BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#57547 - 05/25/08 11:02 AM Flattering and Frustrating at the same time.
desertdog71 Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 38/M/Independence, KS
So, I went and practiced at my local 10 lane house last night. I was trying to work out some issues with my timing and targeting. After about 7-8 frames I kind of figured out what I was doing wrong, and started banging the pocket pretty good, shot 202. Second game was about half decent and half still messed up. The problem was that despite missing my mark by 3-4 boards the ball would settle in and bang the pocket anyways. Shot 237, 228 for those games.

The whole time I am practicing, the owner is watching me bowl. I was making some small talk with him and commenting on how screwed up my game was. I had filled out a form inquiring about leagues next season and he apparently knew who I was, and asked if I would be interested in the Wednesday Night Mens League. I told him that was the league I was interested in, but I didn't know anybody on the league and would have to be placed with a team if they had a spot. He says, "That's not a problem, you are going to be anchor on my team"

I was kind of shocked. Here I was struggling like hell to try and correct what I felt was a major deficiency in my game, and what this guy was seeing was an anchor man for his team. I explained to him that it had been a long time since I had bowled regularly and that my game was totally screwed up. He didn't care, he said if my game was screwed up and I was shooting 200-plus that he would gladly use me on his team.

I am flattered that he asked me to bowl with him, and in the end I agreed to join his team, mostly because he seemed like a good guy, and the league is nearby. I am currently driving 80 miles each way for league play.

I am frustrated on the other hand that the highest average at that house is a 208 on what I consider a pretty easy and walled up shot. It will not do much for me competitive juices, but it just may be a fun way to spend a Wednesday Night. I will likely join another PBAX League in the Winter if they run it again at the other house I bowl. I really hope they run it again for Winter, it would be a shame if these PBAX leagues dwindled away like they seem to be. I guess people just don't want to be challenged. Its understandable, Joe Six Pack worked all day in the sun or snow, and he just wants to have a few beers and feel like he can score decent. I just hope there is enough demand for the higher levels of competition to keep these sport leagues going.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#57548 - 05/25/08 11:32 AM Re: Flattering and Frustrating at the same time. [Re: desertdog71]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill

So, it may work out well. Always good to befriend the owner. Some perks may come from that, such as practice time lower rates.

The PbaX leagues have fizzled around here. Going from 10 last year to 2. But, those 2 are full leagues. Looks like everyone gravitated to those 2 houses.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#57550 - 05/25/08 11:42 AM Re: Flattering and Frustrating at the same time. [Re: Dennis Michael]
desertdog71 Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 38/M/Independence, KS
Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael

So, it may work out well. Always good to befriend the owner. Some perks may come from that, such as practice time lower rates.

This is true, I did enjoy a Rolling Rock on the house last night, so no complaints there.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - 08/22/19 03:14 PM
2019 Summer Leagues
by Dennis Michael - 08/15/19 08:37 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Dennis Michael - 08/13/19 07:06 PM
Last Online 10 days ago
by BOSStull - 08/10/19 10:03 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.