BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#66385 - 09/11/08 10:10 PM Re: Playing with video Shutter Speed [Re: Lefty]
howiegroove Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 28/M/Orlando, FL
Hey John, you need to do whatever you do to make it so that there is more light on your camera. Its hard to see when its dark.

15# Ebonite NVD
15# Hammer Hot Sauce
15# Track Uprising
15# Track Kinetic Pearl
15# Hammer Emerald Vibe
15# Roto-Grip Clear (spares)

VISE IT System

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#66386 - 09/11/08 11:23 PM Re: Playing with video Shutter Speed [Re: howiegroove]
ijohn83 Offline
4x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 54/male/Palmdale, California U...
Thanks for pointing that out Lefty. I guess it is possible for me. I will try again Saturday. Sure wish I could afford a good coach real time while practicing. Thanks all for the patient instruction - I'm really not that much of an idiot.

howiegroove - My shutter was on manual at 1000. I'll back it off some to brighten up the picture. I'm I gaining anything with the faster shutter, or should I just put it back to 30?

#66387 - 09/11/08 11:29 PM Re: Playing with video Shutter Speed [Re: ijohn83]
howiegroove Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 28/M/Orlando, FL
put it back to the original spot. Shutter speed is strictly for pictures and not movies. You use a faster shutter speed for when you are taking pictures with moving objects so an individual picture doesnt blur. In this case, the picture is a continuous movie and shutter speed doesnt play a factor.

15# Ebonite NVD
15# Hammer Hot Sauce
15# Track Uprising
15# Track Kinetic Pearl
15# Hammer Emerald Vibe
15# Roto-Grip Clear (spares)

VISE IT System

#66406 - 09/12/08 09:08 AM Re: Playing with video Shutter Speed [Re: howiegroove]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
Shutter speed does still play a factor. You may not need 1/1000 - try 1/500. Even though it is a movie, if you are trying to slow down a release, it happens so fast that you really do need a quick shutter speed if you want to see individual hand positions.

ijohn: Try using that Sport lesson review mode. Somewhere around page 54 here: http://www.docs.sony.com/release/DCRTRV900.pdf

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#66408 - 09/12/08 09:25 AM Re: Playing with video Shutter Speed [Re: cgeorg]
ijohn83 Offline

Morning cgeorg,

I think that setting has a picture of a golf swing, but does not have shutter speed. Saturday I'll try it.

~ john

#66409 - 09/12/08 09:26 AM Re: Playing with video Shutter Speed [Re: cgeorg]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
1/500 should be OK. As a general rule of thumb for sport photography, you want 1/400 or higher to stop action. If you go lower than that, your frames will be more blurred.

#66415 - 09/12/08 10:05 AM Re: Playing with video Shutter Speed [Re: Lefty]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
ijohn, that setting should tell the camera to take faster shutter-speed shots, and it should handle getting enough light (as long as there is enough available). It's basically just giving the camera a hint that you want crisper footage.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#66523 - 09/13/08 06:24 PM Re: Playing with video Shutter Speed [Re: cgeorg]
ijohn83 Offline

Well after looking at today’s Video (Saturday) I'm not going to waste anyone’s time to post them. I am still not inside the ball.

Next time out I think I am going to throw a few "back up" balls just to look at my hand position. It does look like my trail leg is coming into play more often than not since doing that one step drill.

~John

P.S. It looks like 1/500 shutter speed is going to be good.

#66530 - 09/13/08 07:59 PM Re: Playing with video Shutter Speed [Re: ijohn83]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
Honestly, Move your arm exactly like you did for those practice swings. The reason you go around is because you're using your arm muscles to try and pull the ball through. You can throw very good shots without ever using your arm muscles, just like you do in your parctice swing.

When you set up, put the weight of the ball in your off hand (your left). Now make sure that your hand, arm and shoulder are completely relaxed. Now move the ball with your left hand and left it fall into the swing. Now make sure you keep your arm hand and shoulder completely relaxed. It will feel weird, but do not engage these muscles at all. You will more than likely gain ball speed and ball reaction, but you have to keep your arm completely relaxed and not use your arm muscles.

#66535 - 09/13/08 09:42 PM Re: Playing with video Shutter Speed [Re: ijohn83]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Quote:
Next time out I think I am going to throw a few "back up" balls just to look at my hand position. It does look like my trail leg is coming into play more often than not since doing that one step drill.

John, just make sure that you are keeping your hand to the inside of the ball and not in the handshake position to throw that back up ball. The point of the drill is not to actually throw a back up ball, but to keep your hand to the inside of the ball through to the release. Like Lefty said just throw it like you do in your practice swing. You turn it when you are letting the ball go because your brain is telling your wrist and hand to do something to the ball to make it hook, STOP TRYING TO HOOK THE BALL. Trying to hook the ball is killing your game and killing the hook as well.

Next time you shoot a video, I would like to see you hold the ball until your left foot starts on your third step instead of starting the ball with your second step with the right foot. You don't have a big huge push away which is good, so you can start the ball a step later and this should help get your right hip out of the way on the back swing and help you get in a release position before the ball passes your right hip on the release.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plastic or Urethane?
by LindaDelcamp - 11/12/19 03:19 PM
Good morning everyone...
by Mkirchie - 11/10/19 09:52 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.