BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#57087 - 05/21/08 02:46 AM 3 step approach and my highest game yet
z33Tec Offline
Junior

A/S/L: Rochester, NY
I was reading an article and it said that 3 step approaches are pretty much not seen by high average and professional bowlers. I've been using a 3 step approach since I got back into bowling and haven't really thought much about it until now. I've also read that it is recommended for seniors... at 22 years old I'm not quite a senior yet wink Would changing to a 4 or 5 step approach help me in any way? Am I hindering my game by using a 3 step approach?

On a side note, I bowled my highest game ever a few days ago. 213! Before that my highest was a 169. I managed to string together 6 strikes in a row from the middle of the game all the way to the end of the game. Previously I had not even gotten a turkey since I have gotten back into bowling. The 213 was bowled using my old straight shot and a house ball. I was quite excited to say the least. Never thought I would be seeing a score over 200, at least not yet.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#57089 - 05/21/08 03:58 AM Re: 3 step approach and my highest game yet [Re: z33Tec]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
z33tec, well something went right, but only for that game. You could easily add another step to your 3. It would give you more time for a natural armswing so it is not hurried. Generally, 3-steppers rush the foul line and don't have enough control. Not saying that's you, but in general.

With that said, we did have a 3-stepper roll a 300 in my Tues league, and he does carry a 210 average. So, some good bowling can be done with training and practice.

I am sure, if you got a coach, they would encourage you to change just to improve your timing.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#57096 - 05/21/08 07:32 AM Re: 3 step approach and my highest game yet [Re: z33Tec]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Z33tec, if you feel better starting off with the left foot, you could go to a 5 step delivery, just don't move the ball until after the second step starts forward.

#57111 - 05/21/08 09:07 AM Re: 3 step approach and my highest game yet [Re: CoachJim]
z33Tec Offline
Junior

Thanks for the input guys. I do feel more comfortable starting off with my left foot (at least that is what I am used to at the moment) so I will probably try to start taking a 5 step approach and see how that works out.

#57122 - 05/21/08 10:37 AM Re: 3 step approach and my highest game yet [Re: z33Tec]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

Don't forget to move back two steps from where you start off, you might even want to go up to the foul line turn around and place your heels on the dots in front of the foul line then take 5 and a half steps back and see where you should take your stance, make sure you take normal walking steps and not long stretched out steps.

#57123 - 05/21/08 10:52 AM Re: 3 step approach and my highest game yet [Re: CoachJim]
z33Tec Offline
Junior

I'll give that a shot, thanks. I am probably taking long strides right now with my 3 step approach. I usually stand a little infront of the dots I think. I am 6'3 though so it doesn't take much to get to the foul line wink

#57127 - 05/21/08 11:35 AM Re: 3 step approach and my highest game yet [Re: z33Tec]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

The front set of dots are for average height people the back set of dots are for tall people, just make sure you take normal steps, I figured that you were back by the dots even with 3 steps. I take 4 steps and start a foot or so in front of the front set of dots, with being on the tall side and going to 5 steps you will probably be be behind the front set of dots to just in front of the back set of dots.

#57128 - 05/21/08 12:01 PM Re: 3 step approach and my highest game yet [Re: z33Tec]
johnw1 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 66/m/Wynantskill/ny/usa
At age 22 you have a long bowling career ahead of you. A three step approach is a handicap in terms of timing and ball speed. I would recommend that you use the summer to learn the basic four step approach.

A three step approach properly done requires you to push the ball out and time your first step so that it is initiated when the ball is by your ankle in the downswing. Only a few bowlers have mastered the three step approach with any success. Hall of Famer Mike Durbin was one and there are a few power bowlers like Tommy Jones who use it when they are required to stand in front of the ball return.

The three step approach(if you are a right hander) requires you to step out on your left foot. To execute the four step approach position your feet so the toe of your right foot approximates the instep of your left foot. To start the four step approach your pushaway and your right foot move forward at the same time.

The benefits of the four step approach are that it is the easiest method of acquiring and maintaining good timing. Compared to the three step approach you should get a little more speed on the ball(naturally)because of increased momentum. With today's lane conditions and juiced-up balls, good ball speed is a necessity for consistently high scores.

#57173 - 05/22/08 03:42 AM Re: 3 step approach and my highest game yet [Re: z33Tec]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
You should definately give another approach a try. #-step approaches do sacrifice a bit of speed and timing but that doesn't mean tey can't be successful. However, it does sound like it is hurting you more than it's helping you. The tone of the one sentence in your first post suggests trouble with accuracy and stringing strikes.

On that note the 5-step is going to be a little weird once you start. I switched from a 4-step to a 5-step and that took a couple weeks to get used to. So be prepared for it to get a little worse before it gets a whole lot better. What I would suggest is to stand with your heels at the foul line and do a 4 or a 5-step approach but back towards the ball rack so you can see where you need to stand on the lane. LAtly, take about a half of a step back just to make sure that you don't cross the foul line on your slide.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#57349 - 05/23/08 02:20 PM Re: 3 step approach and my highest game yet [Re: TheDemolitionMan]
z33Tec Offline
Junior

I tried a 5 step approach out the other day and I really like it. It made my arm swing seem a bit more smooth and free. I'll be sticking with the 5 step approach now. Hopefully I can get a video to post up in the video section soon so that I can get some additional pointers. Thanks for all the help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 03:09 PM
Trying to keep my throw straight
by Dennis Michael - 11/14/18 11:23 AM
Ebonite Day at my Proshop
by Dennis Michael - 11/07/18 01:11 PM
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Dennis Michael - 11/03/18 10:05 AM
Gouges and scratches on bowling ball
by Dennis Michael - 10/31/18 11:54 AM
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by djp1080 - 10/22/18 10:42 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.