BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#70488 - 11/11/08 01:45 PM Re: Wood or Synthetic????????? [Re: CoachJim]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
Hey, in antarctica, you take what you can get. Wonder if they have to use a different viscosity oil for the lanes.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#70490 - 11/11/08 02:05 PM Re: Wood or Synthetic????????? [Re: cgeorg]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
I think you could play 4th arrow with a white dot there.

#70491 - 11/11/08 02:05 PM Re: Wood or Synthetic????????? [Re: CoachJim]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: m/ Michigan
Have any of you seen that show "Ghost Hunters" on the Sci-Fi channel? It looks like there is a bowler on that right lane, right at the arrows on the left side of the lane, in the form of an "orb". Whoooo,...sorry,.. I just find all that stuff fascinating, and they always point those things out on the show.

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#70492 - 11/11/08 02:06 PM Re: Wood or Synthetic????????? [Re: Tim Gerard]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: m/ Michigan
Or it just could be dust...LOL.

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#70493 - 11/11/08 02:10 PM Re: Wood or Synthetic????????? [Re: Tim Gerard]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
I'm going to guess someone didn't use a coaster and mom is going to yell at them.

When do you guys think those lanes were oiled last?

Manager: "first you tell me the lanes need to be resurfaced and now you say they need oil"

#70497 - 11/11/08 02:52 PM Re: Wood or Synthetic????????? [Re: CoachJim]
tonyj Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 42/m/phila
OK I prefer wood myself. I feel on wood the transition from oil to dry is more milder and I can get away with a little more misses. I have mostly bowled on wood all my life. Here are 2 not so worn wooden lanes and I actually hand oil the Harmonia Lanes . 2 lane wooden houses
15 Lane #1 Buzzsaw Supernova XP 2000 Abralon
16 lb ebonite Raid
16 lb Complete NV
16 lb Natural (just puchaced for my new winter league on wood lanes)

#70499 - 11/11/08 05:48 PM Re: Wood or Synthetic????????? [Re: tonyj]
leftykev Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: Spokane, WA
I learned to bowl on wood lanes during the 80's and 90's, using plastic balls during the 80's and urethene during the 90's.

The rare times i bowled on synthetic lanes, I ended up struggling because I was so used to playing deeper right, and was too inexperienced to adjust to the tighter lines synthetic lanes offered back then.

My 10 year absence was the best thing that happened to my game, since I got to relearn bowling on the much heavier oiled synthetic lanes of today, in conjunction with the bowling balls of today, sure make bowling easier.

This past summer, I bowled state tournament at a Synthetic house and a wood house. The lanes had similar dry shots, forcing me to play a roll-out shot to the pocket. I had an easier time getting the ball to transition on the wood lanes.

Edited by leftykev (11/11/08 05:49 PM)

#70526 - 11/12/08 10:20 AM Re: Wood or Synthetic????????? [Re: leftykev]
EddieK Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 52/M/USA
i'll bowl on anything, but given a choice, i'll take wood lanes any day of the week. throw 'light oil' into the deal and i'll pull the plastic or hard rubber out of the bag and be a happy camper. this is bowling as it should be, imo.

i can adjust to synthetic lanes, but i HATE HATE HATE aynthetic approaches. they should be banned for reasons of safety, imo

im so old, it was LACQUER on wood when i started! the "new" plastic balls were hook monsters then... believe it!

#70530 - 11/12/08 11:05 AM Re: Wood or Synthetic????????? [Re: EddieK]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Eddie, you are right. Lacquer on wood was the standard back then. But, lanes were so poorly maintained and costly to do so, I can see the reason for synthetic.

Yet, there is no replacement for the original.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#70543 - 11/12/08 06:39 PM Re: Wood or Synthetic????????? [Re: Dennis Michael]
SilentTuba Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 25/M/NJ
Well, since the antarctica link is from a Rutgers website (my alma mater), I did a quick search to find this:

These are the Lorree Hall bowling lanes on the Cook/Douglass campus of Rutgers University. Despite the fact that I lived on the Cook campus for 4 years, and had several classes in Lorree Hall, I never actually went bowling there, although I do know people who have. It's one of the few things I regret from my college days.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 03:09 PM
Trying to keep my throw straight
by Dennis Michael - 11/14/18 11:23 AM
Ebonite Day at my Proshop
by Dennis Michael - 11/07/18 01:11 PM
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Dennis Michael - 11/03/18 10:05 AM
Gouges and scratches on bowling ball
by Dennis Michael - 10/31/18 11:54 AM
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by djp1080 - 10/22/18 10:42 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.