BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#56649 - 05/15/08 12:18 AM new lanes
Arthur Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: Memphis
Our bowling center is switching from older wooden lanes to brunswick pro lanes (Synthetics) Their saying its fairly top of the line.

But my question comes down to bowling balls. I don't belive i have ever bowled on a League ready synthetic lane, So i basically have no clue what to expect. I currently throw from 25-30 board out to the 20 at the arrows out to about the 5-7 board and back i honestly couldnt tell you how far the break point is from the pins. but its not super aggressive left turn. I hit the pocket hard and with a pretty good angle. Im around a 200 avg bowler and have only been bowling for about a year and a half. So on the adjustments front i have a lot to still learn.

Im wondering what kind of adjustment to a bowling ball is needed in order to try and get back to my base line on a fresh House shot but not on synthetic. Is it as simple as adjusting cover stock? or maybe going ahead and getting a new ball made for the differnt surface.

My current Balls are

15lb Cell
15lb AZO Ultra Radical Pearl (Actually seems to be too aggressive and leave 9 pins from the ball just blasting right thru the pocket)
15lb No mercy (Not a beatin has probably only 30 games on it Drilled up for when the lanes have almost no oil)

I appreciate any advice on balls or even if somebody has dealt with it within their own house. Their starting the changover here at the end of may and doing a pair a day so the side of the bowling alley we bowl on will be done within 2 weeks. So im not even sure if i can practice on them before im lining up to bowl on league night.
675+series- - - ---782 first ever 700 series series
190+avg- - -- - -- 185 avg (moving up almost weekly)
---------------------------------

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#56658 - 05/15/08 07:34 AM Re: new lanes [Re: Arthur]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
First off, you should match your line to the shot, not the other way around. It is bad to get up there thinking "Ok, how can I throw over 20 out to 7 and get a strike". You want to throw whatever shot the lane is telling you you need to.

Your arsenal is lacking any sort of benchmark medium oil ball. A No mercy drilled for no oil? The No Mercy is a heavy oil ball! So is the Cell! The Ultra Radical is probably better on a broken down house shot, but for fresh, you'll usually want something with a little more surface, like a mid-range solid reactive or particle pearl.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#56675 - 05/15/08 10:53 AM Re: new lanes [Re: cgeorg]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
I'll have to agree with Cgeorg, as many others will do. You can't use the same line at every center. Some use more oil, some less, some have different synthetics that cause more or less friction, some will be worn more from more use and less worn from less use. This agreement is also on his recommendation to get a medium oil ball.

In general though, synthetics tend to have less friction than wood and the oil holds up better as the wood can and will absorb the oil while it just sits on synthetics and moves around with the bowling balls the only thing absorbing the oil.

As for the change and how to adjust to the different surfaces, it all depends on how they oil the lanes. The lanes might change week to week until they get the pattern they want. You will probably have to learn to play a more direct line possibly as far right as 10 at the arrows and either going straight up the boards or a slight arc to 7. Its going to be trial and error to find the right line. After a while the same line and ball should work at the same house on fresh conditions. When going to other centers it will be the same thing, trial and error to find the line that will work for you there.
HS:763

#56692 - 05/15/08 01:28 PM Re: new lanes [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Quote:
I don't belive i have ever bowled on a League ready synthetic lane, So i basically have no clue what to expect.

My best description of bowling on synthetic lanes, especially new ones is "bowling on ice".

But it will depend on how they oil the lanes. New lanes need to settle like a new home. It also takes a while for the mechanics to learn how to oil the new surface. They will probably try to get the condition similar to what you had, but it will not play the same.

Erin

#56727 - 05/15/08 11:07 PM Re: new lanes [Re: Atochabsh]
Arthur Offline
Bantam

The way my no mercy is drilled, if i throw it the same as my cell i will go through the 3. The no mercy is really being used for only lanes which have quite a bit of rundown, so it can grab thru the oil on the back half. I only bowl at one center so the balls i currently have are really made for that bowling center and drilled for that center. The Pro Shop guy their has been their 10 years and is also my bowling coach, He's very familiar with the lanes their and how and what balls tend to react the best their.

I've been bowling league for less then 2 years, so switching my hand position to try and go down the 10 board isn't going to happen consitantly yet and i have not bought a ball yet that will do it. The only way for me to throw down the 5-10 is with a plastic spare ball to keep the ball from going thru the nose or crossing across the headpin.

