BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#60787 - 07/04/08 11:15 AM New league for me
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Hooray!

I came home late last night, and this morning, I saw that there was a call on my answering machine. It was from the Bowling Lane only 2 miles from my house. I have been on their waiting list for 2 years for their top money league. And, yesterday, I got a call to join. Finally!!!

It's a 4-man, 850 team cap scratch league. Team competition, head to head competition, and you also bowl against five bowlers in your bracket. And, side brackets and pots every night.
I subbed for a bowler who moved 3 years ago, with the aspirations of continuing on that team the next year. But, my average put them over the cap, and I was waitlisted.

2 years later, I get my call. Can't wait til Fall. Now what do I do? I now have commitments for Mon, Tues, Wed, and sub on Fri. Oh well, I can make dinner for the wife on Thurs. After all these years of me cooking, she will have to fend for herself. thumbsup
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#60789 - 07/04/08 11:40 AM Re: New league for me [Re: Dennis Michael]
desertdog71 Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 38/M/Independence, KS
I miss those leagues. Used to bowl a classic league back in the 80's it was $20 a night, so you can imagine the prize fund. I took home $1700 one year after sweeper.

Congrats on getting on finally.

#60790 - 07/04/08 11:48 AM Re: New league for me [Re: desertdog71]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

Called to confirm. They reshuffle he teams every year. Start with the top 28 bowlers, than assign the last 28. The rest get squeezed in the middle.

As it was explained, then they have to make some concessions, like relatives put on the same team, or guys who don't get along. There is like a trading period for a month to rebalance. So, I won't know who I bowl with until sometime in Aug. They just confirmed that I was a squeezee. Maybe the fact that I dropped 8 pins in average was a good thing. Time to recover.

I was told a top bowler in the league went home with over $2400 from team and personal points.

#60791 - 07/04/08 11:53 AM Re: New league for me [Re: Dennis Michael]
desertdog71 Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 38/M/Independence, KS
Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael
I was told a top bowler in the league went home with over $2400 from team and personal points.

I believe Kosmo Kramer said it best "That's some sweet action!"

#60796 - 07/04/08 12:36 PM Re: New league for me [Re: desertdog71]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Yep, you start paying $20 - $30 a week and it adds up. If you are lucky enough to get on a top team you can bring home some serious cash. Years ago, I was in such a league and low man in our team, but our team won. We were paying $20/week. And I took home $1000 cash at the end. My teamates that also had such awards as high average, series and game, took home more, but it was a great league. I guess any league that you win is great!! LOL

Just as long as they don't start making exceptions for buddies that want to bowl together and end up over the cap. We have a 630 trios scratch and somehow they let two of the teams come in at over 650! Anyway, I understand now (half way through the summer) that they've reshuffled to get the teams back under 630.

Good luck Dennis and I know you'll keep us posted.

Erin

#60798 - 07/04/08 12:53 PM Re: New league for me [Re: Atochabsh]
Brandon510 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 28/Male/California/Philippines
We have one at my Center in the Winter Season called Patton 1055 Classic. 5 Person Team $30 Week and lots of side pots to get involved in every night. I myself never have bowled but have had friends who bowled it. I went and watch a few times. One of my friends placed second came away about $2000.

Good Luck Dennis and Congrats finally being able to bowl it after 2 year wait.

BowlSk: Stats

#60813 - 07/04/08 03:40 PM Re: New league for me [Re: Brandon510]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

Erin, the last time I did this was in 197X. I was finished with college, and I bowled in the South side classic at Beverly Lanes. It's is closer to General Pounder, than me. Well, only the top half got any payback. The bottom half, bowlers and teams got zilch. There were 100 bowlers, I was 54 with a 204 average, which was pretty respectable on wood lanes with rubber balls.

That was soooooo long ago. I'm itching to get back into this competition.

BTW, It is common for most leagues to pay $20 per week here. I think this one is $25. Or, it was last year. My return has usually paid for whatever I paid.

Brandon, I started hanging out on Mon, just watching. And, I found I knew a few bowlers, who introduced me to others. This is also the house where I practice PBA, so I am getting to know a few more people. For the most part, I don't remember a pot game announced where the winner was under 260. Did see a few 300's.

But, I got one too. And this will be an easier shot. Can you tell that I am excited?

#60816 - 07/04/08 04:01 PM Re: New league for me [Re: Dennis Michael]
Richie V. Offline
Virtual League Secretary,
Virtual League Champion x4

A/S/L: 52/M/Brockton, MA
Dennis, this league sounds like it's a lot like the Coke Classic League here...good luck with it. laugh
IQ Tour Fusion
Reign of Fire
Tropical Breeze
Fast
T-Zone

Career Highs
Avg.: 197 (Summer 2008)
Book: 186
Series: 707
Game: 288

Current
Brunswick Mixed - Avg: 168 HS: 615 HG: 255
Composite avg. (w/ Sun. night sub): 170

The Tenth Board: My bowling blog
Richie's BowlSK profile

#60856 - 07/05/08 09:47 AM Re: New league for me [Re: Dennis Michael]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Dennis, just remember you don't have to shoot more than your average for at least the first month, or else you will get booted and not be able to bowl next year if you average 250 or something.

Get a new ball at Christmas and blame your good bowling after that on the new ball and the wonders of modern ball technology laugh

Edited by CoachJim (07/05/08 09:48 AM)

#60857 - 07/05/08 09:59 AM Re: New league for me [Re: CoachJim]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

I don't think I have to worry about 250. I did average 18 pins higher in the last quarter over the first three, which still netted to an underachievement. And, I am continuing that over the Summer.

I am looking forward to the competition level this league provides. You just bowl better with better bowlers. Your focus, concentration, and technique improve by being among them.

The surprising thing was the wife replayed the message from the center, and she was more excited than I was. What a super athletic supporter!!! She is great.

In fact, best one I ever had.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
What to do?
by Mkirchie - 02/01/20 07:45 AM
Plugging balance holes
by Dennis Michael - 01/29/20 01:20 AM
The price of new bowling balls
by Dennis Michael - 01/28/20 06:14 PM
This is a damned shame
by Mkirchie - 01/26/20 05:10 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.