BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#6196 - 03/19/05 08:05 AM Re: IMPROVEMENT-BEST TYPE OF LEAGUE?
mdmjdm Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 40/m/MD
Erin makes a great point. Bowling is a sport of repetition, and ANYTHING that changes your routine can mess up your scores. By bowling in many different houses, your routine seems to naturally adapt to a one that is "workable" anywhere.

It's not something that is "teachable"...it just comes with experience. I would guess that I have bowled in about 50 different houses total, and it is rare that I find one anymore that "bothers" me with it's characteristics. It allows me to concentrate on the lanes.

John

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#6197 - 03/19/05 08:17 AM Re: IMPROVEMENT-BEST TYPE OF LEAGUE?
Darrell Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 46 Male Michigan
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Originally posted by Atochabsh:
What can I tell ya Darrell? I'm just sharing my experience with shooting in Sport Leagues.Accuracy is what you need for Sport conditions, but that condition alone does not make you more accurate. You have to play the condition and transitions differently than you do the block house shot, so you cannot take experience from the Sport league and directly apply it to the house shot.

Like I said above, Sport Leagues are going to be more challenging, but I don't think they make you a better bowler. They do make you aware that you are not that accurate, but cannot infuse you with accuracy.

Erin
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Hello Bowling Fnas.
Erin, Thanks for keeping it real. You have encouraged me step up my game. Scratch tournaments and tournament play will provide more than enough experience at physical play and mental growth.

I am not looking for vaunted,lofty, and pride boosting experiences. I just want to be an accomplished Bowler. Then maybe sport condition etc... Being "perfectly comfortable" no matter what House I bowl in is enough for me.

--------------------
May all your corner pins fall

#6198 - 03/19/05 02:19 PM Re: IMPROVEMENT-BEST TYPE OF LEAGUE?
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
I had one of those "keepin it real" moments last night on a simple house shot. The shot just ran right out from under me the second game. I was moving, moving, but just couldn't keep up. Couple bad breaks (though earned) and I follow a nice 236 with a big fat 174. Determined to catch up to this flying lane condition the third game, I had a clean game, but just couldnt' get much together. The right lane was about 2 boards drier for me then the left and it was givin me belly aches. Tenth frame I thought I had it licked, and then WHAM! 6-7 split. Lane jumped on me again. We needed a big win to come back from that second game and get total. I needed something to redeem my own mind from that second game. Something to help keep the pressure off our anchor bowler. I picked up my trusty plastic spare ball and with severe determination converted that 6 - 7 split. 9 count followed and we were able to take total for 3 or 4 games.

Now for me, that was pretty challenging. I didn't score real high, I've scored higher in the past, but I had my work cut out for me. Until experiences like this become boring, our house offers plenty of challenging opportunities from which to learn.

Erin

#6199 - 03/25/05 11:55 PM Re: IMPROVEMENT-BEST TYPE OF LEAGUE?
Smooth Stroker Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 45/M/Long Island
I plan on trying my hand at a PBA shot league this summer. It is a singles league. Points are based on high series on the pair, second high series and so on. They will rotate the 5 patterns throughout the summer. They will allow you to practice on the shot on Sunday or Saturday I think. They have the machine to put out the PBA shots. I'm hoping this will prove to be a real challenge. I also hope to improve my bowling skills.
My monday night league puts out not enough oil for my tastes. I struggle to keep the ball on the right side of the headpin. I am trying to adjust but It's been a long year. I just want some oil. The house that is putting out the PBA shot isn't afraid to put out the oil.

IQ Tour Fusion
IQ Tour anniversary edition
Lights Out
Natural

USBC level 1 certified coach

#6200 - 03/25/05 11:57 PM Re: IMPROVEMENT-BEST TYPE OF LEAGUE?
Smooth Stroker Offline
Legend

Oh, to answer the question I would also try the scratch league first. Then the PBA shot league, followed by the sport shot league. With the scratch league basically, the team with the highest average is going to win.

