BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#6600 - 09/07/05 07:46 PM What is your opinnion on USBC new rule?
ron shields Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 49/male/central washington
Over the last decade or so, scores have skyrocketed. I believe this paerially duw ro the fact there is alot more information, teaching and coaching. The most influencing factor is ball technology and the science of rolling a cannon ball at 10 innocent sticks.

Enter USBC: Howdy folks! There is a sheriff in town and I plan on returning inyegrity to bowling. I want a 210 average ro mean something. From now on I am going regulate how you make bullets and more importantly how much gun powder you use.

While I concede that technology has increased leaps and bounds., I feel restricting innovation will bring down the sport. When TigerWoods was eating up the golf courses a few years ago, there were courses out there making the playing field harder. This improved golf. Why is the USBC not changing and regulating the lane conditions? There are shots out there that as long as you hit somewhere within a 6" radius the ball will find its way to the pocket. I believe this is the true enemy of bowling score integrity.

I would love to hear other peoples opinion on USBC new rules for bowling balls. CG must be within 1" of dead center grip and no balance holes.

http://www.bowlspot.com/share/3Qq6q788

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#6601 - 09/08/05 03:21 AM Re: What is your opinnion on USBC new rule?
Flamenco Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 21/m/Singapore
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA"> When TigerWoods was eating up the golf courses a few years ago, there were courses out there making the playing field harder. This improved golf. Why is the USBC not changing and regulating the lane conditions? </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Its more difficult and costly to regulate lane conditions all over the US on a constant basis. So obviously they took the easy(read: less costly) road which meant to pass new regulations on ball manufacturers.
yes ball technology has advanced and improved over the years, but so has training techniques; is the USBC someday going to ban a certain technique because it gives too high a score? It's ridiculous.

#6602 - 09/08/05 04:26 AM Re: What is your opinnion on USBC new rule?
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
The only USBC proposal on the list to pass was the logo issue and the hardness issue.

Bowling like most sports is not a static thing. It changes with the times and gathering of knowledge that helps people learn the fundamentals faster and faster. Add to that high technology equipment and environments and you have a fast moving sport. You cannot stop progress, you can only try to adapt to it.

Erin

#6603 - 09/08/05 08:56 AM Re: What is your opinnion on USBC new rule?
Flamenco Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 21/m/Singapore
I don't like the logo issue. Why would I want to pay more for the USBC logo to be engraved when I don't even live in the US?

#6604 - 09/08/05 07:33 PM Re: What is your opinnion on USBC new rule?
ron shields Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 49/male/central washington
Here is the rule changes I am talking about: Talk to me.

USBC issues decisions concerning equipment revisions

7/28/2005

After gathering feedback from a variety of industry groups, leaders and grass roots membership, the United States Bowling Congress will move forward with two bowling ball specification proposals and re-evaluate two others.

In making the decisions at its July 23 meeting, the USBC Equipment Specifications Committee determined to initiate a more comprehensive study of all bowling ball specifications. As the newly organized USBC moves ahead as the sport's national governing body, its pledge is to study all System of Bowling components to ensure that skill is the primary factor for success in the sport.

The committee voted to move forward with the following proposals:
Mohs' hardness specification - USBC has created a new Mohs' hardness specification of 6.0 for particles in the cover stock of a bowling ball. Bowling ball manufacturers will have 90 days to review and comment on a USBC test procedure. Assuming there are no specific issues with the test procedure, implementation will begin no earlier than Jan. 1, 2006. The intent of this specification is to limit the amount of traction a bowling ball is capable of achieving and to protect the lane surface.
USBC approval logo on bowling balls - Rather than a designed logo, all approved bowling balls manufactured and submitted for approval after March 1, 2006, will be required to have the acronym "USBC" and star outline as part of the serial number area. Click here to view a sample of the logo. All previously-approved equipment without the USBC stamp may continue to be used in USBC-certified competition.
The committee voted not to move forward with the following proposals:
Eliminating all balance holes in all balls manufactured/drilled after Jan. 1, 2006.
Requiring all balls drilled after Jan. 1, 2006 to have the center of gravity (CG) mark to be within one inch of the center of grip.
"The proposals dealing with eliminating balance holes and center of gravity/center of grip were not advanced because we believe that they would have a very limited effect and not fully address the scope of technological changes the USBC wants to pursue," said USBC Technical Director Neil Stremmel.

In place of these proposals, the committee has directed Stremmel's Specifications and Certification team to develop, with industry input and cooperation, a study of existing bowling ball specifications and recommendations for changes at the design stage (including core designs and cover stocks). Testing methods for dynamic performance specifications - such as the amount that a ball can hook and entry angles achieved through friction - also will be investigated with industry support.

The committee took into consideration input gathered during an open comment period, the Industry Forum in June that included representatives from bowling ball manufacturers and other industry leaders and Specifications and Certifications staff research and recommendations.

"There was a tremendous response to these proposals," said USBC Equipment Specifications Committee Chairperson Linda Scott. "USBC is appreciative of the industry input and has taken those comments to heart in the decision-making process."

As bowling's national governing body, USBC is required to maintain the sport's credibility through the development and enforcement of specifications. To fulfill this mission, USBC will continue its ongoing review of the "System of Bowling" - which includes lane surfaces, lane conditions, bowling balls and pins - and develop any new specifications that may be needed.

