BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#58061 - 05/30/08 03:59 PM "Pocket" Shots
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
What do you consider a pocket shot?

A shot that knocks down, for a righty, the 1-2-3-5-and 6 pins, by hitting the 1-3? Is it more subjective than that? What if you get a bucket crumbler off the wall? If I leave a 4-9, was that a pocket shot? What if it was high, but less angle, vs. deep in the pocket, but with too much angle? What about an 8-10?

Discarding brooklyn strikes, is there a way you can say "These pins were knocked down, therefore it was a pocket hit"? Or better yet, is there some way to say "This pin is up, therefore it was not a pocket hit"?

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#58062 - 05/30/08 04:08 PM Re: "Pocket" Shots [Re: cgeorg]
sixbagger Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: Indiana
WOW - I was thinking about this exact same thing earlier today! I guess after seeing all the debate about entry angles and what not I wanted to know - what the perfect strike looked like so that I would know when I hit one and know what to strive for.

I was searching for "prefect strike" on utube wanting to see it in action.

Most of what I found was a bunch of junk, but this one didnt look too bad.

As for the term pocket shot - I always thought if I hit between the 1 and 3 I was in the pocket. more of the 1 I was high more of the 3 I was low ...

#58066 - 05/30/08 04:18 PM Re: "Pocket" Shots [Re: sixbagger]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
Here's the example I brought up to CG to begin this -

Last light I left a lot of 3 pins. The ball got back enough to not leave a 9 pin, but it was still light enough to leave a 3. What is that considered? Pocket or no?

#58067 - 05/30/08 04:58 PM Re: "Pocket" Shots [Re: Lefty]
Matrix900 Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 32/m/Canton, OH
If you hit your respective pocket (1-3 righty or 1-2 lefty) that is considered a "pocket" shot. It doesn't matter if you come in behind the head pin, as long as you hit the 1-3 (righty) pocket, it should be considered a pocket shot. You either miss the pocket,hit light, hit solid,or hit high.
15lb White Dot

Current Avg 201

Career
Game - 288
Series - 755

Season
Game - 255
Series - 660

#58068 - 05/30/08 05:12 PM Re: "Pocket" Shots [Re: Lefty]
Mkirchie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 38/M/New Jersey
I think that as long as the ball makes contact with either the 1-3 for a righty or a 1-2 for the lefties, you did hit the pocket, but, as we all know, there are just different ways to hit the pocket. Also, as we know, some definitely work better than others. The goal, of course, is to hit the pocket flush because it does give the best strike percentage, so we adjust to try to get that flush hit knowing that carrying light or high is a bit of a good break and won't happen every time we hit the pocket that way.

It's like a baseball player who hit a pop-up or slow grounder and manages to not get thrown out. He still hit the ball, but not as good as he would have liked to; he wants to hit the ball square in the same way that we want a flush pocket hit.

Mark

#58070 - 05/30/08 05:41 PM Re: "Pocket" Shots [Re: cgeorg]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
I and many others consider a pocket shot as when the ball makes contact with the 1,3, and has enough power to take out the 5 (1,2 and 5 for lefties).

Light pocket strikes that carry the "[censored] Weber wall shot" where the 4,5 and 7 fall or a "bucket crumbler" where the 2,4,5 and or 8 get taken out by the head pin and 7 pin are still considered pocket shots because the ball hit the 1 and 3 but still struck even though the ball didn't take out the 5.

I can't think of many multi pin leaves that aren't splits that are pocket shots. I don't consider a 6 pin for right handers or 4 pin for left handers being left by a pocket hit unless there is a freak occurrence where the pin mysteriously stands for some reason, but by and large these pins and combinations 6,10 or 4,7 are left by flush headpin hits where a split was narrowly avoided.

#58073 - 05/30/08 08:28 PM Re: "Pocket" Shots [Re: CoachJim]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
so Jim, you'd say, for a righty, a shot where the 1, 3, 5, and 6 pins are down is a pocket shot? (as long as it wasn't brooklyn

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#58077 - 05/30/08 09:03 PM Re: "Pocket" Shots [Re: cgeorg]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Like many others, I believe "hitting" the pocket is hitting the 1-3 for righties and 1-2 for lefties and then there is the quality of the pocket shot. Depending on where the ball makes contact with either the 1-2 or 1-3 and the pins left standing I might not consider some hits on the 1-3(for myself) as a pocket shot. If I hit extremely low, or extremely high, I won't say it was a pocket hit, even if I carried the whole rack, or broke up that split I almost left. Like Jim said, if I leave a 6 pin, which is extremely high and just barely catching the inside of the 3 thats not pocket.
HS:763

#58081 - 05/30/08 09:22 PM Re: "Pocket" Shots [Re: cgeorg]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
Originally Posted By: cgeorg
so Jim, you'd say, for a righty, a shot where the 1, 3, 5, and 6 pins are down is a pocket shot? (as long as it wasn't brooklyn

You could hit dead on the head pin and take all of those out too.

#58086 - 05/30/08 09:28 PM Re: "Pocket" Shots [Re: cgeorg]
desertdog71 Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 38/M/Independence, KS
Originally Posted By: cgeorg

Had a nose shot that took out the 1-2-5-8 only two weeks ago. Wanna talk about a bad leave.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - Today at 04:06 PM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.