IQ Tour Fusion
Lights Out
Natural

#6201 - 03/26/05 01:37 PM Re: IMPROVEMENT-BEST TYPE OF LEAGUE?
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

Not necessarily Smooth Stroker. If you have an average cap on your scratch league, then usually teams are put together so that they come as close to that cap as possible. However, if you have an advancing bowler in the house, their lower book can be a huge asset. It allows two or three big averages to bowl together, who normally would go over the cap. My partner and I figure that we can improve any bowler from 130 - 190, there's room to get better. As long as that bowler is willing to improve. We then have a big advantage,whether in a handicap or scratch league. We pick our teammates carefully. We are looking for potential and willingness to learn. We're not always the highest team average, but we usually have at least one advancing bowler. And we're usually in the running for top honors in the league.

Erin

#6202 - 03/26/05 02:27 PM Re: IMPROVEMENT-BEST TYPE OF LEAGUE?
strikesbeme Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 40/M/Cincinnati, OH
And again, Erin nails yet another topic! Years ago (showing my age again), I used to do the same thing.

As the bowling season progressed, I was always on the lookout for improving - advancing bowlers. These are the guys that you can get to be your "handicap" person for the following season.

As Erin said, "we can improve any bowler from 130 - 190, there's room to get better. As long as that bowler is willing to improve."

If you're looking for a way to start winning some leagues, this is a method that worked for me many times.

#6203 - 03/27/05 09:36 AM Re: IMPROVEMENT-BEST TYPE OF LEAGUE?
Smooth Stroker Offline
Legend

Out here I haven't seen a scratch league with an average cap. Hence the highest average team always wins.

IQ Tour Fusion
Lights Out
Natural

#6204 - 03/27/05 12:01 PM Re: IMPROVEMENT-BEST TYPE OF LEAGUE?
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

Smooth Stroker, you need to get the league to instigate an average cap. Its just stupid to participate in such a league, because you are right, one team will be stacked. A reasonable average cap will cause the biggest averages to break up, spreading the wealth so to speak. Depending on the average cap, it can also make high averages seek out lower sub 200 bowlers in order to get as high to the cap as possible. This then brings up and coming bowlers into the scratch environment and gives them a chance. Attending the league meeting and putting the idea to a vote is what you'd need to do. And of course the high average team will vote against it, because they want to bowl together and win the money. Since there are other teams, then this cap will help them and a vote takes into account all participants not just the high team.

I wouldn't bowl in a league where I knew I had no chance. That's not competition. Nor does it promote fairness. You'll have the top team or top two teams and then everyone else will be donators.

Erin

#6205 - 04/16/05 12:27 PM Re: IMPROVEMENT-BEST TYPE OF LEAGUE?
labradorice Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 47/f/montreal, canada
Thanks for your input, Erin,

I'm going to find out if the scratch league has an average cap. It is a more expensive league, so I am glad to know about recommending an average cap if they don't plan to have one (It is a new league.) If they are not having an average cap, I'll join the higher average doubles league.

I have decided to join the fall sports condition league as well, since high caliber coaches will be involved with on lane instruction.
The coaches I work with recommend it as many of the regional tournament here are on sports conditions.

The proposed format is one week instruction/practice on the pattern, followed by four competition weeks on that pattern, therefore changing the pattern every five weeks.

Singles competition with two divisions (scratch and handicap) allows for our national team members and elite bowlers to participate alongside the developing bowlers without the commitment pressure of team play.

Mentally and physically I'll be looking at the sports shot like a different dance step... House shot= the tango... sports shot= the waltz...or is that house shot= tap dancing and sports shot=ballet????
:rolleyes:

Happy bowling
labradorice

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by SteveH - 09/17/19 11:06 AM
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - 09/12/19 12:24 AM
USBC Rule 12
by Dennis Michael - 09/10/19 07:26 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Mkirchie - 09/03/19 03:33 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.