BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#5664 - 08/19/04 09:14 AM Sport Shot.......Strategies
Reido Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 49 / M / York, PA
Hi All:

I'm getting information together on bowling on the sport shot. Does anyone in the group have any suggestions on how to approach this condition for the very first time? This is a tournament Labor Day weekend and I want to go to try it out. I'm not expecting to come in last, I know I won't win it and it's highly unlikely that I'll cash. I'm going in to try it out and see what it's like.

I've heard the best shot is to play down the boards with some good forward roll with accuracy is the key and not to expect to cover a lot of boards. I'll be going in with my Animal cleaned and dulled and the Monster Purple just cleaned. Any suggestions?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#5665 - 08/19/04 10:22 AM Re: Sport Shot.......Strategies
petrinjak Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 34/Male/Virginia
Reido-
I actually don't have an answer for you but your post made me think about something...not to hijack your post but I want to ask...

What is actually done in the release to change the roll on the ball...inother words, what changes give more forward roll, what changes give more of a full roll, etc...

Sorry to interupt

#5666 - 08/19/04 02:28 PM Re: Sport Shot.......Strategies
Reido Offline
League Bowler

pet.......

From what I've found out from recent experience, the more you stay behind the ball the more you give it forward roll. Instead of giving the ball more side rotation, you get the ball to roll more end over end.

Hope that helps.

#5667 - 08/19/04 03:43 PM Re: Sport Shot.......Strategies
Coach04 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: Male/Texas
This is from sportbowling.com:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prior to Sport Bowling league/tournament competition, the following must be done:

Each lane shall be stripped prior to oiling of the Sport condition
The ratio of oil applied to the lane from the center boards to the outside boards must not exceed 2:1 for all tapes taken.
The ratio shall be defined as the average amount of oil (in units) between boards 18-18 divided by the average on the outsides (boards R3-R7 & L3-L7).
The amount of oil measured on the outside boards (average of R/L3-7) at 15 feet must be greater than 10 units, and the amount of oil measured on the center boards (average of L18 to R18) must not exceed 80 units of oil.
The maximum amount of oil from boards R8 to R17 and L8 to L17 shall not be greater than 120% of the average of boards L18 to R18.
The minimum amount of oil from boards R8 to R17 shall not be less than 80% of the average of boards R3 to R7.
The minimum amount of oil from boards L8 to L17 shall not be less than 80% of the average of boards L3 to L7.
Tapes will be taken at 15, 25, and 2 before the end of the pattern.
A backend inspection shall also be performed to verify stripping.
There is no pattern length minimum or maximum.
There is no lengthwise ratio requirement.
All other ABC/WIBC requirements are still in effect (i.e. 3-unit minimum).
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basically it is like someone put butter all over the lane then covered it in Crisco. It is slippery all the way to the ditch, so an out of bounds shot is a gutterball. Good accuracy and an early roll are critical, if you induce skid the ball wont turn the corner.

#5668 - 08/19/04 03:53 PM Re: Sport Shot.......Strategies
Coach04 Offline
Legend

Petrinjak,

Keep the thumb at 12, set the ball down right at the foul line, follow through with a flat palm straight up with low power. The ball will begin rolling as soon as it is released.

From that being the basis of a full roller, you alter the thumb position to the left, and delay the release to induce skid. That takes you into semi roller territory.

Continuing to alter the thumb position left, to induce side roll or rpm, and increasing loft, starts to take you toward a cranking style.

#5669 - 08/20/04 07:25 AM Re: Sport Shot.......Strategies
Bojangles Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: M/SC
I'm getting from this that, if you are a full roller to a semi low-speed roller that you have a built in advantage for sport lanes as long as you can remain accurate. Is that right?
Bo.

#5670 - 08/20/04 08:35 AM Re: Sport Shot.......Strategies
Reido Offline
League Bowler

I think what I'm seeing is that I need to get on a regular house shot and practice going down the 3rd arrow, in the oil, to get used to getting the ball to roll in oil, correct?

