BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#16355 - 02/21/01 02:50 PM Oil track over my thumb hole
streakymike Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: Levittown, PA
Does anyone know why the oil Track on my ball would go over my thumb hole? I know that this is not normal and I would appreciate anyone's input on how to correct this problem. Thanks everyone.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#16356 - 02/24/01 02:14 PM Re: Oil track over my thumb hole
SteveB Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: Hot Springs, AR
Tracking over the thumb hole can be caused by a few different things. Two of the most common are the way the ball is drilled (balance) and the bowler's release. You might try releasing the ball using differt hand positions. Also, some balls, because of their balance/coverstock, are better suited to more or less oily lane conditions.

#16357 - 03/05/01 11:04 PM Re: Oil track over my thumb hole
TomT Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: Ocoee, Florida
In response to the question as to what causes the tracking over the thumb hole, I pretty much agree with SteveB's answer. I tend to believe that it most often happens as
the results of your release. I believe that you would find that if you release the ball
off the back of your hand causing it to have somewhat of a backward rotation that it could cause the ball to Track over the thumb hole. releasng the ball so it comes off the back of the hand and off the finger tips puts the thumb hole at the 6 o'clock position at release and may cause the ball to rotate right over the thumb hole. Thst's my opinion.

#16358 - 03/23/01 07:33 AM Re: Oil track over my thumb hole
Clark_Green Offline
Junior

A/S/L: State College, PA
Dear streakymike,

A ball that tracks over the thumb hole is usually the result of the release. If there is little hand rotation or wrist **** throught the release, the ball will tend to Track high(on or near the thumb). To try to get the hand rotation without much effort, keep your pinky right next to your ring finger and spread your index finger away from your middle finger some and see if you naturally move the Track.
If that doesn't work, see where your hand is during your swing, and where it is at the release point in relation to the ball. A semi-roller is accomplished by keeping the hand behind, or slightly inside the ball going into the release and turning the hand slightly toward the outside of the back of the ball at the release, which should have the thumb coming out of the ball at or slightly before the sliding ankle.
If you can visualize a clock face under the ball with 12 o'clock pointing toward the pins and 6 o'clock back toward the settee, you can use these for a righty. The hand should start with the thumb in the 12 o'clock position and move toward the 10-11 o'clock position at release with the fingers starting at 6 o'clock and ending up in the 4-5 o'clock position.
Some people try to keep their hand in one position through the entire swing, but if you can rotate your hand without over-rotating(spinning the ball) you can be more effective in changing your roll and getting more power in the back end.
Don't forget about the other basics, though. Keep your shoulder relaxed, along with your thumb, while keeping your wrist and fingers firm. If you have trouble feeling where your hand is, have a friend watch, or get a video camera. Hope this helps.

#16359 - 03/23/01 05:23 PM Re: Oil track over my thumb hole
8270Chaser Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: Philadelphia
Mike, I used to have the same problem, and an old pro taught me to curl my pinky up against the ball. It felt very awkward at first, but after a few games it was quite natural, and gives my ball (Ebonite Turbo) quite a powerful finish. My oil Track is now a narrow circle about an inch away from the thumb hole. On dry lanes, simply straighten you pinky out to flatten out the trajectory. Hope this helps you, it bumped my average up from 179 to 195.

#62937 - 08/01/08 09:26 PM Re: Oil track over my thumb hole [Re: 8270Chaser]
RLD Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: Pinoy-Guamie on the Bay
Just thought I'd have this old thread updated since it is a good one. I've always wondered how the ball ends up rolling over the thumb hole and thumping down the lanes.

#62944 - 08/02/08 01:28 AM Re: Oil track over my thumb hole [Re: RLD]
180fury Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 30/m/hatton,al
coachjim is pretty good at telling you how Track works. he's posted a couple of sites that help you with your Track and release. he can explain a lot on it. laugh

in my bag :
15# track--up rising
15# brunswick--super zone powerkoil international release
15# track--kinetic energy
16# morich--awesome finish
15# ebonite--clash
14# lanehawk-- lucky strike

#62948 - 08/02/08 07:25 AM Re: Oil track over my thumb hole [Re: RLD]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
RLD digs up another dead body from the past.

There are several things that cause the ball to Track over the thumb:

1. Releasing the ball with the fingers not rotating counter clock wise, either lifting straight, or slightly clockwise (full roller) is the most common.

2. The pin being too close to the vertical axis line causing the bow tie to raise up and the ball to flare over the thumb. Mo Pinel recommends not going closer than 20 degrees or 1 1/2" from the val unless you are a pro level bowler with a very consistent release then you can go to 10 degrees.

3. High Track bowler with a high rg ball with low differential will bring the flare closer to the fingers and thumb and catch the thumb if the bowler's Track is high enough.

4. Drilling the ball with a full roller drilling if the bowler doesn't throw a full roller will sometimes cause the ball to back flare over the thumb or finger holes.

5. Drilling the ball with the mass bias in the Track will sometimes cause the ball to back flare over the holes.

#62950 - 08/02/08 07:39 AM Re: Oil track over my thumb hole [Re: CoachJim]
Brian Pickell Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 39/M/Fort Wayne, IN
Originally Posted By: CoachJim

3. High Track bowler with a high rg ball with low differential will bring the flare closer to the fingers and thumb and catch the thumb if the bowler's Track is high enough.

So the ball tracks from the bottom up then? If that is the case that explains so much then. I have been killing myself trying to stop this from happening on my ball. My oil tracks are run from right at the finger/thumb hole down about 6 inches, but if the ball actually tracks from the bottom up then there probably is not much I can do about it.

Thanks.

14LB Black Widow Solid
14LB Brunswick T-Zone
14LB Ebonite NVD
15LB Emerald Vibe

#62991 - 08/02/08 10:09 PM Re: Oil track over my thumb hole [Re: CoachJim]
RLD Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: Pinoy-Guamie on the Bay
Originally Posted By: CoachJim
RLD digs up another dead body from the past.
Maybe I should just change my name to the "Grave Digger." nelson Thanks for the update, CoachJim!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

It's never too early for a good deal!
Shop Amazon - Countdown to Black Friday

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Body Moving Left
by SteveH - Yesterday at 05:07 PM
Critical Care Kitty needs your help
by MiggityMatt - Yesterday at 02:40 PM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2014-15 thread
by Richie V. - 10/29/14 10:36 PM
Subs wanted for fall virtual league
by Richie V. - 10/28/14 07:05 PM
Fall '14 Week 7 virtual league results
by Richie V. - 10/28/14 07:02 PM
Sore wrist.
by spr3wr - 10/28/14 04:14 PM
Storm Crux Video Ball Review
by BOSStull - 10/28/14 02:42 AM
2014 WTBA World Men's Championships
by Richie V. - 10/26/14 09:21 PM
Ah yes, elbow inside
by SteveH - 10/26/14 11:34 AM
Rough Comparisons of Storm & Roto Grip balls
by SteveH - 10/25/14 04:33 PM
For stubborn straight-bowlers
by SteveH - 10/24/14 05:20 PM
best defiant in the line from roto grip?
by champ - 10/24/14 03:37 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2014 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.