BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#61815 - 07/18/08 02:23 PM Ball doesn't hook anymore
Kpbowler Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 15/M/New Jersey
I bought a black widow bite from my Pro Shop about 2 months ago and it hooked like crazy. But now my dry lane ball is hooking more than my bite. It just lost all of its hook out of nowhere. How can I get the hook back?
Hammer Claw - Dry
White Dot - Spares

High Game: 289
High Series: 690

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#61816 - 07/18/08 02:33 PM Re: Ball doesn't hook anymore [Re: Kpbowler]
Mkirchie Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 37/M/New Jersey
Not much to say here besides clean, clean, clean! Once the ball gets dirty and oily, the coverstock loses its tackiness. You need to restore that tackiness. I clean my stuff every time I go bowling. I have much older equipment and they still hook great.

As for the cleaning, if you do some searches on here, you'll find a lot of info on some different ideas. For after bowling, I use an Ebonite cleaner, bought a big bottle around 3 years ago, and I still have a good bit left. In your case, you need to get deeper into that ball. I'd recommend the hot water/dish detergent bath described on Morich's site, I did it once and it worked really good to get out the real deep stuff. If that doesn't cut it, I'd take it to the Pro Shop and have them rejuvenate the ball. Personally, I'd stay away from any methods that involve possible excessive heat, you don't want the core separating from the coverstock.

Hope this helps.

Mark

#61819 - 07/18/08 02:50 PM Re: Ball doesn't hook anymore [Re: Mkirchie]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
You need to clean your bowling balls after each use. Now to the matter at hand. You need your BW bite rejuvenated/baked. The BW solid and Bite tend to have a spongy coverstock. You could go to the Pro Shop and they can to it. Or you can use the redneck/poorman's version and sit it out in the sun. I used to do this about every 1-2 weeks to keep the reaction, but since I got my Cell I do it about every month and a half. The key to the poorman's versions is to keep an eye on it so it doesn't develop a flat spot or you could sit it on some dowel rods (they go in the finger holes) and do it that way.

IF you do this you will see the reaction come back and it may not be the same as you first got it, but it will get most of its reaction back. Also you'll see how much oil actually comes out of the ball, it's pretty enlightening.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#61824 - 07/18/08 02:55 PM Re: Ball doesn't hook anymore [Re: Mkirchie]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: m/ Michigan
I have a BW Bite too, and the same thing happened to mine. Hook Monster the first month or so and then it died off. You will have to clean it as Mark suggests. Always clean it after every use.
I put mine in some hot tap water with some Dawn dish soap. This helps to extract the oil from the ball. Just leave it in the water for 30-40 minutes and check it, wipes it off with a good ball cleaner. Repeat as necessary, untill no oil is present. Or you can put it on the patio in the hot sun, and watch the oil come out. Keep wiping it down untill the oil is no longer present. Then have a Pro Shop resurface the ball.
It will come back, but nowhere near what it was new.

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#61827 - 07/18/08 03:09 PM Re: Ball doesn't hook anymore [Re: Tim Gerard]
LudoMonster Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 27/M/NJ
Could it be your release?

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - Today at 03:29 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by 6_ball_man - Yesterday at 10:22 AM
no one on for 5 days
by 82Boat69 - 05/23/18 04:38 PM
True Motion vs. Black Widow Urethane
by Mkirchie - 05/20/18 07:28 AM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Dennis Michael - 05/12/18 06:43 PM
For the good of the sport?
by Dennis Michael - 04/29/18 10:29 PM
Superstitions?
by Dennis Michael - 04/26/18 06:09 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.