BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#61910 - 07/20/08 08:21 AM Re: Most Hook [Re: 180fury]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#61912 - 07/20/08 08:41 AM Re: Most Hook [Re: TheDemolitionMan]
Justinmill14 Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 18/male/Tennessee
Originally Posted By: TheDemolitionMan
Caoch might be right. Lessons might be a good idea. Do you open up your shoulder for side rotation and exstend your index finger and tuck your little finger? Those two things come to mind at least in regards to hook.

Basically, you could take just about any high performance ball and drill it to hook. So all you have to do is pick a ball.

why do i need lessons when ive been bowling for two years, i know how to bowl, all i want is a good ball that will hook because i am getting a new bowling ball.
Cell Pearl
Furious
Reign
Natural
Hammer Onyx Vibe
Columbia 300 Outburst

#61913 - 07/20/08 08:43 AM Re: Most Hook [Re: CoachJim]
Justinmill14 Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

Originally Posted By: CoachJim

i know how to do that, as a mater of fact i do do that
Cell Pearl
Furious
Reign
Natural
Hammer Onyx Vibe
Columbia 300 Outburst

#61914 - 07/20/08 08:43 AM Re: Most Hook [Re: CoachJim]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
If I have read up on this correctly, your normal hand position rests closely to the ball surface. Curling your finger in the grip, lifts your hand slightly off the ball and adds more pressure to the fingertips.

There is an obvious pain in the little finger the first time you try it, but that lessens with repeated use. There also could be a strain on the back of the hand which should not be ignored, as this could persist.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#61915 - 07/20/08 09:00 AM Re: Most Hook [Re: Justinmill14]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Quote:

Read this:

http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/tip11.htm

This was directed at 180fury so it wouldn't hijack your post.

If you have only been bowling for two years then you definitely need lessons, I have been bowling for 30 years and still need lessons. Chris Barnes who is PBA player of the year takes lessons from a bunch of different coaches in the off season. What makes you think you don't need lessons?

#61918 - 07/20/08 10:56 AM Re: Most Hook [Re: Justinmill14]
J_w73 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Northern CA
Originally Posted By: Justinmill14
Originally Posted By: TheDemolitionMan
Caoch might be right. Lessons might be a good idea. Do you open up your shoulder for side rotation and exstend your index finger and tuck your little finger? Those two things come to mind at least in regards to hook.

Basically, you could take just about any high performance ball and drill it to hook. So all you have to do is pick a ball.

why do i need lessons when ive been bowling for two years, i know how to bowl, all i want is a good ball that will hook because i am getting a new bowling ball.

I have been bowling for 22 years and just started taking a couple of lessons.. I knew how to bowl too .. but the lessons have taken my game to a new level.. You don't know what you don't know.

Book Average 220

#61928 - 07/20/08 01:22 PM Re: Most Hook [Re: Justinmill14]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
Fury, the index, middle and ring fingers provide the hook on the ball. The further the index finger is out the more hook you are putting on the. The little finger acts kind of like a guide or straightener finger (if that makes sense). Having the the little finger tucked (at the first knuckle) completely removes that finger's ability to effect the ball with its grip, further increasing the balls ability to hook.

Justin,
You might want to take a few lessons that way you have a professional (more than likely), who can critique you and have you change some things that will help your game. More than liekely have you change something that is "wrong" (even though there is no wrong way in bowling) or rather detremental to your game that you didn't even know about.

As for mysself I should probably take some lessons as well. I know there are probably a ton of things that I get away with that are probably killing me in my sports shot league. I would love to have some professional help, who wouldn't?

Edited by TheDemolitionMan (07/20/08 01:30 PM)
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#61938 - 07/20/08 04:13 PM Re: Most Hook [Re: CoachJim]
Justinmill14 Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

Quote:

Read this:

http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/tip11.htm

This was directed at 180fury so it wouldn't hijack your post.

If you have only been bowling for two years then you definitely need lessons, I have been bowling for 30 years and still need lessons. Chris Barnes who is PBA player of the year takes lessons from a bunch of different coaches in the off season. What makes you think you don't need lessons?
'

when i said i didnt need lessons, i didnt exactly mean it that way, heck yeah i need lessons, but i didnt post this thread to look for lessons, im looking for bowling balls, but thanks
Cell Pearl
Furious
Reign
Natural
Hammer Onyx Vibe
Columbia 300 Outburst

#61939 - 07/20/08 04:16 PM Re: Most Hook [Re: Justinmill14]
Justinmill14 Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

demolitionman, your right i do need lessons, but its hard for me to find anybody around here that can give me lessons, my bowling coach doesnt even know that much about bowling, but there is a couple that just started coming to my church that are and were both pros, hopefully they will be able to help me.
Cell Pearl
Furious
Reign
Natural
Hammer Onyx Vibe
Columbia 300 Outburst

#61948 - 07/20/08 06:32 PM Re: Most Hook [Re: Justinmill14]
jsigone Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 28/m/San Diego, CA
join the youth league in the winter, they usually have a coach there as well that can give pointers. Also some parents might be able to show you things. Best thing to do is put yourself in the mist of better bowlers. You'll adapt a style and hone in on making it consitant every time.

Storm Dimension 4" PAP 2000grit
Storm Xfactor ACE 5" PAP 4000grit
BW Venom 5X4 layout
Lane#1 Gforce EVO 5" PAP 1000grit
Track Kinetic 4 3/4" PAP x 4" 600grit
Old Plastic Rhino

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Any interest in a winter virtual league?
by SteveH - 11/19/17 10:22 PM
Nothing worse than falling apart late in a game
by Jason_C - 11/19/17 10:04 PM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Richie V. - 11/19/17 09:15 PM
Which ball
by djp1080 - 11/19/17 06:18 PM
Entry Angle
by djp1080 - 11/19/17 12:09 PM
Honor scores 2017-18
by Fin09 - 11/17/17 07:27 PM
My low track
by Jason_C - 11/17/17 01:38 PM
Back-up Bowling
by djp1080 - 11/16/17 08:31 PM
Has this happenned to any one
by 82Boat69 - 11/14/17 01:24 PM
Two handed with pinky and ring
by Dylan585 - 11/13/17 02:48 PM
2017 U.S. Open
by Dylan585 - 11/12/17 05:48 PM
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by SteveH - 11/05/17 09:51 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2017 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.