BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#56850 - 05/17/08 06:53 PM What you see is not necessarily what you get..
johnw1 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 66/m/Wynantskill/ny/usa
Each year at the end of the bowling season I purchase a new ball with the winnings of my two leagues. The ball I selected this year was the Brunswick Twisted Fury. The ball has received favorable reviews by pros and amateurs alike and had earned a reputation for being very predictable. One of the things that attracted me to this ball was in advertisements it appeared to have a very thick coverstock as shown in a cross section of the ball unlike today's trend in thin coverstocks. So after drilling it became apparent that the coverstock on the Twisted Fury was not like in the advertisements but had the thin 1/2 inch thick coverstock that I was trying to avoid. Is Brunswick guilty of false advertising?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#56854 - 05/17/08 08:00 PM Re: What you see is not necessarily what you get.. [Re: johnw1]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
I think generally you cannot go by those split drawings, especially when gauging cover thickness or actual core size.

Right now the Twisted has a $20 rebate. Make sure you get the information from your Pro Shop or where ever you bought it.

Erin

#56857 - 05/17/08 08:31 PM Re: What you see is not necessarily what you get.. [Re: Atochabsh]
johnw1 Offline
High Roller

The Twisted Fury as presented in the Brunswick advertisement featured a cross section of the ball. The ball appeared to be similar to the type of coverstock in a Legends or Lanemasters ball where the coverstock extends right down to the core with no filler material between the core and the coverstock. So imagine my surprise when after drilling I discovered that the ball had a 1/2 inch thick cover with white filler exposed in the fingers and the wt hole.

I did mention this to my driller and he said that he would bring the subject up when he meets with the Morich rep in a seminar next month. He said Morich and Brunswick are connected.

#56868 - 05/17/08 10:29 PM Re: What you see is not necessarily what you get.. [Re: johnw1]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
johnw1, I don't think there is another manufacturer who puts as much resin in their balls as Lane Masters. Most, as you found out, use filler material.

In fact, at the Lane Masters Booth at Nationals, the people there proudly said "we have as much as 11 pounds of resin in the ball". Probably accounts for their slightly premium price too.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#56871 - 05/17/08 11:00 PM Re: What you see is not necessarily what you get.. [Re: Dennis Michael]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Thats what one driller told me about the price difference at most shops between Lane Masters and the more mainstream companies. Lane Masters are almost all coverstock which gets expensive. I once heard Banger and maybe Visionary use a little less filler, but I'm not sure about Visionary because their equipment is usually better priced.

On the part about the Twisted Fury. The only cut away I saw of it was on ball review .com and I can see that the cover stock does not go all the way to the twisted core but it looks like a bowl with the core sitting in it. It doesn't show the filler so the actual core can be seen better. If that is the same type of cut away you have seen then no there is no false advertising.
HS:763

#56878 - 05/17/08 11:40 PM Re: What you see is not necessarily what you get.. [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
johnw1 Offline
High Roller

I am going to try and meet with my driller and confirm what I suspect - that there is something not kosher with the Twisted Fury I purchased. I shape my own thumbholes after my driller installs the thumbslug. While shaping the thumbhole I had to clear out the sanded particles from the hole by banging the ball on the floor with the thumbhole facing the floor. White powder kept pouring out of the thumbhole. The thumbslug is green. Down at the bottom of the thumbhole was a 1/4 inch hole that extended to the center of the ball. The walls of the hole were white like the filler I previously mentioned. Where was the 5 lb core that a 15 lb Twisted Fury was supposed to have? I measured the depth of the hole which was 4 inches deep or 1/2 inch from the center of the ball.

Mystery - Where is the core and where did the 1/4 inch wormhole come from? The Twisted Fury was manufactured in Mexico and who knows how quality control is down there.

#56893 - 05/18/08 09:32 AM Re: What you see is not necessarily what you get.. [Re: johnw1]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Not too long ago all reactive balls were two piece balls and had the coverstock go all the way to the core. Ebonite did a study a few years ago (maybe 5 years ago), and found that a two piece ball with the coverstock all the way to the core has a lower coefficient of restitution when hitting the pins, meaning the ball doesn't have as much "give" upon impact, where a ball with a less dense outer core material like most balls have these days creates a spring board type effect when it hits the pins which is supposed to create more pin action. At least that is the theory behind it as well as holding down the cost, but it does add an extra step in the process of making the ball, so I am not sure exactly how much that really saves them.

By the way Legends is the only Manufacturer that still makes balls with two piece design, Lane Masters stopped doing this with their last two releases.

Edited by CoachJim (05/18/08 09:33 AM)

#56895 - 05/18/08 09:47 AM Re: What you see is not necessarily what you get.. [Re: CoachJim]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Lane Masters also stopped packaging a ball ring, a bottle of their cleaner, a bottle of their polish and a micro fiber ball tote in the ball box too. Their only ball to continue this practice is the Terminator line.

Another cost reduction?

Their newer balls, Black Pearl, and the pearl reactive, and the Sting have seen the 3 step process I believe.

There is a lot to be said for the way these balls hit. All of the ones I have hit really hard. But, there have been times where the ball goes right through the middle on a slightly high hit, leaving really ugly leaves. More splash would be appreciated at times.

In a way, the filler acts like cork in a baseball bat for more pop.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#56898 - 05/18/08 10:09 AM Re: What you see is not necessarily what you get.. [Re: Dennis Michael]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
I've read on the forums of another website where a guy had a similar issue with the Brunswick Red Zone, I think it might have been pre-move to Mexico. His Pro Shop had a Brunswick rep come and look at it and said it shouldn't be a problem. Now whether or not that is true is a different story. I've never had the problem with any of my Brunswick balls and I believe the Fury was one of the first out of that plant.
HS:763

#56904 - 05/18/08 11:18 AM Re: What you see is not necessarily what you get.. [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
You are being paranoid.

http://www.brunswickbowling.com/twisted-fury

Look at the picture. It is not solid coverstock down to the core. See the little white thing coming out of the side? Asymmetrical weight blocks have a second "pin" which, like the standard pin, is removed from the weight block during the construction of the ball. Your driller probably drilled the thumbhole right over that spot.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plugging balance holes
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:27 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:20 PM
2020 Nationals
by Doogie - 03/20/20 10:30 AM
This is a damned shame
by 82Boat69 - 03/17/20 07:48 PM
Belmo and the 2020 US Open
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:45 PM
COVID-10 and center closings
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:39 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.