BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#66018 - 09/08/08 05:20 PM Playing with video Shutter Speed
ijohn83 Offline
4x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 54/male/Palmdale, California U...
I was practicing today and thought I would play with the Video shutter speed. As far as I can tell faster shutters only make the picture darker, does not slow motion down on play back.

I feel like I am bowling better and my scores are up, but when I watch my Video play back I don't think there is much improvement. I feel like I am "inside" the ball leading with ring/pinky finger and under the ball. Looking at the Video and I'm not under or inside! Waiting for the light bulb moment - even if it’s only 15 watts!

~ John

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#66022 - 09/08/08 05:40 PM Re: Playing with video Shutter Speed [Re: ijohn83]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
Changing to a faster shutter speed takes the same number of frames per second, but you will get crisper shots each frame. It is helpful when stepping through video, or when slowing it down. You should see a difference if you play it through at 1/4 or 1/8 speed. If you can change to a higher fps recording mode, that is good as well. With these, you want to try to get the light settings (ISO, F stop) to let in as much light as possible, especially because bowling places (at least around here) tend to be under-lit.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#66025 - 09/08/08 05:44 PM Re: Playing with video Shutter Speed [Re: ijohn83]
Brian Pickell Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 39/M/Fort Wayne, IN
Shutter speed has nothing to do with frame rate. An increased shutter speed is good to keep high speed objects from from blurring. What you want in or to be able to do slow motion is a high speed camera that allows for 100 + frames per second.

edit: cgeorge beat me to it.

Edited by Brian Pickell (09/08/08 05:45 PM)

14LB Black Widow Solid
14LB Brunswick T-Zone
14LB Ebonite NVD
15LB Emerald Vibe

#66053 - 09/09/08 08:57 AM Re: Playing with video Shutter Speed [Re: Brian Pickell]
ijohn83 Offline

So I guess my question should be: Does my Sony DCR-TRV900 Camcorder have a 100+ frames per second feature?

Or can/would howiegroove pick one of my releases and show it to me super slow-mo?

Another not so smart question is: When I take my Camcorder to the computer to upload a Video, I get to the part where the program asks me to drag & drop to the story board. (Windows XP)
I pull only the shots to the story board I want to post and save it. But when I go to attach the file, the only file that will work is the entire Video file I put on the computer (not just the story board shots).
If someone would lead me in the correct direction everyone could be spared 8 min. of bowling shots from me every time I post.

Thanks and double thanks in advance,

~ John

#66054 - 09/09/08 09:09 AM Re: Playing with video Shutter Speed [Re: ijohn83]
cgeorg Offline

It looks like your camera does not support shooting at >30fps. Some digital cams will do that, but according to the article I read, you need a lot of $$ before a tape camcorder will do that sort of thing.

That said, it looks like if you zoom all the way out, set the f-stop as low as possible (1.8? 1.6?) and possible add +6 to +12 dB gain, you should be able to take good fast-shutter-speed video.

When you plug it in, save the whole movie to your computer, then open up Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Entertainment? -> Windows Movie Maker. Drag the video into that, then drag it down to the the timeline below. You can cut between shots with Ctrl+L, or maybe Ctrl+K, and then drag the edges of the resulting clip to remove excess on each side. You can also drag transitions (cuts or simple fades preferred, by me at least), and add effects, such as slow-motion. You can also add multiple effects to a single clip, so you could add 4 slow-motion effects for a total of 1/16 speed playback. If you want to add the same effect to several clips, I'd recommend adding it to them before you slice them up.

That's your 3 minute WMM crash course smile

#66055 - 09/09/08 09:12 AM Re: Playing with video Shutter Speed [Re: cgeorg]
cgeorg Offline

Oh, when you're done, you have to go to file -> Save Movie.. (or something similar) If it's just going to youtube, one of the 320x240 options is fine - if you're keeping it for yourself, and the source video is higher resolution, I'd save it with the highest quality you can. Youtube recently lifted the limits on upload file size, so you can upload big movies now (though I think the 10 minute limit is still there)

#66057 - 09/09/08 09:20 AM Re: Playing with video Shutter Speed [Re: cgeorg]
cgeorg Offline

The manual is online here:

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/DCRTRV900.pdf

manual stuff starts at page 44. Shutter speed should probably be at least 1/100, 1/200 if you can. First light-gaining adjustment would be f-stop. Then gain.

It looks like you also have some AE modes that could be useful.

page 54:
Shutter speed priority or Sport lesson mode would probably be good. Again, in these (and any) modes, you will be able to get more light if you are zoomed all the way out.

#66059 - 09/09/08 09:29 AM Re: Playing with video Shutter Speed [Re: cgeorg]
cgeorg Offline

More post count padding:

If you are doing lots of manual stuff, you may not want to rely on the auto-focus. Set something easily focusable at the foul line, and manually focus on that object. Setting your ball there could work - it's what I use when I need to MF a shot.

#66061 - 09/09/08 09:59 AM Re: Playing with video Shutter Speed [Re: ijohn83]
howiegroove Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 28/M/Orlando, FL
Originally Posted By: ijohn83
Or can/would howiegroove pick one of my releases and show it to me super slow-mo?

Send me the video and I will be more than happy to do a super slo mo for you. Just tell me how slow you want it(ie. 1/5 speed, 1/4 speed, 1/10 speed.)

15# Ebonite NVD
15# Hammer Hot Sauce
15# Track Uprising
15# Track Kinetic Pearl
15# Hammer Emerald Vibe
15# Roto-Grip Clear (spares)

VISE IT System

#66106 - 09/09/08 07:22 PM Re: Playing with video Shutter Speed [Re: howiegroove]
ijohn83 Offline

Thanks Cgeorg. The file -> Save movie was what I was missing. I was using the regular save & saving the whole down load over & over.

Howiegroove thanks. I'll try to send you the clip. The speed you did on the super slow-mo post was great.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plastic or Urethane?
by LindaDelcamp - 11/12/19 03:19 PM
Good morning everyone...
by Mkirchie - 11/10/19 09:52 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.