BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#56939 - 05/18/08 08:32 PM Re: What Are You Going To Work On This Summer? [Re: CoachJim]
Brandon510 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 28/Male/California/Philippines
Originally Posted By: CoachJim
Brandon, when is your first lesson with your coach? Let me know how it goes and what he/she has you work on.

Increasing your spare % will boost your bad nights and keep you over 550 instead of 500 or lower these bad nights are what kills averages keeping them not so bad is how you increase your average.

Sticking to your game plan and remembering where to stand and aim at is also an area you need to work on, then adjusting properly off of that line when it burns up is another area you need to work on.

I look forward to hearing about your first lesson, I hope it goes well.

Jim,
I have Coaching Session scheduled for friday june 6th. So hopefully i work on what he has me work on after that session. Then schedule a follow up meeting in two-four weeks.

Yeah Spares killed me this season. About 90% of the time i leave makeable spares. Its failing to covert them that has cost me. I think this year i average about 2 opens per game. 66 pins a night.

Im hoping coach goes over adjustments too. I know someone adjustments but need to fine tune them more. Gotta stick to the game plan and adjust properly. I tend to tighten my line up sometimes when i move inside. Got some major work ahead of me this summer but ready for the challenge.
BowlSk: Stats

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#56941 - 05/18/08 08:42 PM Re: What Are You Going To Work On This Summer? [Re: CoachJim]
tbill Offline
Touring Pro Contender

A/S/L: 42/m/ny
tbill, it sounds like you have grip issues and like to control the ball to the pocket instead of just letting it go. I may be wrong as I don't remember having seen you bowl, I am just going off how you describe your game and your attitude towards it.

Bowling is a lot like cracking a bull whip, if you try to control the whip you will never hear that loud crack.

jim, funny you should mention the 'control issue', because if i let the ball do it's thing, and trust that it's gonna go where i throw it, i'm fine. but i do have times where i feel i have to force the ball, why, i don't know, but if i let it do what it do, it works out.

probably the biggest help i have had so far, is reading an article in the local bowling press by cliff saliba, he stresses a free arm swing, and since reading it, it is something i try to do. and i found while doing so, the ball feels like an extension of my hand, almost like it isn't even there.

i also have come to realise a certain comfort level, if 'it' doesn't feel right, i'll step off the approach, spin the ball on my shirt, put my fingers in, get a comfortable grip, and step onto my 'foot mark', set myself, then start my approach. although i'm a novice at bowling, when it goes right, i can call a strike as soon as it leaves my hand [i know you know the 'feel'], my spares are the same, i know as soon as it leaves my hand if i made it or not.

all of my snafu's are mental, i either get lazy, or excited, which plays hell with the game.
working on all of them......

track 930T [15]

member of the mooseknuckles winter vl team

#56942 - 05/18/08 08:47 PM Re: What Are You Going To Work On This Summer? [Re: tbill]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
tbill, do you have aspirations to improve, or are you happy with where you are?

#56943 - 05/18/08 08:54 PM Re: What Are You Going To Work On This Summer? [Re: tbill]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Tbill, thats one thing I rarely do, step back if something doesn't feel right when I'm set up. Usually its with holding the ball so hopefully that will be fixed and happen less and less. As for calling strikes off the hand on something that feel like it all went right, well I've done that a few times and it not happen. This happened the last night of my Saturday league. The ball felt like it came off the hand clean, rolled over my target, hit the breakpoint and I felt so good about the shot at that point that I turned and started to walk to the back of the approach heard the pins hit and it sounded good and turned around as my anchor bowler yelled an expletive deleted and several guys 3 pairs down gave me the double thumbs up to see the 8-10 split staring back at me.
HS:763

#56944 - 05/18/08 08:57 PM Re: What Are You Going To Work On This Summer? [Re: CoachJim]
tbill Offline
Touring Pro Contender

tbill, do you have aspirations to improve, or are you happy with where you are?

