BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 61 of 63 < 1 2 ... 59 60 61 62 63 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#66455 - 09/12/08 05:46 PM Re: Weekend Leagues Get Ready!! [Re: Dennis Michael]
Bikedad Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 57/male/New Zealand. Right han...
Greeting Dennis and CoachJim, yeah.. sorry about the constant moans about the lanes and approaches, everything except the bowler! smile
For a while, our centre had listened to us (the bowlers) about the condition of the place and had tried to do something about it. During that time, we had been able to demonstrate to them what we were talking about. While all that was going on, we (the three of us in our team) had been working hard to correct our own deficiencies to try to take those variables out of the equation. Personally, I have managed to get my season average up to 168 with a string of 180 - 190 average series and have been quite pleased with progress. Last week I managed just 447 for the night, very consistent scores but not high as many good shots were lost with only a variation of a board either side of the break point. This lead to a large number of "unmakeables" which I just got as many pins out of as possible. Frustrating times again. I have just heard that the Head Tech for our centre has resigned because he wasn't able to do his job properly. The constant fiddling with his decisions finally got too much for him. A shame, as he was actively interested in getting the place back to a reasonable standard.
CoachJim, I certainly tried the strong ball up the outside but we have an "out-of-bounds" on the RHS which goes from board 6 out and pretty much all the way to the pin deck. I used a Big deal and slowed my pace down to allow it to grip and turn but I couldn't get it to quite make the pocket. The ball skidded too far down the lane and left me some horrors to try to clean up smile Approaches are synthetic but are very worn out with polished areas where Joe Public has worn through the tough top layer. Some lanes are now down to the wood underneath. Trying to get a consistent slide on these has proved to be very difficult (Teflon sock required!! smile ) We showed the centre what the approaches between the lanes are like (like new) and they are great but useless frown
Ok... we will back on the lanes again today and tomorrow for more practice and analysis to see if we can overcome the latest set of problems.

Thanks for your replies, folks and it is good to see some are still here.

Cheers and good bowling to all,
Allan

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#66776 - 09/17/08 05:03 AM Re: Weekend Leagues Get Ready!! [Re: Bikedad]
Bikedad Offline
High Roller

UPDATE!
Wow! What a difference a week can make. As I stated in my last post, we headed down to the lanes over the weekend to try to work out the problems but found that the lanes were in such awful condition, even though freshly "conditioned", that it was almost impossible to get anything meaningful out of the session. Of the three of us, when we bowled three games for score, I topped the list with a 170 game. Most of the other games were in the 135 - 145 region. The approaches were dismal, even with the socks on. I was still stiff and sore from the bowling on Tuesday and I just made it worse, not to mention breaking plenty of sweat trying to get the ball down the lane.
Our coach got hold of the centre manager and laid down the law, big time. She, after some convincing, gave permission to him to come up with a solution and try to get the techs involved in the "improvement" scheme.
The result was a crash course in learning how our lane machine works (a Kegel Crossfire with the 8-pad conversion), learn how to set it to the original settings and , since the original factory programmes had been erased, come up with a oil pattern that would suit ALL bowlers. We worked on this overnight (Sunday) and on Monday, armed with the Brunswick lane maintenance manual, the Coach went to the lanes to implement his plans.
The tech staff were, at forst, sceptical but became more enthused when, during machine inspection, cleaning and setting up, they found that it was poorly set and wasn't doing it's job of cleaning and oiling well.
To cut a long story short, the programme went well and the results on the lanes and approaches was a transformation of almost biblical proportions!
Over two days of league play, when all of the centre's top bowlers will play, the results were as we expected. Those that can bowl well and accurately were rewarded with good scores, not outrageously high, but consistent. Those that threw all over the lane were punished, not aided by any walling. All bowlers came off the lanes with a smile, most freshly enthused and looking forward to bowling the next week. The lanes stayed consistent from lane to lane right along the centre and the approaches have improved dramatically. They also remained consistent and allowed a small slide without being slippery but not sticky.
As a team, when we bowled on Tuesday, we were able to bowl to our potential. Our top bowler averaging 220, our young lady a 201 and myself, 200. Personally, I didn't read the new lanes well in the first game and paid the price for not moving when my line was giving poor carry and managed a 166. The second game, I moved to a better part of the lane that suited my style and bowling ball and clocked up 254 (personal best). Game three was 180 to give me exactly 600 for the series (my first 600 in league play). I was impressed by the consistency of the lane and the fact that if I hit my marks, I got good results. If I missed, the results were not so good but no real disasters either. It was easy to see when you made a bad shot and when you made a good one, you knew that as well.
As a side effect, for two days, there has been almost no machine breakdowns, ball jams, out-of-range pins or sliding pins (none during league play). This is the result of the lane machine working properly and the pattern not allowing a lot of oil to be carried down the lane and into the pit. The techs are now quite enthused!!
I am looking forward to bowling at any opportunity now, as this oil pattern is to used every day as the house and league pattern, so we can practice on what we are going to bowl on. Hope it keeps up.