Among the goals of the USBC's efforts to reset the parameters of the game will be to:
Grow the sport through the respect that a credible playing field provides.
Enhance the "risk vs. reward" element to bowling.
Better define the stars of the game.
Develop a renewed level of pride in accomplishment.
Improve the perception of bowling as a sport.
Place a higher value on coaching and practice for success.
Ensure that technology does not progress to overwhelm player skill as the key ingredient for success.
USBC Specifications and Certification The USBC Specifications and Certification testing facility, opened in 1977, is an eight-lane center in a climate-controlled building where team members regulate and standardize bowling equipment by concentrating on pin and product testing, research work, bowling center certifications and lane dressing inspections. The staff provides lane-conditioning support for a variety of tournaments and Sport Bowling events. The Specifications and Certification team consists of engineers, technicians and support staff.

Since the mid-1980s, Specifications and Certification has been the only facility recognized to approve products for international competition such as the World Tenpin Bowling Association and the Federation Internationale des Quilleurs.

Can be found at http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=10771&f=1

http://www.bowlspot.com/share/3Qq6q788

#6605 - 09/09/05 08:42 AM Re: What is your opinnion on USBC new rule?
lou Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 51/m/long island ny
How can USBC take itself and bowling seriously and maintain bowlings credibility
when they have a rule like this?

Rule 8. When a dead ball is called, the delivery does not count and the correct pins must be respotted.
The player is allowed to rebowl that delivery.
A ball shall be declared dead if any of the following occur:

e. A player is interfered with by the pinsetter, another player, spectator, or moving object as the ball is
being delivered and before delivery is completed. In such case, the player has the option to accept the
resulting pinfall or have a dead ball called.

This rule is so vague that a player could call dead ball on every delivery and get to keep the pinfall if he gets a strike or do over if he doesn't.

#6606 - 09/15/05 11:48 AM Re: What is your opinnion on USBC new rule?
ExBronxiteBowler Offline
PBA Senior Bowler

A/S/L: M 66 Staten Island, NY
Interfered with implies that something physically interfered with the delivery, such as a bowling on a adjoining lane walking into you as you throw the ball, or someone throwing and striking you with any object as you throw the ball., or a pin boy throwing and hitting you with a pin... that has happened in days of old when pin boys set pins and not machines... or a spectator throws and hits a bowler with an object while the bowler is in the act of throwing the ball....

Its not vague at all.

#6607 - 11/10/05 03:59 PM Re: What is your opinnion on USBC new rule?
MADDOG Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 33/MALE/VA.
Well for those of you that bowled in the late 80's im sure you had wood houses for the most part. Wood lanes are almost gone now but we still have a couple here. When I left the sport in the late 80's early 90's the new urethane lanes was just coming to town. In fact a new AMF house opened in town and caused my old wood lane alley to shut thier doors for good. I ended up leaving the sport because (1) I was getting burned out and (2) I would have to bowl at the new AMF house that looked more like a play ground for teenagers then a bowling alley. When I left the sport the high average was only 207 and it meant something to carry that average. 700 was hard to shoot and 800 was **** near impossible. The high score board took all year to fill up and the 300 scores over the lanes didnt get changed every week.
After I came back to bowling after 8 years I found out that things have changed a lot. Equipment for one because when I quit I had just baught a black cobra and the puple beast and these balls would hook off the lanes....lol...When I pulled them out the back after 8 years these balls wouldnt move 5 boards. I could see right away I needed a better ball. **** I was lost all together and didnt know where to start looking. Today we have so many **** balls to chose from and its taken me the last 6 years to finally find a line of balls that fit me. The only reason this has happened is because they did change the lanes and the lane conditions and that left it up to the ball makers to change with them. Mark my words as much as bowling has changed over the years it will still keep changing. 200 average is nothing these days when you have guys shooting 230-240 in league but wont go pro because they're house s*******. I say if they change it...good for them because they bring another challenge for us bowlers to meet. I'm a 200+ bowlers and im looking forward to it!

#6608 - 07/12/06 01:57 PM Re: What is your opinnion on USBC new rule?
lou Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 51/m/long island ny
You said it yourself exbronxitebowler the word
implies is vague in itself. There should be no implication, the rule should be specific.

btw I also am and exbronxite now living in long island. Originally from arthur ave.

#6609 - 07/12/06 08:47 PM Re: What is your opinnion on USBC new rule?
lorok Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 30/male/albuquerque
I don't think the balls would be the problem if the lanes weren't so easy. I also don't think that the balls are made, specifically, to take advantage today's soft lane conditions. A high tech ball thrown on a sport shot may carry better than some older/lesser equipment. But, given that would occur on a shot that demands accuracy, it's more of a reward than a crutch. An errant shot with a high tech ball won't do what it does on a house shot. It's obviously the lanes. I don't see how the U.S.B.C. can't accept this. Take away the easy conditions, leave the ball companys alone, and let the good bowlers take advantage of today's technology and let the lesser bowlers learn how to bowl properly. So what if it's harder to keep up with lanes and monitoring them? They complain about integrity, yet show none themselves. This is something they should take upon themselves to resore credibility to the sport, and the U.S.B.C. as an organization. In my eyes, they are already a failure. Chasing down ball manufactures, accepting otherworldly scores shot without witnesses. They need to step up and ACT as a governing body, rather than ineffectual, spineless finger-pointers. But that's just me, and I'm a noob.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Belmo and the 2020 US Open
by champ - Yesterday at 02:22 PM
This is a damned shame
by champ - 02/24/20 06:12 PM
What to do?
by Mkirchie - 02/01/20 07:45 AM
Plugging balance holes
by Dennis Michael - 01/29/20 01:20 AM
The price of new bowling balls
by Dennis Michael - 01/28/20 06:14 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.