BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#6473 - 06/30/05 05:25 PM humbled by a summer league
emperor Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 27/M/Bronx, NY
For the past two seasons, I bowled in a two person team, fun league. It was 36 weeks and was a Wednesday night vacation league with 8-12 teams. My teammate and I bowled pretty well and took 1st in the 2003-2004 season, and floppped for a 2nd place finish in the 2004-2005 season.

Both of us with low 180 averages thought it was time to upgrade to something serious. We joined this summer league with 28 teams and the prize is cash, maybe up to 4k, I forget.

Out of 14 weeks, I have bowled 5. The first week was my best, a 620 series. From there, it's been downhill and I cannot adjust to the heavily oiled lane conditions (or more oiled than the other league). These oil patterns are freshly done and no one is allowed to bowl on them until league time. Last week I shot a 440 and wanted to jump off a cliff.

Yesterday, I shot a 148, 237 and 136. Very strange. I thought I read the lane conditions well, but it didn't happen. I know that I bowl poorly because I'm getting a lot of splits and missing spares.

I'm in dead last by the way. =) This experience has opened my eyes. The only good part about this is that I'm meeting some **** good bowlers and the sh-t talking and ribbing is fun. There are women avergaing in the 220's which makes me want to vomit (since I can't hit my 186 average, with the 10 pin tank rule).

I'm sure many of you good bowlers with high averages have experienced this once or twice.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#6474 - 06/30/05 05:51 PM Re: humbled by a summer league
kagekikr Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 34/M/Michigan
Bowling on tougher conditions will only make you better in the long run. Learn from each shot. Don't focus so much on the score. If your paying attention, you'll learn to adjust, and you'll be better for it. Good luck, hang in there!
Elite Blue Alien
Brunswick Scorchin' Inferno
Brunswick Inferno
Brunswick Plastic "Spare" Ball

#6475 - 06/30/05 09:15 PM Re: humbled by a summer league
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
One thing about heavy oiled lanes, you cannot over throw the ball. If you over throw the ball that's going to lessen your hook even more.

You might have to start 5 and 5 to the outside (that's 5 with your feet and 5 with your target) to find some drier area at the beginning of league.

You can also target the dots instead of the arrows. That will get the ball into an earlier roll.

It sounds like you are "fishing" right now for where to throw the ball. I'd start taking a more logical analitical thought to this and start making moves and play different parts of the lane to find a better shot. Watch where the people that are scoring are playing. Especially if you can find one that has a similar ball speed and revs as you do. Those 220 women must know something you don't. Watch for where their ball breakpoints and line up your feet so that your breakpoint is similar. Watch for what kind of ball they are using. Are they using dull sanded particle? Or polished solids? Or maybe pearlized (doubt it).

If there are multiple people (men or women) averaging over 220 then the shot can't be that hard. Its just different from what your comfort zone is.

Erin

#6476 - 06/30/05 09:26 PM Re: humbled by a summer league
ExBronxiteBowler Offline
PBA Senior Bowler

A/S/L: M 66 Staten Island, NY
Would this league be in Fiesta or Van Nest by any chance? Or are you bowling in Bowlerland? If you can't hook the ball at either Fiesta or Van Nest, you need some serious bowling lessons.

#6477 - 07/01/05 07:34 AM Re: humbled by a summer league
bimmerman Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 55/M/Maryland
ExBronxiteBowler, (tongue firmly in cheek) a little tough him him, but I would agree with erin. If there are bowlers averaging over 220, then it's not a difficult shot by any stretch of the imagination.

On a different note, are you going to be at the regional next weekend in Edgewood, Maryland? I still haven't entered, thanks to struggling with my game the last month, but I probably will. Although I not thrilled about the change from Country Club or the prospect of getting C squad.

#6478 - 07/01/05 07:45 AM Re: humbled by a summer league
Jock Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 51/M/France, right handed
Just a small question, emp.

