BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 7 of 14 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#61644 - 07/16/08 02:41 PM Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good [Re: cgeorg]
J_w73 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Northern CA
Originally Posted By: cgeorg
I see one thing attached to the polisher - is it the tub or the pail? Where/what is the other piece?

How do you hold the polisher in place?

EDIT - Ok, I see the other pictures now smile Does the weight of everything keep it in one place when it's on? Does the sander have a switch to stay on, so you can just turn it on, then use 2 hands for the task at hand?

Yes.. the polisher sits up from the handle. The pail holds the other end in place and keeps it from torquing. The switch has a button to hold it down so that the polisher stays on.
Like I said.. I might extend the bolts that hold the handle on so that they go through the pail so that the polisher won't move side to side at all. I think that is needed because the polisher and ball trys to move when you put pressure on it while sanding

Book Average 220

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#62682 - 07/30/08 08:12 AM Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good [Re: PROGRIND]
intheZONE782 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 26/m/Indiana
Taking on a project of making a 'homemade' spinner. Luckily we know an engineer firend who happened to have an extra washing machine motor...don;t ask me why...Went out and bought a 1000-watt turn-style dimmer switch and a standard 4" hex-locking pulley and vioala! I still have to find a bowl of some sort to put on it, but it should work fine and we only spent 20 bucks..of course..the motor was free, but this should be a cheap alternative. Once i get the bowl mounted I will have a better idea of RPM's, but with the dimmer switch it is fully adjustable to about any speed I need. I will post pics soon.
Roto Grip Cell
Brunswick Avalanche Solid (Mod. RICO)- For Sale
Storm Virtual Gravity 5x5x4-For Sale
Storm Virtual Gravity 4x4x2
Storm Hy-Road

#62685 - 07/30/08 09:24 AM Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good [Re: intheZONE782]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Sounds good. This is one of my Winter projects. Course, I have been saying that for 2 years now.

As for the bowl, I saw some flower pots made out of rubber/vinyl that could work. I felt a little dumb carrying my ball into the nursery and trying them for size.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#62686 - 07/30/08 09:34 AM Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good [Re: Dennis Michael]
intheZONE782 Offline
League Bowler

I saw that a couple posts above here..looks good and probably wouldn't worry about scratching the ball like a metal bowl would...
Roto Grip Cell
Storm Hy-Road

#62733 - 07/30/08 04:21 PM Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good [Re: intheZONE782]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Donkey makes a workstation cup for bowling balls that has a rubber top edge. Its about the size of the cup on a regular spinner. It can be found at donkee.com/workstation.htm.
HS:763

#62752 - 07/30/08 07:44 PM Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
intheZONE782 Offline
League Bowler

Actually i just found a durable plastic mixing bowl- here are some pics of the progress. We are builiding a housing this weekend and it should be finished.

Roto Grip Cell
Storm Hy-Road

#62809 - 07/31/08 09:49 AM Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good [Re: intheZONE782]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
Very nice.

#63490 - 08/07/08 05:02 PM Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
J_w73 Offline
Legend

Originally Posted By: infernocal
Donkey makes a workstation cup for bowling balls that has a rubber top edge. Its about the size of the cup on a regular spinner. It can be found at donkee.com/workstation.htm.

They will sell you the bowl from their actual spinner for 11 bucks.. 15 bucks with the rubber ring that keeps the ball from spinning ....there is a minimum $20 order so you will have to throw in an abralon pad too..

Edited by J_w73 (08/07/08 05:02 PM)

Book Average 220

#63492 - 08/07/08 05:14 PM Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good [Re: intheZONE782]
J_w73 Offline
Legend

Originally Posted By: intheZONE782
Actually i just found a durable plastic mixing bowl- here are some pics of the progress. We are builiding a housing this weekend and it should be finished.

How does it work set up like that? .. Does the weight of the ball have any adverse effects on the motor. I need to switch my set up to use a belt and pulley system like the real spinners. The polisher doesn't like the weight from the ball and the weight from the pressure while sanding.. the gearing in the head of the polisher gets a little hot and is noisy.. I like your direct drive set up if the motor bearings and bushings can handle it..
I might be able to just use the motor from the polisher in a set up like yours.. I also have a washer that I am getting rid of wink
I also found that as you put pressure on the ball while sanding and put strain on the motor I think the variable speed resistor in my polisher heats up and therefore changes the amount of volts it lets go... so when you let up on the ball the speed wants to take off.. any trouble like that with your wall mount variable light switch

where did you get your bowl..??

Edited by J_w73 (08/07/08 05:15 PM)

Book Average 220

#63827 - 08/11/08 06:25 PM Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good [Re: J_w73]
J_w73 Offline
Legend

Originally Posted By: J_w73
Originally Posted By: infernocal

They will sell you the bowl from their actual spinner for 11 bucks.. 15 bucks with the rubber ring that keeps the ball from spinning ....there is a minimum $20 order so you will have to throw in an abralon pad too..

I just got the ball cup from the Donkee spinner. It isn't that great.. without the rubber piece it won't hold the ball that well. I thought I could just line the edge with some black tape or some other tacky material.. it won't work.. the cup is way to big without the rubber piece that is supposed to go in it. So with the piece it might be better but I don't know..
I bought some rubber mat that I am going to secure to the inside and see if that works.

Book Average 220

Page 7 of 14 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
What to do?
by Mkirchie - 02/01/20 07:45 AM
Plugging balance holes
by Dennis Michael - 01/29/20 01:20 AM
The price of new bowling balls
by Dennis Michael - 01/28/20 06:14 PM
This is a damned shame
by Mkirchie - 01/26/20 05:10 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.