BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#56996 - 05/19/08 07:12 PM Plastic ball with 2 piece construction.
J_w73 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Northern CA
Are there any plastic balls out there that have a 2 piece construction? Something with a "real" core or weightblock. The only one that I know of is the Lane1 Buzzsaw XXXL. I don't want to spend $200 on a plastic ball but I think a plastic ball that will hit might be of use on bone dry lanes. Or maybe someone can suggest a low hooking urethane that has a strong core. I know these combinations probably wouldn't be popular... weak cover / stong core. My house shot tends to have virtually no oil left of 6 .. all of the oil is to the right of 5 or 6. When that burns up there aren't alot of choices.

Book Average 220

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#56997 - 05/19/08 08:53 PM Re: Plastic ball with 2 piece construction. [Re: J_w73]
Smooth Stroker Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 45/M/Long Island
If you want a plastic ball with a core and you don't want to spend the money that
Lane#1 costs, then check out the Storm clear plastic balls. They have a ball with a football inside it that should replicate the reaction you would get from the lane 1 ball. The core is shaped similar to the Lane diamond core. I don't think they sell them anymore but you can always find them on ebay if your local Pro Shop can't get them. They are a fraction of the cost of the Lane 1 ball.

IQ Tour Fusion
IQ Tour anniversary edition
Lights Out
Natural

USBC level 1 certified coach

#56999 - 05/19/08 09:53 PM Re: Plastic ball with 2 piece construction. [Re: Smooth Stroker]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Who's selling the XXXL for $200? I haven't seen it in any shops, I rarely go into them, but on several actual Pro shops that run websites they are selling for under $120 and is selling for $140 on Lane 1's site. The Liberator Urethane by Lane 1, is being sold in a few shops around me for $150-$170 drilled with Lane 1 selling them for $170. The Liberator isn't exactly low hooking though, at least OOB. You could also try to look around for a Visionary Slate Gargoyle. Its got a real core with a urethane cover but at times a little hard to find. Have you thought of possibly a Groove Urethane by Brunswick. It doesn't have a strong core, basically the same core as a spare ball just with a little more grip. I have one house that I bowl in that I can use either my Groove or plastic ball in from start to finish playing up 7 and still have to worry about running high.
HS:763

#57003 - 05/20/08 12:39 AM Re: Plastic ball with 2 piece construction. [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
J_w73 Offline
Legend

I guess it isn't $200.. I said that before I looked around.. There are a few on ebay for 130 shipped.. I take a look at your suggestions.. thanks.

Book Average 220

#57063 - 05/20/08 05:27 PM Re: Plastic ball with 2 piece construction. [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
J_w73 Offline
Legend

Originally Posted By: infernocal
Who's selling the XXXL for $200? I haven't seen it in any shops, I rarely go into them, but on several actual Pro shops that run websites they are selling for under $120 and is selling for $140 on Lane 1's site. The Liberator Urethane by Lane 1, is being sold in a few shops around me for $150-$170 drilled with Lane 1 selling them for $170. The Liberator isn't exactly low hooking though, at least OOB. You could also try to look around for a Visionary Slate Gargoyle. Its got a real core with a urethane cover but at times a little hard to find. Have you thought of possibly a Groove Urethane by Brunswick. It doesn't have a strong core, basically the same core as a spare ball just with a little more grip. I have one house that I bowl in that I can use either my Groove or plastic ball in from start to finish playing up 7 and still have to worry about running high.

I like the idea of the groove urethane. What about the powergroove DRY /R. looks like it has a pancake block with flip weights. I would drill it at 5 to 5 1/2 pin to pap. You think I would be able to use the DRY /R or the Urethane groove as a 10pin spare ball also. Trying to fill a spot in my arsenal and would like to kill two birds with one stone and lighten the amount of balls I have around.

Book Average 220

#57078 - 05/20/08 10:35 PM Re: Plastic ball with 2 piece construction. [Re: J_w73]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
The Groove I believe you can especially if you can stay behind the ball. The Dry/R might be a little tricker. I've never thrown one myself, thought of getting one a few times though. I've seen one person use it and it hooked a good bit, but on short/light oil in a warm center during the summer. The guy had about a speed of 14 mph so it had time but he was playing up 10 with it for the most part. I know I could use it for a 10 pin ball as I learned to throw all of my equipment straight by breaking the wrist back, sticking the pinkie out bringing the index finger against the middle finger and coming straight up the back of the ball.
HS:763

#57082 - 05/20/08 11:38 PM Re: Plastic ball with 2 piece construction. [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Satyuros Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 19/m/Alberta Canada
Actually storm has the perfect ball you might be looking for, their new Ice Storm. It has a weight block and a plastic cover, and it's the price of a spare ball. A cranker here locally brought two of them to a national tournament, haha. I'd give that a try, or try and find an old urethane ball.
Storm T-road Pearl
Ebonite Maxim Blazing Fire
Hammer Black Widow Venom
Morich Seek and Destroy(old)

High Single: 300
High Series: 747
League Average: 209

#57085 - 05/21/08 01:19 AM Re: Plastic ball with 2 piece construction. [Re: Satyuros]
J_w73 Offline
Legend

I can flatten out my ball pretty well . I used to never use a spare ball because I didn't want to lug it around.I would just use my strike ball and flatten my ball out. I started missing too many 10 pins so I started carrying my plastic. 10 pins were automatic with it so I kept using it.

Edited by J_w73 (05/21/08 01:40 AM)

Book Average 220

#57086 - 05/21/08 01:42 AM Re: Plastic ball with 2 piece construction. [Re: J_w73]
J_w73 Offline
Legend

Do you have any specs on the weight block? I looked on the website and it looks just like a pancake block plastic spare ball.

Book Average 220

#57114 - 05/21/08 09:30 AM Re: Plastic ball with 2 piece construction. [Re: J_w73]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
A few weeks ago, I found an undrilled Red Pearl Hammer on ebay. If it would have been the blue I would have bought it in a heartbeat. Check ebay and craigslist. You maybe able to find something. Also, call around to Pro Shops. They may have something stored in the back. If you know any ball warehouses, call there too. They may have something stored in a corner.

Years ago I was in St. Louis with friends of mine getting balls drilled up. John Wonders walked into the alley (he started Faball). One of the guys with us was buying 2 different Hammer balls. John asked him a few questions and my buddy Joe goes: I'd like to find a Pink Hammer but no one has them anymore. John went out to his car and grabbed a box out of his trunk. Undrilled 16 pound Pink Hammer. He gave it to my buddy and said: Keep buying Hammer. That is the only ball company he has owned since.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Any interest in a winter virtual league?
by SteveH - Yesterday at 10:22 PM
Nothing worse than falling apart late in a game
by Jason_C - Yesterday at 10:04 PM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 09:15 PM
Which ball
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 06:18 PM
Entry Angle
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 12:09 PM
Honor scores 2017-18
by Fin09 - 11/17/17 07:27 PM
My low track
by Jason_C - 11/17/17 01:38 PM
Back-up Bowling
by djp1080 - 11/16/17 08:31 PM
Has this happenned to any one
by 82Boat69 - 11/14/17 01:24 PM
Two handed with pinky and ring
by Dylan585 - 11/13/17 02:48 PM
2017 U.S. Open
by Dylan585 - 11/12/17 05:48 PM
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by SteveH - 11/05/17 09:51 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2017 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.