#5671 - 08/20/04 07:41 PM Re: Sport Shot.......Strategies
Coach04 Offline
Legend

Bo,

The full roller has a built in advantage on all lane conditions, because if the ball is rolling in full contact with the floor, then the amount of oil is moot. Oil only effects a sliding ball. Think about driving a car on ice. If you try to take off fast, the tires break traction. They are spinning forward, but the car goes sideways. If you take off slowly keeping the tires from spinning the car goes straight. The same is true for the ball. If you rev it up in oil it will slide until it slows down enough to gain traction on the lane, then goes in the direction if the spin. The slicker the lane, the further it slides before it slows down enough to turn.

The drawback is that you have to have unbelievable repeatability and accuracy in your delivery. The only effect on the ball is the physics of the ball, so to fall into that window of performance, nothing else can vary. If the ball reaches the pocket, at the correct entry angle, when thrown from board 10, at 12.59 mph. Then that is what you will have to do on every shot.

If you hit board 9 you miss, if you hit board 11 you miss, if you hit 13 mph you go long, hit 12 mph and you go short. etc. etc.. You have to remember that the entry angle for a strike is very narrow from the right side of the lane, so accuracy is the most critical thing. As you move left the angle opens up and accuracy goes down in importance, but lane conditions go up in importance.

I played a woman last night on slick lanes. She played a very basic, very repeatable full to semi-roller game up the ten board. I chose to play a more dynamic game from board 25 swinging the ball out and catching the dry backend. My strikes were decisive and explosive, hers were soft and tumbling. She had a few splits, I had 1 split. She picked hers up, I missed mine. But I fought with single frozen pins all night. 7, 8, 9, &10, every adjustment changed the leftover frozen pin. So I was shooting a lot of 9/spares, against her strikes and ocasional spares.

The end results were she beat me by 27 pins in game 1. She beat me by 6 pins in game 2, I beat her by 40 pins in game 3. We split points at 2 and 2.

So which was a better stratigy?

In the heavy oil on fresh lanes, and fresh energy, her stratigy was better. But as lanes broke down and she tired, mine was better. Ideally I should have played a roller to start, and moved with the change in the lanes as the games progressed. That is what makes us a cut above other bowlers, is when we can recognize when and where to make changes in our own stratigy. Unfortunately I recognized my mistake when analyizing my performance after the games were over.

Just as a side note, this womans average is 196, mine is 217, I should have beaten her decisively, but I didn't. Playing against someone who is good with a full roller is scary. You have to hope they begin to err in their delivery. If a full roller is their only game, and they know how to adjust speed to counter lane changes, you have a tough battle ahead.

#5672 - 08/20/04 07:47 PM Re: Sport Shot.......Strategies
Coach04 Offline
Legend

Sorry, that should have said, "if they know how to adjust speed to counter fatigue"

#5673 - 08/20/04 07:53 PM Re: Sport Shot.......Strategies
Coach04 Offline
Legend

Reido,

Rolling it from the third arrow may not be the best practice because it will move the ball too close to the head pin and cause you to practice throwing harder than if you were playing the second arrow.

You can practice the full roller on any lane condition. The problem is, if it isn't slick your errors won't be obvious. You might ask the management when they oil, and ask to practice on a fresh lane. For a house shot, that is the slickest it will ever be.

The next best thing is to bowl behind a bumber bowling birthday party. Oil will be all over the lane when they are through. smile

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - Today at 03:29 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by 6_ball_man - Yesterday at 10:22 AM
no one on for 5 days
by 82Boat69 - 05/23/18 04:38 PM
True Motion vs. Black Widow Urethane
by Mkirchie - 05/20/18 07:28 AM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Dennis Michael - 05/12/18 06:43 PM
For the good of the sport?
by Dennis Michael - 04/29/18 10:29 PM
Superstitions?
by Dennis Michael - 04/26/18 06:09 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.