BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#6206 - 04/03/05 11:41 AM behavior and leagues
rowens1777 Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 49/Male/Maryland
To all,
What rules or regulations are in place in your leagues that deal with childish or inappropriate behavior. Some examples would include kicking the ball returns, bouncing the ball on the floor in the seating area(not lanes), foul language(in front of their own kids), and yelling(usually more foul language).My other question is who is responsible for curbing these behaviors? Fellow team mates, other bowlers...League or Alley Management? Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Waldorf, Md

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#6207 - 04/03/05 12:20 PM Re: behavior and leagues
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Usually a league has a set of rules, written and voted on at the beginning of the league season. At that time, officers are also voted upon. A Seargent of Arms is the law keeper within a league. A league can install a penalty for breaking whatever behavior rules are within the league. Most houses, in addition to league rules, have rules that are in place all the time.

So poor behavior can be reprimanded either through the league, house or both. If your league is a adult/youth league, then the local YABA representative may also have some power.

Personally, I think you have to take into perspective what kind of league it is as to how much lea way maybe given for "language". Afternoon, adult/youth, and early evening leagues are going to be more family oriented and therefore more stringent on "language" and behavior. Bad behavior and "language" may not be allowed under any circumstances, but in reality, adults, booze (bar business) and late night leagues tend to get rowdy and really are no place for children anyway. I bowl in a mixed league that starts at 9:15pm on Friday. We dont' get out until well after 12:30am, sometimes 1am. I am shocked at the amount of small children drug through that alley when they should ALL be in bed. My folks would NEVER have even given it a second thought to having us anywhere near a bowling alley at Midnight on a weekend night. It just never happened. Yet today, parents don't seem to think, and are bent out of shape when they run into situations they should never have put their kids through.

Erin

#6208 - 04/04/05 01:36 PM Re: behavior and leagues
Darrell Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 46 Male Michigan
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Originally posted by Atochabsh:
Afternoon, adult/youth, and early evening leagues are going to be more family oriented and therefore more stringent on "language" and behavior. Bad behavior and "language" may not be allowed under any circumstances, but in reality, adults, booze (bar business) and late night leagues tend to get rowdy and really are no place for children anyway. I bowl in a mixed league that starts at 9:15pm on Friday. We dont' get out until well after 12:30am, sometimes 1am. I am shocked at the amount of small children drug through that alley when they should ALL be in bed. My folks would NEVER have even given it a second thought to having us anywhere near a bowling alley at midnight on a weekend night. It just never happened. Yet today, parents don't seem to think, and are bent out of shape when they run into situations they should never have put their kids through. Erin </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Erin you are soooo right. I am in THURSDAY night league that starts at 6:30P. There are at least 50 unsupervised children present. There is not only Foul language, drinking, bar business, but highly sexually suggestive music and flirtatious dance and sexually explicit banter engaged in. At any given time there are another 50-70 non bowling individuals visiting, every Thursday night.

--------------------
May all your corner pins fall

#6209 - 04/04/05 02:08 PM Re: behavior and leagues
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

Lets face it, a bowling alley, at night is nothing more then an extended recreational bar. Like a Pool Hall, only with bowling lanes added. Once the bar music starts around 8 - 9pm, its really not a good place for small children.

Most jr/adult leagues I've seen have been early in the evening, or in the late afternoons on weekends. And the house usually puts that league as far away from the bar as possible.

But if there's a lot of problems with foul language within a league, you can have the league install a fee for each occurance. If it continues, then usually the offender (after paying several penalties) will leave the league and bowl at another time. And I say "a lot" because you shouldn't have to put up with continual foul language, but you should not expect to be in a perfectly clean language environment.

Erin

#6210 - 04/04/05 02:15 PM Re: behavior and leagues
Angel Offline

A/S/L: F/So Cal
And since very few leagues I've been affiliated with actually install a Sgt At Arms, anyone being truly a danger to themselves or others can be talked to by the president, a very diplomatic (hopefully physically imposing) league member, or management (esp. in the case of damaging equip).

There may be no league rule against certain behavior, but there's no reason the rest of the league has to endure an axishole.

#6211 - 04/05/05 06:14 AM Re: behavior and leagues
budvangogh Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 48/M/Texas
If the offender is a teamate, pull him aside and make him aware of his behavior--Anyone else, make management aware--Let management know that your bowling experience(and your teams)can be enjoyed elsewhere--IT is all of our responsibility to NOT condone this behavior--

#6212 - 04/05/05 11:04 AM Re: behavior and leagues
mdmjdm Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 40/m/MD
Keep in mind that some people just WON'T get it...EVER.

We just had a perfect example of it on our Monday league. One arrogant idiot decided that he was unhappy with the split he had just thrown, so he threw his second shot overhand down the lane. Actually, over the lane, and into the next one over. Once his moronic behavior was verified to the center manager...he was tossed out of the house for good.

This week...his whole team was a no-show. In protest of how poorly he was treated, I guess. He deserved to be tossed BEFORE this, but no one seemed to have the nerve to make a stand on it. I have been railing against this type of behavior from him and others for a long time.

Throw them out, and maybe some other bowlers with CLASS and RESPECT will come back to the alley.

John

#6213 - 04/05/05 02:41 PM Re: behavior and leagues
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

As I said in the beginning, go to the league meeting at the start of the season. That's when all this can be nipped in the bud. Every league I've joined had a league meeting prior to the season.

If you did miss the league meeting or something unexpected has come up, you can ask the league president to call a league meeting at the beginning of play. At this meeting you can then install a new rule or exception to a rule if needed.

Erin

#6214 - 06/12/05 04:36 PM Re: behavior and leagues
Kunzie Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 57/m/Bismarck ND
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Originally posted by Atochabsh:
As I said in the beginning, go to the league meeting at the start of the season. That's when all this can be nipped in the bud. Every league I've joined had a league meeting prior to the season.

If you did miss the league meeting or something unexpected has come up, you can ask the league president to call a league meeting at the beginning of play. At this meeting you can then install a new rule or exception to a rule if needed.

Erin
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">

#6215 - 06/12/05 04:41 PM Re: behavior and leagues
Kunzie Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 57/m/Bismarck ND
Sorry, I hit enter too soon on the last reply..Any rule change after the league has started their season can only be changed with 100 percent vote of the leagues' board of directors (Officers and team captains)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
End of Days
by steveA - 10/16/19 06:00 PM
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by BOSStull - 10/04/19 06:17 PM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by BOSStull - 09/22/19 11:01 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.