BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#58651 - 06/06/08 07:42 PM Changing from Scorpion to Shark
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
My sports shot league is changing from the Scorpion to the Shark pattern. I'm right handed stroker with about medium speed, but I can also throw like a tweener. I throw a Cell and a Black Widow Solid. And I throw a Scout Reactive as a spare bowl, but I usually throw it at the 6 and 10 pin (and yes I throw it straight). Any recommendations on how to throw on the Shark?
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#58652 - 06/06/08 07:54 PM Re: Changing from Scorpion to Shark [Re: TheDemolitionMan]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Best bet is to start off straighter, going up the boards around the 12 board at first and then moving to make it work for you. Getting the ball outside of 10 is tricky and sometimes is rarely playable without plenty of time to burn a line into it.
HS:763

#58655 - 06/06/08 10:01 PM Re: Changing from Scorpion to Shark [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
spr3wr Offline
USBC Bronze Level Coach

A/S/L: 54/m/MICHIGAN

http://www.bowl.com/sportbowling/articleView.aspx?f=12&i=12807

de - Derek Eoff
cb - Chris Barnes

SHARK - (Length: 43 feet. Description: Desirable angle for bowlers is deep inside)
DE: How does the Shark pattern typically play?
CB: Because of the 43-foot oil length, the Shark pattern plays deep inside. Remember that on a long oil pattern such as the Shark, you want your break point closer to the pocket. Normally you can start in the track area, but sometimes you will need to start inside of 20. Some people can go straight up 7 or 8 board (i.e. Columbia 300 Classic champion Norm Duke in December 2006). That is rare and you have to be very good at throwing the ball straight.

DE: What's the ideal starting point for attacking the Shark pattern?
CB: Normally you could expect to start between the third and fourth arrows with a break point of 12 or 13 and move inside as the day goes on. The back of the lane won't open up as much, so you'll need to open up the front and middle parts of the lane.

DE: How does the Shark pattern typically break down?
CB: This pattern is pretty slick, so it may take a few games for it to break down. Keep moving inside as the Shark breaks down.

DE: What kind of bowling balls do you like to use on this pattern?
CB: You're asking the wrong guy. I still haven't figured that out. I tend to use high flare, high response (aggressive) balls that push through the heads and make a good move down lane. The flare helps the ball read the lane and the high response works well because there is a short distance for the ball to hook and get through the pins due to the pattern length.

DE: What are your tips for playing the Shark pattern?

CB: The key is to be soft with your ball speed to give the ball time to roll, but be careful not to get the ball rolling too early because it can run out of energy too soon. Use more axis rotation and keep the ball on line through the front without using too much ball speed. Bowlers with slower ball speed and medium rev rates have the most success on the Shark. This is a low scoring pattern; making spares is important because strikes can be few and far between

Edited by spr3wr (06/06/08 10:06 PM)
High series 810
Current ave. 213

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plastic or Urethane?
by LindaDelcamp - 11/12/19 03:19 PM
Good morning everyone...
by Mkirchie - 11/10/19 09:52 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.