Cheers to all,
Allan

#66786 - 09/17/08 09:24 AM Re: Weekend Leagues Get Ready!! [Re: Bikedad]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Sure helps having lane maintenance and oiling consistency. You did well, and congrats on the personal high. I am sure you will see improvement in yourself with more stable conditions.

Good luck.
Beer and Skittles, as a friendly poster used to say.

Dennis

Edited by Dennis Michael (09/17/08 09:25 AM)
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#66835 - 09/18/08 04:05 AM Re: Weekend Leagues Get Ready!! [Re: Dennis Michael]
Bikedad Offline
High Roller

Thanks Dennis, appreciate the congrats. I have been keeping up with your thread as well and hope that things go well for yourself in your quest to solve the troubles.

Good luck and good bowling to all,
Allan

#66836 - 09/18/08 06:12 AM Re: Weekend Leagues Get Ready!! [Re: Bikedad]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

Allan, it is really strange how I or an bowler for that matter, can go from rolling 992 for 4 games the final weeks of the Summer League, to shooting a 115 game. And, in that time, feel like I am totally uncoordinated doing it. I really feel it is something beyond my game that caused me to change, and do it so rapidly. The other thing is that this is happening at 1 House, and only 1 House. And, during this time, I have bowled at 3. It is causing trouble at the other places too, but not as severe.

I am convinced it is the shot in that House that caused me to change the way I do things. As others have said, I shouldn't change to a different shot. But, I did.

This House is known in our Association to have a tougher shot over most others, but, this is getting ridiculous. The current shot takes away the comfort level of many other bowlers, and it is not just me.

I canvassed the better bowlers in the league last night. I had time, cause I had to work late, and missed the first game, getting there in the 7th frame. So, I took that time to talk with the top bowlers from last year, to get their opinion/ here is what I get.

Last year's top bowler: A regular tournament bowler in the area is currently down 18 pins from last year.
Second high bowler: Down 22 pins, and says he is frustrated.
Third high bowler: Has already quit. But, cited other reasons.
Fourth high bowler: Bowls here in 2 leagues, and last night said this is his last year in this House.

The Asst. Mgr, PBA Card holder who bowls regionally. Carries a 222 PBA Average is at 202, and just tells others that they don't know how to bowl.
Another newer bowler, who is representative of the 2-finger and cranker types who have come into the league are liking the shot, and really don't see any difference.

The shot has hurt the Stroker types, the Tweener types, and the down and in bowlers the most. Most of these types don't have the revs, the hand and the movement on the ball to bring it back from the 3 board in the final 15 feet. There is heavy oil down the center that takes away the middle for most, and extremely dry back end corners that hook. Still don't know why the House won't tell us what the pattern is. It plays very similar to the Scorpion pattern, for those who are familiar with PBA shots.

I'll beat it yet.

