BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#60277 - 06/28/08 08:17 AM Game to Game transition
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
One thing has been bothering me. And, now that I am conscious of it, I am concentrating on it. I would like your thoughts.

There is a natural break between games on league night. Bowlers are looking at scores. Captains are filling out the score sheets. Some go for a drink.

But, I have noticed that this break sometimes causes a change in my focus, resulting in a first ball that could be drastically different than my last ball of the prior game.

I am a bowler of habit, and can repeat shot after shot. When I get into a rhythm, I can and have strung strikes. But, that break between games sometimes stops the string. I have struck out in the 10th, only to have my speed or timing off in the first of the next game.

Assuming you are not in a league that changes lanes, there should be very little difference between your last shot and the first of the next game. The lane didn't change, I did.

Just wondering what some of you do to maintain your focus, speed and timing over that break period.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#60281 - 06/28/08 10:36 AM Re: Game to Game transition [Re: Dennis Michael]
desertdog71 Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 38/M/Independence, KS
pre-shot routine every time. That is about all I can suggest. I don't think much about the actual bowling between frames, unless I am completely lost.

#60282 - 06/28/08 10:38 AM Re: Game to Game transition [Re: Dennis Michael]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Sometimes I go the opposite way, not finish a game good, but start the next game good. I use this as a time to regroup, think about what I want to do and visualize my shot.

If I'm bowling lead-off the only break I have is waiting for everyone else to finish and the last of the scores are being recorded. Once the scorers are set for the next game I'll get on the lane and do my thing. If I have to wait for others I just do what I described previously.

This game does have a rhythm to it, just look at the Pros on TV, starting with the front 5 or 6 and then a commercial break and come back and the first shot is slightly off.
HS:763

#60284 - 06/28/08 11:12 AM Re: Game to Game transition [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Brandon510 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 28/Male/California/Philippines
I use the time to regroup and focus. I also will make adjustment as needed from last shot i threw the last game.

Most of the time i'm able to refocus and keep loose during the break and make a quality shot. Though i have seen people shoot a 300 the first game. Have a long break cause all of congrats and stuff and next game shoot a 170. So hard when you brake out of that rhythm.

BowlSk: Stats

#60306 - 06/28/08 05:58 PM Re: Game to Game transition [Re: Brandon510]
untutored Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 35/m/arizona
Do you bowl first on your team? The lanes take about two frames worth of traffic in the 10th frame, so that might contribute to your difficulties.

Anyway, we have the same problem here, obviously; probably more so since we aren't allowed to smoke inside. As a muscle bowler, I benefit from a quicker pace as much as anybody, but I haven't seen a huge difference.

One thing I try to do when I'm faced with small disruptions is avoid amplifying them with negative thoughts. In this case, you might want to think of the first frame this way: if you throw a strike there, how much is it really worth?

(9/ on that frame, strikes the rest of the way)

10th frame, 3rd shot: 299
1st frame: 290
10th frame, 2nd shot: 289

2nd frame: 280
others: 279

It stands to reason that those three shots are where you should welcome disruption if you're going to have it. For me, the end of the 10th frame is where I often wait to try out a new ball on a different line, with the idea that--if I like the look of the shot--I'll have another 'practice frame' at the beginning of the next game, and then I'll have a better chance to throw strikes in the second frame and forward, where it really counts.

Even if you don't like to change balls, 90% of the time there's no excuse for throwing three strikes in the 10th frame on the same line. Move your feet a board on the third shot, change your target, test the edge of your line in anticipation of a move later...since you're going to be disrupted anyway, take advantage of the opportunity to learn something about the conditions.

Edited by untutored (06/28/08 06:00 PM)

#60308 - 06/28/08 06:15 PM Re: Game to Game transition [Re: untutored]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

There is always a reason to stay on the same line you know you can get to the pocket and throw three strikes in the tenth, the score. Whether you are up 30 or down 50 in that game. That one pin might come into play for total. It could also get into the other teams head that you can preform if need be and possible make them make mistakes trying to score. There have been many of nights that I can stay on the same line almost the whole night and just rip the rack apart, why try something different and possibly throw the rhythm off? As for changing balls, I do that if and when I know I need to, I don't wait when I know I need it, or I wait until I'm certain I need to, whether its first frame, tenth frame or seventh frame. Testing lines out is for practice not when the scorers are keeping score.

#60309 - 06/28/08 06:37 PM Re: Game to Game transition [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Silent Mike Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 39/M/Poconos PA
I run into the same problem Dennis. I will string strikes to finish a game then in that waiting time for the game to be over and the new one to start I lose focus some times. For me at my local lanes they can change quick so I watch the people after me to see what they are doing. What I'll normally TRY to do is move my starting position to the left a few boards and try hitting my same mark and work from there. I think it's more of a focus issue on my part and I have yet to find a great way to beat it.
Storm - Natural

#60321 - 06/28/08 10:30 PM Re: Game to Game transition [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
untutored Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 35/m/arizona
Originally Posted By: infernocal
There is always a reason to stay on the same line you know you can get to the pocket and throw three strikes in the tenth, the score. Whether you are up 30 or down 50 in that game. That one pin might come into play for total.

Sure, but what if you learn you have no room to miss inside, and that helps you shoot 20 pins better in the next game than you would have otherwise? I'm not advising you throw that pin away, I'm saying you should spend it to acquire useful information.

There have been many of nights that I can stay on the same line almost the whole night and just rip the rack apart, why try something different and possibly throw the rhythm off?

As Dennis is saying, your rhythm is gone anyway with the changeover.

As for changing balls, I do that if and when I know I need to, I don't wait when I know I need it, or I wait until I'm certain I need to, whether its first frame, tenth frame or seventh frame.

If I need to change, then I change, of course. But there are many times when my current shot is working fine, but I feel like another shot might work even better, and in those cases marginal cost definitely comes into play.

#60322 - 06/28/08 10:54 PM Re: Game to Game transition [Re: untutored]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

If you are nailing the pocket and carrying most of the shots why risk trying another line and possibly throwing off your mechanics? Shooting 20 pins higher can just be better Execution, making a spare or two more if you've missed some, or carrying another shot or two and just making the minor adjustments to your current line. The rhythm isn't necessarily gone with the break. Its all in how you approach it. If its a huge break there might be an issue, but sometimes this works to someone's advantage. It can work as a reset. Its a mental thing. I get more thrown off in a middle of a game when someone keeps disappearing in the middle of the game than the known break in between games.

#60329 - 06/29/08 03:19 AM Re: Game to Game transition [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
The problem I see is not a preshot routine, which I have. Or the line that I have just struck on. It is the lapse of time between balls that will affect my timing and speed.
This is something that you feel. As untutored said, it is the rhythm.

I want to make sure my steps are right, my timing and speed stays just where my last shot was.

I can remember several occasions where I have put together more than 12 strikes over 2 games, but that doesn't seem to be the norm. I have been conscious of this, and I try to rethink just what the previous rhythm was, so I can continue. The majority of cases, I am too slow in the start the next game, and my first ball hits early.

I adjust, but it may take a frame or two.

FWIW, there is virtually no pressure on the 12th strike when it happens over 2 games. My longest string has been 19 over 2 games. Finished with 9 and started with 10. So it can be done. There was pressure on the 11th in that game.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by BOSStull - 06/01/20 07:47 PM
This is a damned shame
by Mkirchie - 06/01/20 06:49 AM
Quitting my League
by Mkirchie - 05/28/20 10:19 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.