I have the money to get a new ball or 2 but decided to hold off due to the changing of the lanes from an 20+ year wood to a New synthetic. So i guess a better question is what would be better trying to adjust the coverstock to i guess something on the duller side or getting a new ball drilled up for the synthetic

#56728 - 05/15/08 11:08 PM Re: new lanes [Re: Arthur]
Arthur Offline
Bantam

The way my no mercy is drilled, if i throw it the same as my cell i will go through the 3. The no mercy is really being used for only lanes which have quite a bit of rundown, so it can grab thru the oil on the back half. I only bowl at one center so the balls i currently have are really made for that bowling center and drilled for that center. The Pro Shop guy their has been their 10 years and is also my bowling coach, He's very familiar with the lanes their and how and what balls tend to react the best their.

I've been bowling league for less then 2 years, so switching my hand position to try and go down the 10 board isn't going to happen consitantly yet and i have not bought a ball yet that will do it. The only way for me to throw down the 5-10 is with a plastic spare ball to keep the ball from going thru the nose or crossing across the headpin.

I have the money to get a new ball or 2 but decided to hold off due to the changing of the lanes from an 20+ year wood to a New synthetic. So i guess a better question is what would be better trying to adjust the coverstock to i guess something on the duller side or getting a new ball drilled up for the synthetic

#56730 - 05/15/08 11:20 PM Re: new lanes [Re: Arthur]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
I don't think you need to adjust surface or get a new ball to play on synthetics. The equipment you have will work but probably on a different line. The Cell is one of the most aggressive balls currently on the market. Unless the center puts very little or no oil on the lane you will have to play a straighter line than on the wood lanes. I'm not saying straight up the boards just covering less boards. A change in hand position probably won't be needed to play straighter as synthetics don't play the same as wood, especially brand new lanes. You will need to learn to be comfortable and trust a different line than you want to play. Try going 12 at the arrows out to 5 when you get on the new lanes and then adjust from there. I wouldn't even think of a new ball until the center is finished adjusting the pattern.
HS:763

#56735 - 05/15/08 11:40 PM Re: new lanes [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Arthur, the bowler has to adjust to what the lanes allow you to play. And, every lane will be different. you cannot just assume that you can always stand in the same spot, and roll over the same target, and get the same results. The bowler has to adjust.

And, balls do roll differently on wood versus synthetics. Another adjustment will be needed. But, I don't see a ball change required.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#56743 - 05/16/08 01:56 AM Re: new lanes [Re: Dennis Michael]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
You will have to learn how to move and adjust your line of play for optimum carry. That's the name of the game no matter where you bowl league or what house you visit. Those that find the line first, score the best. You cannot have a "I stand here, and throw there" attitude.

Now for a better question. How do you learn how to move and adjust to a foreign shot? That's what you should be asking.

It takes experience in watching how your ball moves and impacts the pins (whether its in the pocket or not). And how you are going to read that information and make adjustments. You might have to play 10 board, 5 board swing out to 5 and then back to the pocket....or you might have to point the ball with a 3 board point off the 5 board with less ball speed.

There are a lot of variables that you probably have not yet been introduced to. Doesn't mean you cannot learn them, but it will take time. But there are so many variables that you cannot simply ask a quick question and get an instant answer.

The Three Ds.......Diligence, Determination and Dedication to the sport. Its not going to be a matter of "how do drill the ball do work here" or "what ball should I buy to use on this condition". It takes patience, lessons, bowling with better bowlers and researching more written information.

Erin

#56754 - 05/16/08 09:57 AM Re: new lanes [Re: Atochabsh]
NewYorkDave Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: M/NY
Originally Posted By: Atochabsh

My best description of bowling on synthetic lanes, especially new ones is "bowling on ice".

You ain't kidding. Since I got back into it, I've been working out at a house with synthetic and it's been very frustrating for me. I roll a plastic ball and was always more or less a straight shooter, but... geez. I'm used to getting a little bit of traction at the back end, even with plastic. But last night, on the way home from the dentist, I came upon an older center and stopped in for a practice game. The lane was wood, nicely maintained, and it felt so RIGHT to me. I bowled my best game since my "comeback." When I heard the distinctive mellow sound of my ball touching down on the wood, it felt like 1978 all over again--except for the hundred pounds of extra body weight and the sore joints, that is.

Of course, I realize some of the difference is probably due to how the two houses clean and oil their lanes. The older center is more of a "real bowler's house" and I wouldn't be surprised if they're more conscientious about lane maintenance.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Fin09 - 12/14/18 11:31 AM
New Pro Shop Near My House
by Mkirchie - 11/26/18 05:05 PM
Trying to keep my throw straight
by spr3wr - 11/24/18 08:49 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to all
by djp1080 - 11/22/18 10:49 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.