak cover. Reading the specs on the Puma it's a 2.47 RG and .045 differential for a 15 pound ball. The RG suggests early roll and the differential suggests medium, and it's all of that. I drilled it label and because of the RG and differential it works well on most patterns with a fair amount of head oil.

On drier patterns, because of the sanded cover, it's really not the best, but I do not find drier shots all that often so it's no big deal to me. Besides, I have a Command Zone and an Xcel Pearl for drier conditions.

The main idea I'm trying to illustrate is that too many people have aggressive or super-aggressive equipment as their only options. You need something in your bag that flies under the radar, something that's not all that aggressive but is able to manage quirkier lane conditions. Granted, it will most likely not be your first choice out of the bag, but you have to know when to put away the V-8 Cadillac and opt for the 4 cylinder Chevy now and then. A strong-drilled hook-in-the-box will not make life easy for you when the heads are nearly shot. A medium drilled symmetric with a weaker cover will depending on the overall shot. Tall cores work fine for slower speed bowlers on drier shots. "Puck cores" such as the old stingers do well also.

If you consider yourself a "serious bowler" and bowl in more than one center or on different shifts, you need more variety than the same hook-in-the-box drilled the same way in every available ball slot in your bag. Granted the choices are limited in the "mid-level/weaker ball" department, but a good Pro Shop person can assess the needs of the bowler and give you what you need. If you are hard pressed to find "a good Pro Shop person", ask around either in your town or on here. There are a few drillers on this board and I have even drilled a couple of balls for a couple of people I've never met in person (don't ask me to do it, though, because I don't have access to drilling equipment). In this day and age of the Internet, there are many resources at your disposal. Learn to use the ones available to you and to educate yourself at the same time.

#66506 - 09/13/08 01:34 PM Re: lightbulb core? [Re: Brian Longo]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
Any of the balls mentioned though are very good to have. They have strong but smooth reactions, given a non-flooded condition.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#66538 - 09/13/08 10:03 PM Re: lightbulb core? [Re: cgeorg]
NewEnglandBowler Offline
High Roller

even the playmaker, you think? i was looking at that or a street rod pearl, i think the avalanche line will be a little too weak for me to play on medium oil lanes.
Career:

League

#66543 - 09/13/08 10:32 PM Re: lightbulb core? [Re: NewEnglandBowler]
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Jacksonville, NC
The Playmaker may be a bit too strong. You have to consider your own physical game. For me, my average speed is anywheres from 15-18 MPH depending on the conditions with 13-16 hand revs. If you're more speed dominant, then a shorter (lower RG) core is better than a taller (high RG) core.

KMRyan, I would assume by the way you talk about your game that you should look for equipment in the 2.55+ range. I think anything more lower RG than that will arrive DOA to the pocket. Now, that's purely a guess because I've never seen you bowl, but you state you're a slower bowler with lower revs, so the lower RG ball isn't necessarily a great idea. But I've been known to be wrong and again, not seeing you bowl makes my assessment difficult at best.

#66558 - 09/13/08 11:46 PM Re: lightbulb core? [Re: Brian Longo]
NewEnglandBowler Offline
High Roller

well, the last time i went to a house with speed readings, i was near 14mph at the pin deck, so i suppose i'm around where you are in terms of speed. i only play really slow playing further in. i don't know how many revs i get but my guess would be between 8 and 12 before the roll. i don't know if that helps at all.
Career:

League

#66559 - 09/13/08 11:49 PM Re: lightbulb core? [Re: Brian Longo]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
The Avalanche line is not as weak as it may seem... I was just practicing for a tournament I'll be in tomorrow, and the Avalanche was the only ball I could play - everything else was hitting weak. I had the Avalanche at 4000 + high polish, and was playing around 17 at the arrows out to 8 or so. If I got slow, it split. The solid is a lot of ball, and it will store its energy for when it is needed.

I really can't say enough good things about it - I bought it to replace my benchmark ball, and it has exceeded my expectations.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#66577 - 09/14/08 02:12 AM Re: lightbulb core? [Re: cgeorg]
NewEnglandBowler Offline
High Roller

well, my fear is that i won't get enough revs with my axis tilt to get either of the avalanches to move. i don't know how reliable the "perfect scale" is on bowling ball (dot) com, but the avalanche pearl is only rated at 129.9 on a scale from 1-300. i don't know if anyone else has looked at that. i suppose now is not really the time to talk about it, because as it stands i won't be able to buy a medium oil ball until sometime closer to christmas.
Career:

League

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 02:32 PM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 09/23/18 10:56 AM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 09/12/18 08:37 AM
For the good of the sport?
by Dennis Michael - 09/07/18 04:48 AM
End of Days
by steveA - 09/05/18 04:25 PM
Off-Spot Rule and Pinspotter Operation Question
by BOSStull - 09/01/18 06:43 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.