BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#57161 - 05/21/08 10:06 PM A few videos
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
I went out to the lanes today and decided to take a few videos on my cellphone just for my own use but I decided I'd put them on here. The session was mainly to work on my approach/foot work so I just threw my plastic straight or attempted to.

HS:763

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#57168 - 05/22/08 12:57 AM Re: A few videos [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
Your foot work looks pretty good. Sometimes it looks like you are charging and rushing the line. That's really the only thing that I see that is off.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#57171 - 05/22/08 03:13 AM Re: A few videos [Re: TheDemolitionMan]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Ball is too light, you seem to be overthrowing it. I agree with Demo, with the "charging" comment. Seems to me that you could slow the whole process down, get it more precis and consistent with a lower finish position (please). You have balance most of the time, which is fantastic! But when you have a lower weight ball and so much momentum is tough to finish as solidly as you'd want. A heavier ball is probably needed.

Erin

#57176 - 05/22/08 07:04 AM Re: A few videos [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
As I said in the other thread before I saw this, you are moving the ball before you start your feet and you are pushing the ball way out in front of you which is causing you to run to catch up with the ball.

From behind as you start the swing you lean to the right, step to the left to allow the ball to pass your right leg on the back swing. When you lean to the right like that the ball gets away from your body then you slide back to the right past your target line and then pull the ball back across your body toward your target line.

You need to slow your swing down as Erin said the ball might be so light that you are trying to control it too much a 15 or 16lb ball might be in order. Either that or it is going to feel like you are throwing the ball dirt slow, just let the ball swing your arm without helping it swing, you will find that if you are able to do this that your feet will magically slow down.

One drill you might try is to get your ball, lean against a wall on your non bowling side, place your slide foot in front of your non slide foot, put your hand in the ball and take your stance, lean against the wall, push the ball up slightly and let it drop into the swing, keep enough pressure against the wall so you will feel the ball swing from the shoulder instead of being swung by the shoulder. Do this drill several times, then bowl the same way, let the ball drop into the swing and just let it swing without help from your shoulder. Repeat this drill in between shots until your brain accepts the new muscle memory.

Post another video after you have learned to just let the ball swing from your shoulder without forcing it and we can go from there.

#57177 - 05/22/08 07:22 AM Re: A few videos [Re: Atochabsh]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Cal, knowing your line of work, and seeing this vid, things are making sense, when you say you have been having trouble this year. Your shoulder is controlling your swing. You are too strong for the ball. Your swing, your aim and targeting are coming from your shoulder. And, if your shoulder wants to roll your ball to the left, it will with minimal effort.

You need to learn to relax it, especially when you pick up speed on the second step. Each succeeding step is a little faster. And, your shoulder is getting your ball to match your ball swing to catch up to your feet.

Stop the 4th vid with your ball at the top of your backswing. Your head is farther right than the ball. Your shoulder has opened up, and the ball is behind you. Your shoulder makes a small loop to get the ball back to your side. In doing so, your arm comes across to the front of your body. You lost direction and your target line.

My take, a 14 pounder is too light. You could fling it to the pin deck if you wanted to.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#57179 - 05/22/08 07:33 AM Re: A few videos [Re: CoachJim]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
No one really addressed what I saw when I watched the video, so here goes. Note, I only watched 1 of them. I'm going based off that.

It seems to me that you are fitting the whole armswing into the last 3 steps of your delivery (typo'd that first as devilry.... hmmm). You push straight out (as Jim said) and the ball hovers there for a minute (muscle!). It doesn't start to fall until during your 2nd step. This is too late. This is what they went over at the USBC seminar:

When your right foot hits (first step in 4 step), the ball should already be in the swing. I'll say these in "clock face", looking at the bowler from the side. You have a pretty high backswing, so the arm should be pointing to 4:30 or so. You are still straight out to 3 at this point, holding the ball up with your right hand. When the left foot hits on the next step, your arm should be at 7 or 7:30. When your right foot hits again, your ball should be at the top of the swing, possibly on its way down. This should put you in position, with a free swing, to have the ball arrive at the release point right after your slide foot has stopped.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#57182 - 05/22/08 08:42 AM Re: A few videos [Re: cgeorg]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
I agree with the comments that said you're getting way ahead of the ball, controlling the armswing and that the ball appears to light for you because you're slinging it around like a marble.

Being as big as you are, you're going to have to not think of bowling as a power game. Think of it as a delicate finesse game. Think of the ball swinging free and gently. Think of being relaxed and letting the ball roll on to the lane gently. Going up a pound in weight will help with this as well.

I'm not as big as you, but I'm not small by any means. When I went down from 16 to 15, it took quite a while before I could really develop a feel for the ball again. It felt like there was nothing in my hand and I over threw the ball quite a bit. I still struggle with that actually. When I throw the ball well, I feel like I did absolutely nothing. Like I didn't use any arm muscles, and that there was nothing in my hand.

When you let the ball swing on it's own, you're going to feel like you just took a walk up to the foul line and didn't do much else. It will take some getting used to.

#57204 - 05/22/08 12:05 PM Re: A few videos [Re: Lefty]
NewYorkDave Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: M/NY
Cal, you look a lot like me! (Appearance-wise, I mean. I don't bowl nearly as well as you do).

I'm also a "big guy" who throws 14#, but I don't have Cal's arm strength so it's probably a good weight for me at this stage of the game.

#57219 - 05/22/08 03:14 PM Re: A few videos [Re: Lefty]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
Definately try a bit more finesse. I would actually throw my 15 pound ball too hard and I had to move up from 15 to 16 in order to get the right amount of smoothness and fluid motion in my shot. I'm not saying that you need to increase the weight of your balls, but what you might want to try is slow down a little. It will also help the timing in your footwork and armswing.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#57225 - 05/22/08 03:54 PM Re: A few videos [Re: TheDemolitionMan]
AmpleSound Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 34/M/CO
I don't know how much relevance this is, but I also notice that your elbow gets away from your body sometimes. My coach has caught me doing it so much that I can now feel when I do so quite easily. Though as others have stated, it could be the lack of "free" arm swing.
Columbia Plastic - (Spares/Dry)

My best:
HGS - 300
HSS - 769

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Friends made a dumb bet
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:50 PM
Difference between shammy & microfiber towel
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:49 PM
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - 11/19/19 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.