BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#66109 - 09/09/08 07:53 PM Re: Playing with video Shutter Speed [Re: ijohn83]
ijohn83 Offline
4x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 54/male/Palmdale, California U...
Hi Howiegroove,

Here is the clip I would like slowed down.

Do I need your email to get it to you or can you pick it off Google Video?

My email is [email protected]

~ John

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#66236 - 09/10/08 06:42 PM Re: Playing with video Shutter Speed [Re: ijohn83]
ijohn83 Offline

bump

#66242 - 09/10/08 08:39 PM Re: Playing with video Shutter Speed [Re: ijohn83]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
Without slowing the video down, you can still see how early you're turning the ball.

The first image shows your hand on the side of the ball when you're about half way through your down swing. The second image shows that your hand is on top of the ball and around the side of it as you're approaching the release point. Your want your fingers closer to where I placed the two yellow dots.

Attachments
ijohn.JPG

ijohn2.JPG

#66245 - 09/10/08 09:12 PM Re: Playing with video Shutter Speed [Re: Lefty]
howiegroove Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 28/M/Orlando, FL
I am going to slow it down for you in a few minutes. I will have it tonight for you john.

15# Ebonite NVD
15# Hammer Hot Sauce
15# Track Uprising
15# Track Kinetic Pearl
15# Hammer Emerald Vibe
15# Roto-Grip Clear (spares)

VISE IT System

#66247 - 09/10/08 09:25 PM Re: Playing with video Shutter Speed [Re: ijohn83]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
I'm not very camera savvy but I might be able to help a little with the bowling issues.

It looks like your are turnign the ball early for one. It looks like you are having timing issues. It looks like you are getting to the line before the ball. One thing that definatly rears its ugly head is the lack of use of your trail leg. You need to get it out of the way it's affecting your timing and shot. It will also allow you to balance, sprouse up your timing and get a bit deeper knee bend. And if you don't think it's important, sit down in a computer chair with your ball in your hand and swing it. This should show you how important your trail leg is. It looks like you are also trying to use your balance arm but you really aren't. Do you like that the only action required to throw a bowling ball weel takes place on one side?

Lastly, it looks like you muscling your swing. I'm basing that off of your relatively slow steps and the fact that you are pulling the bowl down in your pushaway and you're stopping it on the backswing.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#66254 - 09/10/08 10:15 PM Re: Playing with video Shutter Speed [Re: ijohn83]
howiegroove Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 28/M/Orlando, FL
Hey John,

Here is the Super Slowmo video I promised. It has been slowed down to 1/4 speed. If you want it any slower let me know. Hope this helps and all the best.

15# Ebonite NVD
15# Hammer Hot Sauce
15# Track Uprising
15# Track Kinetic Pearl
15# Hammer Emerald Vibe
15# Roto-Grip Clear (spares)

VISE IT System

#66262 - 09/10/08 10:47 PM Re: Playing with video Shutter Speed [Re: howiegroove]
spr3wr Offline
USBC Bronze Level Coach

A/S/L: 54/m/MICHIGAN
john,
i agree with the slide leg getting out of the way. But, the ball is getting to the foul line before you finish your slide.
It looks like your back swing could be higher ,getting your backswing higher will delay when the ball get to the release point and you should be able to get your trail leg out of the way.
read this http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/tip33.htm

4.) Cutting off the backswing: A lot of bowlers unknowingly cut off their backswings. This means that they stop the ball from reaching its full height in the backswing. Bowlers subconsciously think they have to “throw” the ball. They get in a hurry and cut off the backswing in order to “throw” it forward. It is far better to allow the ball to reach its full height in the backswing and allow gravity to turn it around and pull it back down toward the earth and the lane.

A good way to test to see if your backswing can go higher ,or if it needs to, is to have a friend stand beside you as you bowl and note how high your backswing goes. If your backswing does not go at least as high as your head, try to raise it. Standing still doing test swings have your friend hold his hand palm side down about 1 foot higher than your normal backswing height and see if you can “will” the ball to go up and hit the hand. Most people can raise their backswings using this method with no additional effort on their part. If you apply numbers 1-3 to your armswing, the task will become even easier. Once you can hit your friend’s hand when you are standing still, have him walk along beside you as you bowl and hit his hand again. It may seem like it takes forever for that ball to go up there and hit that hand, but this is just because you are used to stopping the ball short and forcing it.

High series 810
Current ave. 213

#66282 - 09/11/08 02:07 AM Re: Playing with video Shutter Speed [Re: spr3wr]
ijohn83 Offline

Awesome on the slow-motion Video! Thanks again! It continues to amaze me the difference of what I am actually doing compared to what I think I am doing.

1) Under & inside has been my mantra - but I am neither.

2) Don't muscle my swing or turn early.

3) Early timing bad.

4) Use my balance arm & trail leg.

(At least sliding to my target seems to have stuck.)

I am far from having game yet, but my scores are up and I am not up against any walls of ever increasing accuracy for improvement.

I am still having great fun.

Thanks to all,

~ John

Edited by ijohn83 (09/11/08 02:08 AM)

#66375 - 09/11/08 07:58 PM Re: Playing with video Shutter Speed [Re: ijohn83]
ijohn83 Offline

Today&#8217;s (09-11-08) practice with one step drill.

1) That one step drill sure shows how controlled my swing is.
Should I just keep on doing the drill to loosen up my swing? 2) It also shows how early I turn my wrist.
3) Balance & trail leg seem to be a little better.
4) Keeping inside & under the ball seems to be real hard for me.
I almost need to review the tape after each shot to convince my brain I am not inside the ball.

~ John

#66380 - 09/11/08 08:35 PM Re: Playing with video Shutter Speed [Re: ijohn83]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
What makes staying behind the ball hard is when you try and force your arm through the ball. Look at your practice swing. Where was your hand? Right behind the ball. You need to do exactly that when you throw the ball. Really... nothing different at all. You're not supposed to pull the ball through.

Just execute that practice swing, take your step and let the ball come off your hand. You really don't have to do anything else.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plastic or Urethane?
by LindaDelcamp - 11/12/19 03:19 PM
Good morning everyone...
by Mkirchie - 11/10/19 09:52 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.