BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#6590 - 08/29/05 10:29 PM league secretary
alice b Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 27/F/Albuquerque
I was just elected secretary of my Sunday night bowling league. I am trying to find out which software is best for keeping track of awards. That's all I need it for. If anyone has any input, please share!! Thanks

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#6591 - 08/29/05 10:46 PM Re: league secretary
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Check with your house first. Sometimes they have a version that they've bought for their own house leagues.

Erin

#6592 - 08/30/05 09:30 AM Re: league secretary
Angel Offline

A/S/L: F/So Cal
Erin, I want to bowl in *that* house. I pay for my yearly upgrades--willingly. But I sure would consider bowling in a center that offered their bowlers their own copy of software, legally of course.

#6593 - 11/13/05 11:01 AM Re: league secretary
BillinPhilly Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 50 / M / Malvern, PA
This is one of the better topics I've seen on the board so far!

My own experience is that I've been bowling off and on in various leagues for somewhere around 30 years. And when I look back on league I've been in and why I quit or didn't come back the following year, one reason does stand out.

The most common, as others have said, is the same teams winning over and over, or there being such a huge and obvious imbalance that it leaves no one else a chance.

In most of the leagues I've been in, I've never signed up "with my own team". I've always had to sign up as an individual, because I don't have friends who bowl. So it always became luck of the draw, and I always got put on whatever team happened to need a bowler, and I never had any say into the matter. And of course, the people who were putting the teams together would take the best bowlers availabe for THEIR team.

So I usually ended up on a team with the kid just learning to bowl who had a K-Mart bowling ball with 3" finger holes and who threw every other ball in the gutter - and the old lady with the 85 average who threw the ball at 3 mph down the lane. After 3 weeks of getting 100 pins in handicap and still losing every game by 100 pins or more, one comes up with an excuse why they suddenly can't bowl anymore. This has happened to me more than once.

So, yes, the competition factor will make people not want to bowl when they have no chance.

What can one do? I don't know. Its problematic to have such an imbalance in my opinion that the top 5 or 6 teams will win every game and the bottom 5 or 6 will lose every game, with the teams in the middle going 50-50 and having no chance. But when people are friends and have been bowling together for awhile, don't you have to allow them that?

My thought was to have a draft league. Use established averages from the previous year, select team captains based on the highest averages from the previous season, the get everybody together and do an old-fashioned choose up. Then no one can change teams once picked, except by a 100% captains vote. This would break up the high average teams and make it more fair all around.

The problem with it is that people will complain friends have to be allowed to bowl together, and some or all of the more experienced players, especially those who've been winning and winning, woul dnot like it and quit. This is bad because most of those people are going to be your treasrer and secretary, etc, as the most experienced people.

But this was the only solution I saw to this problem.

Again, GREAT topic.

#6594 - 11/13/05 11:05 AM Re: league secretary
BillinPhilly Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 50 / M / Malvern, PA
Sorry, folks, I was reading and trying to post to another topic - not sure why this went here. My apologies.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - 11/19/19 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.