BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 63 < 1 2 3 4 ... 62 63 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#6647 - 09/29/05 10:32 AM Re: Weekend Leagues Get Ready!!
Tyveil Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: Kansas
Hey it's almost Friday again... can't wait to attone for last weeks failure!! I didn't practice at all this week. Partly because now that I have a more aggressive ball, I think the dried out practice lanes may hurt my game more than anything.
15# Quantum (Forest Green) - Dry/Wood
15# White Dot - Spares

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#6648 - 09/29/05 10:42 AM Re: Weekend Leagues Get Ready!!
Chief Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 50/Male/Michigan
Do you have any other bowling balls beside this new aggressive one? If so then pick out a non aggressive ball even if it is plastic or urethane and practice everyting except score. You can develop consistency and muscle memory by multiple shots delivered with a drilled rock if it fit right. If you do not practice because this ball is condition specific you may become frustrated because your basic skills are not sufficiently honed. I have several bowling balls which are rarely if ever used in competition but are great for practice. Once you learn how a ball will react during competitive lane conditions you should be able to put it away until you encounter that condition. Use practice time for development of your game which includes stance,approach, timing and delivery. Once the ball leaves your hand you should have a good idea if it was a good shot no matter where the ball went in the end. Also practice hitting numerous spots on the lane without regard for the end result. Make hitting the spot the game, not pinfall. Good luck tomorrow.

#6649 - 09/30/05 11:42 PM Re: Weekend Leagues Get Ready!!
Mutilated1 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 36/Male/Pell City AL, Right Ha...
Wow tonight at league was weird. My team was up against the second place team and we won 1 lost 3. The first game I managed to put together four strikes in a row, but just could not make a spare to save my life still I managed a 151. The second game I didn't do good at all, I only scored 118 or something. The third game I finally got some spares happening and managed to get a turkey, but it wasn't enough, I ended with a 165.

But then, my wife and I decided to stay and play another game after league just for fun. She bowled her highest score ever ( 163 ) and I bowled my highest game ever ( 205 ). I left only one frame open, a 6-10 spare attempt where I centered the 6 and missed the 10, and turkeyed twice!

I would have like to stayed and played another couple of games, but that seemed like a good place to end the night so we quit.

#6650 - 10/14/05 04:28 PM Re: Weekend Leagues Get Ready!!
Tyveil Offline
Team USA Contender

Well it's friday again and I'm pumped up for league tonight. Last week was a rather strange affair. We were bowling against one of the 4 teams tied for 1st place (we're one of them). I bowled an even 500, not great but not bad for me (right around my average). 2 of my teammates bowled similiar to me, right at or above their averages. And the 4th teammate crushed his 145 average, nearly scoring a 600 (586). That was enough for us to win all 4 points (the last game I had to strike out for us to win and I did).

The thing is one of the guys on the other team is known for his temper. When I was putting my equipment away he was beside me muttering all kinds of curses, pretty much accusing us of sandbagging. I called him out on it and we nearly ended up coming to blows. To make a long story short, cooler heads prevailed (mainly because a teammate of mine stepped in). It should be a very interesting season.
15# White Dot - Spares

#6651 - 10/14/05 06:03 PM Re: Weekend Leagues Get Ready!!
Bikedad Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 57/male/New Zealand. Right han...
I thought that I was the only one that got a bit excited when league night came around.. it seems not. Sounds like you guys are having some fun in the early stages of your leagues, I always have a pretty uneven start to the season, sometimes scoring well, others are miserable but then it steadies down and improvement (for me) is the name of the game. Tyveil, if three of your team bowled about your averages and the fourth had a real blinder then I think your team is working well together. My team (three person) is not one of the high scoring outfits in the league but we can each have a good night and it is rare for all three to fall below our averages. Somebody always steps up if the others are having a tough night. It sounds like your opposition was not bowling well as a team and got blown away by your fourth member. It happens. I have been on both ends of it. As for Sandbagging.. well, I believe it would take a very skillful bowler to be able to manage his/her scores to the extent that it would be a successful ruse and I believe that the practice is very rare. I figure that someone who thinks that you are Sandbagging must also think that you are a much better bowler than your performances would indicate. Maybe he just paid you a compliment?
Meantime, I'm hangin out for practice on Sunday and league on Tuesday. Good luck to you all.

