BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#61984 - 07/21/08 02:45 AM Re: My Latest Video [Re: Jay R.]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Quote:
Does anyone have drills for staying more upright during the swing? It seems that for the life of me I can stop doing bending so much. I know someone mentioned imagine balancing a book on your head but that's not going to work. I was kinda wondering if there's anything you can actually wear for this kind of thing?

Funny you should mention wearing something, Susie Minshew taught me to have a bowler that is doing this wear a baseball cap with the rim pulled down just above the bowler's eyes, if the bowler bends forward too much then he/she can't see where they are going and this causes the old self preservation instinct to kick in and work for you for a change by having you keep more up right. Try the baseball cap and let me know how it goes.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#61990 - 07/21/08 04:29 AM Re: My Latest Video [Re: CoachJim]
Jay R. Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 21/M/Tacoma, WA
Lol that's a good one. I was thinking more along the lines of something that would physically disable me from bending past a certain point. I thought of a weight belt but that wouldn't quite do it I don't think. Something like that though. Just to make sure I understand what you're saying though, you're talking about a regular hat right? And, with the cap rim low enough, it would make it so you can't see the lane anymore(if you bend too much)? I just may try that.

#62017 - 07/21/08 02:08 PM Re: My Latest Video [Re: Jay R.]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
Worse comes to worse, you at least learn how to bowl blind. I hope it works out for you.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#62029 - 07/21/08 08:40 PM Re: My Latest Video [Re: TheDemolitionMan]
Jay R. Offline
Legend

So I tried the hat a little bit today. I don't think it was too successful but I do think I improved on the spine tilt. When I wore the hate, I lost sight of the arrows for just a split second. In any case, I felt that I was not bending as much as I normally do and the two people I was bowling with agreed. So it seems that it's not much more than how much I'm bending in my stance. However, I'd like to get it to the point where I bend no more than I do in my stance. I feel that I'm close, next time I'll have to take a video to actually see it.

The problem now is, I feel like it's harder to stay balanced. Sometimes my trail leg goes completely left and I feel very open at the line with my hips. Sometimes this causes the ball to go too far to the right, sometimes it doesn't. So I figured I'd try sitting into the shot a little more. It worked some of the time for balance but I didn't solve the trail leg problem all the time. Also, I still felt that pop up occur at the finish. Is this caused by forcing the downswing or am I just not getting lower?

In a sense I'm probably working on too many things at once, but I feel that if I'm not bending a lot at the waist I have to at least bend a little more at the knees. I kind of feel like I'm losing leverage trying to keep a more vertical base.

#62040 - 07/22/08 06:20 AM Re: My Latest Video [Re: Jay R.]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

Next time try to bend the right knee a little more into the slide, think descend into the slide rather than bend into the slide. You want to lower your hips so keep your butt down and sit like you said you were doing that is probably got you on the right track. Kick your trail leg away from your target, or kick your slide foot towards your target, either way your trail leg can help keep your upper body square to your target instead of twisting.

#62043 - 07/22/08 07:17 AM Re: My Latest Video [Re: CoachJim]
Jay R. Offline
Legend

I'm more comfortable sliding into my target. Kicking my trail leg too far to the left causes inconsistencies for me. I'd much like to do something like Norm Duke does with his trail leg. I'm going to try something a bit more comfortable for league today and I'm going to try to take video of it. If I'm actually doing something different than the past videos I'll probably upload some of it. Either way I'll post how it goes.

#62044 - 07/22/08 07:52 AM Re: My Latest Video [Re: Jay R.]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

I am not talking about kicking to the left, I am talking about kicking straight back in line with your target, like norm duke and many others do.

#62086 - 07/23/08 12:31 AM Re: My Latest Video [Re: CoachJim]
Jay R. Offline
Legend

I forgot the video camera, dang it! On the plus side, I kind of felt Norm Duke like tonight lol. I didn't really kick that trail leg back like Norm Duke though, more of an angle because I don't think it was completely to the left either. I'd have to work on that trail leg to get it to go almost straight back, it's almost like not doing anything with it once you get into your last step, just leave it where it is. As far as spine tilt, I felt a lot more natural today. Don't know if I reverted back to the old way but I would think it was not as bad at least.

#62094 - 07/23/08 07:04 AM Re: My Latest Video [Re: Jay R.]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

You need to stop being so literal, when I say straight back I mean straight back in line with your target, not in line with your swing, your leg is probably fine if it is not swinging to the left or getting in the way of the ball. If your leg is in line with your swing you will either have the ball a mile from your ankle at the release, or bash yourself in the leg with the ball.

#62161 - 07/23/08 07:58 PM Re: My Latest Video [Re: CoachJim]
Jay R. Offline
Legend

Okay I get what you're saying. I'll have to practice with it and not force the ball in the down swing because I think for the most part that's what throws my trail leg too far to the left. I'll get some video next time I'm on the lanes to see what I'm doing and keep you updated.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 10:42 AM
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Mkirchie - 10/21/18 07:57 AM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.