#67009 - 09/21/08 05:24 AM Re: Weekend Leagues Get Ready!! [Re: Dennis Michael]
Bikedad Offline
High Roller

Wow Dennis... that lane condition sounds a lot like what we have been dealing with this season. I actually told the centre that if they wanted to destroy a bowler's confidence, all they had to do was put that pattern out! frown That is what it did to me, my team-mates and a lot of other bowlers... so much so, that many good bowlers have just given up and don't turn up to their leagues any more. Like you, when faced with something that we couldn't quite figure out, the first reaction was to think it was your game that was causing the problem and changed things to try to get the result desired. It caused a lot of problems and frustration. Our team worked hard on our own game to try to develop strong technique to fix up our deficiencies... this has been successful to a large degree. I'm not saying we are perfect by any means, but we dealt with the troubles better than most. Now that we have some decent lane conditions, that practice and training should pay dividends in our scores and improved averages (I hope). One of the biggest problems we had, when the lanes were really Sh***y, was that we didn't have bowling balls that suited the conditions. My plastic Optyx ball was one of the better choices, down 7 or 8 at pace to get to the pocket. I scored fairly well with this ball until an "out-of-bounds" developed and my shot was gone. This was caused by the lane machine and since it has been set up properly again, the edges of the lane are usable again.
I see, in your other thread, that you have gone to a much older, weaker ball to get around your troubles with some success. Yay! smile If you are scoring near the top of the heap in your league, then you are back in the game. Your average in that house may be lower than you would like but being at the upper end of scorers means you are dealing with it better than most. Congrats on finding your way again... I will keep checking for updates.

Cheers and good bowling to all,
Allan

#67362 - 09/25/08 04:24 AM Re: Weekend Leagues Get Ready!! [Re: Bikedad]
Bikedad Offline
High Roller

Another update:
We have been back to the alley a few times since the new pattern and approach conditions were introduced and I am delighted to report that they are maintaining the standard of both. The lanes play fairly consistently day to day, depending on how much traffic has been on the lanes but even after a hard day's use, they are still playable - huge improvement. The approaches are also quite consistent. I am enjoying my bowling again!
For league this week, my scores were 164,225 and 189 for 578 (192 average). Not quite as good as the previous week but I was happy with that. We have also bowled (pre-bowled) for the next two weeks to cover the time my partners are away at competitions. My scores went 175, 180 and 212 for 567 (189 av) and then 202, 178 and 163 for 543 (181 av). I didn't bowl all that well on the last series and the lanes offer no help, so I am not disappointed, other than in myself for failing to keep my form.
All in all, each series is well above my season average and I shouldn't be so down about the last series but once I started to score above 190, I liked the feeling and 181 felt like a "bad" series average smile
While the other two are away, I will go to league night and pace for a team who had one of their bowlers pull out a while back. Just to keep my hand in, so to speak.
Thats it for me, for now, so cherrs and good bowling to all.
Allan

#67367 - 09/25/08 07:37 AM Re: Weekend Leagues Get Ready!! [Re: Bikedad]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Allan since you are going to be off for a couple weeks, how about posting a video and see if we can help you work on your game?

#67462 - 09/26/08 02:06 AM Re: Weekend Leagues Get Ready!! [Re: CoachJim]
Bikedad Offline
High Roller

I will try to get something together for you CoachJim. I don't have a lot of footage since the new lane conditions came about but there is a little bit. How useful it will be remains to be seen.

Cheers,
Allan

#67474 - 09/26/08 08:14 AM Re: Weekend Leagues Get Ready!! [Re: Bikedad]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

Hi Allan. boy, If you read my stuff, I am having a heck of a time with this league. I only accepted the VP role because, the rule book says the VP does almost nothing. But, since we funneled all of the problems and complaints my way, I just can't seem to concentrate on myown game. Didn't expect the problems we are having.

I don't think I've had a game without 2 bowlers coming to me to [censored] about something. It is bothering myown teammates too, to the point that 2 of them have talked about quiting. This is going too far.

I will last out the league in this House, and pull the plug. I won't come back here again. It's a shame, since I restarted in this House, and have gotten to know many of the regulars there. It is a good group of people, but there are others that I just can't get along with. So, Pack my bags, and get read to move. Hasta la vista baby.

Page 61 of 63 < 1 2 ... 59 60 61 62 63 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by Mkirchie - 09/23/20 09:16 PM
Bowled a few games at South Point in Las Vegas
by goobee - 09/03/20 04:38 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.