#6652 - 10/14/05 10:59 PM Re: Weekend Leagues Get Ready!!
Mutilated1 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 36/Male/Pell City AL, Right Ha...
At league tonight my team won four games. No thanks to me though, I bowled below average two games and barely average the third ( 133, 133, 145 ). Stupid Game!

My wife did great though, and bowled well above her average, and the rest of our team did well too.

In the warmup I bowled three strikes in a row on the left lane, but on the right then line seemed different and then when the league started I just couldn't manage to adjust and string them together tonight, I was always leaving strange splits and when I did strike or spare I somehow couldn't capitalize on it. Very frustrating, but at least the team won four games.

Also on the good side, we won all the side bets and jackpots covered the league dues and bar tab so that was a plus.

I also decided that from now on when I go to practice, I'm going to practice on two lanes and switch bowl like at league. My ADD kicks in too much for me to remember where I was standing and adjust right on two lanes, so it leaves me guessing where the good line is.

#6653 - 10/17/05 02:15 PM Re: Weekend Leagues Get Ready!!
Tyveil Offline
Team USA Contender

Congrats on winning the 4 points, despite a not-so-great night. I wasn't so lucky. The oil machine at our house broke down so it could lay down oil still but not strip it. So the lanes were extremely oily all the way through the pins. My team did horrible, although I did scrape by with a 140 average (still 20 pins under my average), my wife averaged 97 and the rest of the team didn't do much better. The team we were bowling happened to be the last place team with the highest handicap. Since they all bowled straight-balls the lane conditions didn't mean much. They took all 4 points.

The next day my other league team decided they wanted to make up some weeks we had missed (we were 4 weeks behind). I warned them about the broken oil machine but they wanted to bowl anyways. Well, I guess I finally was able to adjust because over 12 games (all 4 weeks!) I averaged a 175. It would have been even higher but the last series I was getting tired and bowled a 140's average. I bowled 4 games over 200 (my first 200's in this league) and got a 5-bagger twice! Just goes to show you any conditions can be overcome.
15# White Dot - Spares

#6654 - 10/18/05 05:57 AM Re: Weekend Leagues Get Ready!!
Bikedad Offline
High Roller

Well done to both of you. I just came back from league and 0-11 point hiding! Could not get a grip on the lanes at all and anytime I got near the pocket it was split or 10 pin. I didn't convert much tonite! I had someone look over my action and release after the match was over... simple problem.. my release was slightly off. It took him 10 seconds to spot it!! Bother! (or words to that effect) and I went and bowled a series of strikes right away.. oh well.. next week. Oh.. 7 under average for the night and highest total pinfall for my team... the others weren't enjoying the night much either!

#6655 - 10/25/05 10:43 AM Re: Weekend Leagues Get Ready!!
Tyveil Offline
Team USA Contender

Well, turns out my high scoring on tough conditions didn't help. Because the rest of my team struggled so bad, we went 1-15 over the 4 week makeup!! I thought the league scorer hadn't added in the makeup weeks into the machine yet but I checked with him last night and sure enough, he did. That puts us in last place, but the good news is we've gone 7-1 over the last 2 weeks (really killed the other team 4-0 last night) and have plenty of weeks to catch up.
15# White Dot - Spares

#6656 - 10/26/05 03:09 AM Re: Weekend Leagues Get Ready!!
Bikedad Offline
High Roller

Cool. I guess some weeks are just not gonna be yours, but the rest are! My team fared much better last night and we took 10 of the 11 available points. Personally, I bowled my highest series (597) and blew the 600 in the third game with an inexplicable gutter ball going for 3-6-10 leave. Those are bread and butter to me.. I was a tad annoyed with myself! Never mind, it was good to get back on the right end of the scoresheet! Good luck to you for your next round.

Page 2 of 63 < 1 2 3 4 ... 62 63 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by Mkirchie - 09/23/20 09:16 PM
Bowled a few games at South Point in Las Vegas
by goobee - 09/03/20 04:38 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.