i want to improve, as i see flashes of good bowling, BUT, i also know i cannot go further untill i can be consistant with hitting my mark, cause if i can't hit the same spot, how do i know if i gotta move?

track 930T [15]

#56947 - 05/18/08 09:13 PM Re: What Are You Going To Work On This Summer? [Re: tbill]
yeehayashi
Unregistered

tbill, i usually sense when a move is necessary if my armswing, balance and timing feel good but the ball goes high or brooklyn or if the ball sails light or wide right on the first ball of a couple frames. I'll adjust by moving 2 or 3 boards in the direction I'm missing.

If I'm rolling the ball & hitting my target breakpoint but leaving 10 pins, I'll move an inch or so up or back on the approach. I try not to be stubborn by continuing to throw from the same spot if I see I'm missing the target in a consistent direction for more than 2 frames. The lanes are giving me clues on where I need to get lined up in order to reach the pocket.

#56965 - 05/19/08 08:14 AM Re: What Are You Going To Work On This Summer? [Re: tbill]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

Quote:
i want to improve, as i see flashes of good bowling, BUT, i also know i cannot go further untill i can be consistant with hitting my mark, cause if i can't hit the same spot, how do i know if i gotta move?

This is why you need a coach, there are many many reasons you are missing your mark, the least of which is concentration or focus on your target. Once you start your armswing the aiming is over, you can close your eyes and if your fundamentals are sound then you will split what ever board you were aiming at in half. Any aiming or controlling the ball after the start of the swing is detrimental to your game and you need to work on your fundamentals if you want to hit your target.

#56966 - 05/19/08 08:23 AM Re: What Are You Going To Work On This Summer? [Re: ]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

yeehayashi, moving forward or backward an inch doesn't do anything for you physically it might be more of a mental adjustment that is making you take a little speed off or add a little speed to the shot.

Moving forward shortens the distance of your approach and slows your feet down and slows the ball down unless you were finishing 2 feet or so behind the foul line and then only finishing 1 foot behind the foul line then your ball will hook one foot farther down the lane, but all of people who finish 4 to 6 inches behind the foul line will slow down by moving forward or speed up by moving back and still end up in the same distance from the foul line.

The only time I recommend moving forward or backward with your set up is when adjusting ball speed, if I want to throw the ball faster hold the ball higher I move backward the same distance that I raise the ball in my stance and the opposite if I am slowing the ball down.

#56973 - 05/19/08 11:07 AM Re: What Are You Going To Work On This Summer? [Re: CoachJim]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
Here is what I plan to do this summer.

1) Bowl sport league.
2) Work on getting comfortable with my new span/no grips.
3) Gain some of the revs back that I lost when I got rid of the grips.
4) Gain confidence in my surgically repaired knee.
5) Have fun.

It's been almost a year since I have bowled on a weekly basis. I am looking forward to getting back into the swing of things.

#56989 - 05/19/08 05:44 PM Re: What Are You Going To Work On This Summer? [Re: General Pounder]
tbill Offline
Touring Pro Contender

jim, most definitly a coach is needed, i'll have to look and see who/what is available close to my area [i'm kinda in the sticks]. so far, i've been depending on team mates to point things out, and what i've been able to absorb from reading here.

track 930T [15]

Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/16/18 09:27 PM
Help with grip/ Thumb Position
by 82Boat69 - 07/15/18 08:11 PM
End of Days
by Dennis Michael - 07/15/18 07:34 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by Richie V. - 07/10/18 12:19 PM
what will become of AMF
by Dennis Michael - 07/09/18 07:13 AM
I'll try again
by Dennis Michael - 07/06/18 12:32 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by 6_ball_man - 07/06/18 08:44 AM
Bowling ball colors
by BOSStull - 07/04/18 10:28 AM
Tiered Tape...
by BOSStull - 06/30/18 11:33 AM
no one on for 5 days
by steveA - 06/22/18 04:31 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.