BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#65902 - 09/07/08 12:13 AM Urethane, Pearl, Reactive, Solid...?
NewEnglandBowler Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 24/m/MA, USA
For some reason, it just occurred to me that, even though i have bowled for nearly 13 years (this season being the 13th fall/winter), i have no idea what the differences are between a pearl, solid, urethane, reactive, etc. (aside from the obvious things, i mean more in terms of ball reaction and whatnot). if someone could explain this to me, that would be excellent. thanks.
HS: 766 (4/25/13)
Career:
HG: 300 (4/11/12) VG Nano
HS: 766 (4/25/13) Jet Black Taboo

League
Innovate, First Blood, Jet Black Taboo, T-Zone Orange

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#65918 - 09/07/08 07:54 AM Re: Urethane, Pearl, Reactive, Solid...? [Re: NewEnglandBowler]
Brian Pickell Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 39/M/Fort Wayne, IN

like you said aside from the obvious with that being that they are all types of covers on the balls. Pearls are typically a more polished/shiny ball with a reactive coverstock that will go further down the lane and snap towards the pocket when it sees the dry.

A solid is pretty much all of the dull balls that you see in the Pro Shop; those balls typically hook by absorbing the oil from the lane and creating traction in the oil. They typically start hooking a little early than the pearls do.

A Urethane ball is an entry level ball that typically doesn't have much of a core in it. It has a cover on it that is a little softer than a plastic ball so it will still absorb oil, but not as much as a solid ball so the hook potential on the Urethane is a lot less than a solid or a pearl.

A reactive ball is basically the class of the above three covers. Or at least I think it is.

14LB Black Widow Solid
14LB Brunswick T-Zone
14LB Ebonite NVD
15LB Emerald Vibe

#65942 - 09/07/08 03:46 PM Re: Urethane, Pearl, Reactive, Solid...? [Re: Brian Pickell]
NewEnglandBowler Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 24/m/MA, USA
ok, that makes sense.
HS: 766 (4/25/13)
Career:
HG: 300 (4/11/12) VG Nano
HS: 766 (4/25/13) Jet Black Taboo

League
Innovate, First Blood, Jet Black Taboo, T-Zone Orange

#65978 - 09/08/08 05:08 AM Re: Urethane, Pearl, Reactive, Solid...? [Re: Brian Pickell]
Jock Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 51/M/France, right handed
Originally Posted By: Brian Pickell

like you said aside from the obvious with that being that they are all types of covers on the balls. Pearls are typically a more polished/shiny ball with a reactive coverstock that will go further down the lane and snap towards the pocket when it sees the dry.

A solid is pretty much all of the dull balls that you see in the Pro Shop; those balls typically hook by absorbing the oil from the lane and creating traction in the oil. They typically start hooking a little early than the pearls do.

A Urethane ball is an entry level ball that typically doesn't have much of a core in it. It has a cover on it that is a little softer than a plastic ball so it will still absorb oil, but not as much as a solid ball so the hook potential on the Urethane is a lot less than a solid or a pearl.

A reactive ball is basically the class of the above three covers. Or at least I think it is.

Hoa!!

There are Shiny solids too (ever heard of polish?) Look at a brand new Brunswick Red Zone (Solid) and tell me it's dull.

In fact pearls tend to be shiny (but it's not because a ball is shiny that it's a pearl). They are reactive resins with tiny pearl like additives in the resin which, en general, make the ball go longer before it moves towards the pocket.

Urethane was the state of the art ball before reactive resin came out. They tend to hook less, generally speaking (but that's not always the case), but they CAN and mostly DO have a good core in them.

Generally speaking reactive resin is a solid, reactive pearl is (doh) a pearl and hybrid is a mixture of the two (1 part pearl and two parts solid or two parts pearl and one part solid)

There are also particle balls too with can be either solid or pearl (basically the same as their non particle counterparts but with small particles added) with helps them tackle more oil (like snow tires on a car).

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Mkirchie - 10/14/18 12:15 PM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.