What is the "ten pin tank rule"? confused

#6479 - 07/01/05 08:19 AM Re: humbled by a summer league
kagekikr Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 34/M/Michigan
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">ten pin tank rule </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">I was wondering the same thing... that's one i've never heard of. cool
Elite Blue Alien
Brunswick Scorchin' Inferno
Brunswick Inferno
Brunswick Plastic "Spare" Ball

#6480 - 07/01/05 12:12 PM Re: humbled by a summer league
ExBronxiteBowler Offline
PBA Senior Bowler

A/S/L: M 66 Staten Island, NY
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Originally posted by bimmerman:
ExBronxiteBowler, (tongue firmly in cheek) a little tough him him, but I would agree with erin. If there are bowlers averaging over 220, then it's not a difficult shot by any stretch of the imagination.

On a different note, are you going to be at the regional next weekend in Edgewood, Maryland? I still haven't entered, thanks to struggling with my game the last month, but I probably will. Although I not thrilled about the change from Country Club or the prospect of getting C squad.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Yea, but he should be used to that, after all he's Currently in the Bronx and I WAS from The Bronx. And I have bowled in both those houses recently, Both are MANUAL scoring, meaning paper and pencil. Both have a clearly defined Hook spot. Van Nest hooks more on the back end than Fiesta, even though Van Nest is a wood house. Bowlers over 220? hmm, gotta gotta think what houses NEAR the Bronx have those averages... Whitestone Lanes in Queens just over the whitestone bridge... New Milford Lanes in CT... AMF White Plains in white plains... Homefield in Yonkers, Paradise Lanes in yonkers (formerly Cross County lanes and before that Raceway Lanes) near Yonkers Raceway. Ball Park but the scores aren't that high there...Bowlerland and Gun Post

As far as edgewood, I don't know yet.

#6481 - 07/01/05 02:43 PM Re: humbled by a summer league
bimmerman Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 55/M/Maryland
"ten pin tank rule" = 10 ppin drop rule. What that means your league average cannot/will not drop more than 10 pins from your starting average in the league. For example, say I enter the league with a 200 average, but have a few bad weeks and my average is now 185. For the purposes of the league and for figuring handicap, my average can never drop below 190. 190 is what my handicap would be figured off of, not 185.

#6482 - 07/02/05 05:06 PM Re: humbled by a summer league
Smooth Stroker Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 45/M/Long Island
I agree with most of the replies. If the oil seems heavy, then you were probably bowling on a real dry wall. For vacation leagues, they usually oil the lanes easier because the level of bowling in lower and people don't usually use particle balls and such. More people use white dots and lower end bowling balls. You throw the ball outside and it rolls into the pocket no matter how you fluff the ball.
When you add oil, and I seriously doubt it was real heavy oil, Then you have to put some revs on the ball. The reason why I think it wasn't real heavy oil is because when I bump into medium oil, some of the bowlers with a weaker release think that it's heavy oil. I'm bowling with a weak pearlized ball and they are using particle. I couldn't use a weak pearlized ball on real heavy oil.
I think it is time to fine tune that release. You need to get the ball into an earlier roll. If you stay behind the ball more, then the ball will go into a forward roll sooner and your ball will hook earlier. Watch the rotation of the ball as it goes down the lane. Watch where the ball breaks toward the pocket. Walk up to the lane and look at it. You will be able to see exactly where the oil is. Where it stops and such. Start practice from way outside. Like maybe the first arrow. work your way inside from there. Last but not least, don't muscle the ball. Use a free armswing.

IQ Tour Fusion
IQ Tour anniversary edition
Lights Out
Natural

USBC level 1 certified coach

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Bowled a few games at South Point in Las Vegas
by goobee - 09/03/20 04:38 PM
Roto-Grip Rubicon Video Ball Review
by sk8shorty01 - 08/25/20 05:50 PM
Storm Parallax Video Review - sk8sbowlingreviews
by sk8shorty01 - 08/23/20 01:34 AM
Storm Axiom Video - sk8sbowlingreviews
by sk8shorty01 - 08/23/20 01:30 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.